Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chiang Mai - MO or Chedi

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2006, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Chiang Mai - MO or Chedi

Reposted from Hotel Forum. Looking for some advice for our fall trip to Asia. We are all set except for our Chiang Mai Hotel for 3 nights.

In Hong Kong it's the Penn, the Oriental in BKK. Pai River Cottage in Pai for Loy Kratong (our version of authentic Thai roughing it).

I am torn between the Chedi and the M Oriental in Chiang Mai. Last time in CM, stayed at the Ramchamankha which was nice, but something lacking. Like the idea that the Chedi is in town, but I know it's new and a bit stark. Does anyone have any insights into the Chedi? We always look for a lively place, hopefully luxurious, and helpful staff, especially for last minute touring. Thanks much.
Old May 11, 2006, 5:38 pm

Just had a few friends stay at the Oriental Dara Devi in Chiang Mai. They loved it as there were many things to do there like ride bikes around the grounds, ride water buffalows or take a horse drawn carraige ride all for free. The building and grounds are spectacular. My wife and I live just down the road from the Oriental which is only about 5 kilometers from the city center and next to the handicraft district. The Chedi is on the river but looks pretty deserted and dead. We drive past the Chedi several times a week on the other side of the river and we never see anyone there enjoying the river view.

Just our thoughts,
Randy and Ning
Old May 12, 2006, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allthai
Just had a few friends stay at the Oriental Dara Devi in Chiang Mai. They loved it as there were many things to do there like ride bikes around the grounds, ride water buffalows or take a horse drawn carraige ride all for free. The building and grounds are spectacular. My wife and I live just down the road from the Oriental which is only about 5 kilometers from the city center and next to the handicraft district. The Chedi is on the river but looks pretty deserted and dead. We drive past the Chedi several times a week on the other side of the river and we never see anyone there enjoying the river view.

Just our thoughts,
Randy and Ning
Randy & Ning, thanks for your insights. You sold me on the MO. My only hesitation at this point about the MO is how easy is it to get to town as we will probably go in at least once or twice a day. Can't imagine a tuk tuk for that long. Do you know if the MO has a reasonable service - are closed taxi's available? And of course once in town, how to find someone to return us? Really appreciate your help. Stashe.
Old May 12, 2006, 4:28 pm

Hi Stashe,

I would use a metered Taxi. When you use the taxi the first time you can make arrangements with the driver to meet you everyday and where at what time. The price is 30 baht for the first 2 km and 4 baht for each subsequent kilometer. Waiting time, 1 baht per minute. Taxi Call Center, Tel. 053-279291, 053-271242 ext 16. Call Center hours are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. 20 to 40 baht charge for call-out service, depending on location.

Randy and Ning
Old May 21, 2006, 8:28 am

Does anyone know if the Colonial Suites at the MO are in use by now? All reviews on the web seem to be for the Villas. Also, has the second swimming pool (next to the Colonial Suites) been completed?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
(bump)

we're hoping to stay at the mo for a week in october, i'm curious if anyone's stayed there yet?

thanks
karen

Last edited by karenkay; Jun 8, 2006 at 6:34 pm Reason: answered the second question all by myself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.