Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping advice Thailand

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2002, 6:42 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Tipping advice Thailand

I am on a hotel pkg which includes transportation(Bkk-Pattaya rt Bkk-local hotel rt etc.) Have not been to Thailand for a number of years. Is the service charge added to most checks still 10% and what would be appropriate for the drivers(not sure what type vehicles will be used). Your advice is appreciated
Old May 14, 2002, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Yes, 10% is still a standard service charge added to a ++ (plus-plus, as opposed to NETT) charge. Most westerners that cater to farang (foreigners) add service. It is virtually always clearly indicated on the bill. If service is not added, usually loose change (if the bill was paid in cash) is sufficient, which will rarely be more than 40-50 cents equivalent. If you see mainly Thais in a restaurant that is a 'local' sort of place, or up-country (up-country is a term coined by Bangkok Thais that refers to just about anywhere in Thailand outside the core metropolitan area of Bangkok) you can bet your bottom dollar (sorry, baht) that locals will be tipping loose change, or a 20-baht (~45 cents) note. Most Thais do not appreciate farang being 'generous' as that simply drives up the expectations for everyone (unless said Thais are on the receiving end of the tip .

For a private car/driver from Bangkok to Pattaya, I would say that 100 baht would be enough. If it is a group operation, unless the guide says something, I would assume that the tip is included.
Old May 17, 2002, 12:13 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Traveler, Thanks

[This message has been edited by 1000k00 (edited 05-17-2002).]
Old May 17, 2002, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1000k00:
[B]Traveler, Thanks</font>
Mai bpen rai, khrup (Your welcome.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.