Wiki Posts
Search

Is Thailand Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Is Thailand Safe?

Excuse me if this is a stupid but question but with the recent attacks do you think it is still safe to visit Thailand this summer? I think it probably it is, but I figured I would ask the 'experts' here on flyertalk .
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Thailand is a big country. Think NY to Miami.

So whatever turmoil is happening way down in the south, I wouldn't worry about the rest of the country. Heck, you're a New Yorker. There are some that would consider our city dangerous.

Dan
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:34 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Excuse me if this is a stupid but question but with the recent attacks do you think it is still safe to visit Thailand this summer? I think it probably it is, but I figured I would ask the 'experts' here on flyertalk .
Here's a site to help you stay abreast of news from Thailand:
http://www.thailanddaily.com/

I am going back in September and am not concerned, although I am not planning to go to the deep south.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I would say to be safe you stay away from the west coast resorts. Ideally head to Koh Samui or Koh Tao, if there was to be an attack from terrorists they will go for dense areas of westerners.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:32 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Having just spent most of the last 7 months in Thailand (including 4+ weeks in Phuket), I feel safe everywhere. I wouldn't go to the deep south. With the low cost carriers, there is no reason to anyway.

Areas with the problems have virtually no tourists. The gov't won't accept threats to its' tourist income.

The problems there although reported as religious in nature... I suspect to be more political and based on the high level of corruption in the deep south...
... but then I'm a naive Canadian, what to I know.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:50 am
Suspended

Totally safe. Just keep it wrapped up if you "date" a local girl after paying her bar fine.

correction : double wrap it
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Having just spent most of the last 7 months in Thailand (including 4+ weeks in Phuket), I feel safe everywhere. I wouldn't go to the deep south. With the low cost carriers, there is no reason to anyway.

Areas with the problems have virtually no tourists. The gov't won't accept threats to its' tourist income.

The problems there although reported as religious in nature... I suspect to be more political and based on the high level of corruption in the deep south...
... but then I'm a naive Canadian, what to I know.
I am flying into BKK in a few weeks and will see how hard the rains are hitting Phuket/Krabi before making a decision where to go. I have heard of some great hotel specials in the region. During your month there did you find any specials you could pass on?

Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2005, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tiojelly
I am flying into BKK in a few weeks and will see how hard the rains are hitting Phuket/Krabi before making a decision where to go. I have heard of some great hotel specials in the region. During your month there did you find any specials you could pass on?

Thanks
I'm going to Thailand in June. However, Amanpuri is offering 50% of all of their rates until 10-31 because of the tsunami. You can travel there for as little as 335USD (normal rate is 675USD+...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.