Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK to Khao Yai National Park

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:32 am
Original Poster

BKK to Khao Yai National Park

What's the best way to get from BKK or DMK to Khao Yai National Park and/or the most affordable way? I'll by flying from Singapore back to Thailand so I can pick either airport. Also, where can I stay overnight in or near Khao Yai? My budget is USD $150/nt or less. Finally, is it worth it to hike in Khao Yai and can you swim beneath a waterfall there?

This is the Hiking Portion of my trip. My other thought is to head to Chiang Mai afterwards and do some hiking there. Would love recommendations.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:13 am
Original Poster

UPDATE: Just booked my flight from SIN to DMK, so I'll need to depart from DMK. I'm considering a trip to Ayutthaya before Khao Yai, but I may be All Templed Out after visiting Angkor Wat for 3 days, Tiger Cave Temple in Krabi, and the main temples in BKK. What do y'all think? Should I head directly for Khao Yai?

When I'm finished in Khao Yai I may want to go hiking around Chiang Mai. Sorry if I already mentioned that. Or not. Is Chiang Mai not to be missed?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
a nice accomodation in Khao Yai is the Movenpick Khao Yai. I would only go by car to Khao Yai, so rental car might be an option.
To Chiang Mai I would not go during April as there is still too much air pollution (burning season)
If you have done Angkor Wat and some other temples, I would not go to Ayutthaya
moretimeoffguy likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:33 pm

Best bet is to rent a car. You'll want to be able to move around in Khao Yai on your own. DMK is on the way to Ayutthaya and Khao Yai.

-David
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
a nice accomodation in Khao Yai is the Movenpick Khao Yai. I would only go by car to Khao Yai, so rental car might be an option.
To Chiang Mai I would not go during April as there is still too much air pollution (burning season)
Especially if you like Disney castles

Agree on Chiang Mai at this time of year, and on only going to Khao Yai by car.
BinSabai and moretimeoffguy like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Especially if you like Disney castles

Agree on Chiang Mai at this time of year, and on only going to Khao Yai by car.
well, Khao Yai is also well known for all the italian style places....Palio Khao Yai and others....
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
What's the best way to get from BKK or DMK to Khao Yai National Park and/or the most affordable way? I'll by flying from Singapore back to Thailand so I can pick either airport. Also, where can I stay overnight in or near Khao Yai? My budget is USD $150/nt or less. Finally, is it worth it to hike in Khao Yai and can you swim beneath a waterfall there? YES AND YES BUT HIRE A GUIDE.

This is the Hiking Portion of my trip. My other thought is to head to Chiang Mai afterwards and do some hiking there. Would love recommendations.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks BinSabai. I tried driving abroad once, in Ireland, wrong side of the road for me. Since then I've sworn off ever driving in a foreign country again. I don't have an International Driver's License anyhow so I'll need other transport options to Khao Yai. I see in Thailand driving is on the left, so that's absolutely out of the question for me personally. I hate driving even at home where I live.

Excellent, I'll skip Ayutthaya then. Does Chiang Rai have the same pollution problems as Chiang Mai? Any suggestions on how to spend my last 5 nights in Thailand, including Khao Yai? How many nights should I devote to it? I'll have spent 2 nights in BKK on arrival, then 5 nights in Krabi (that was my Beach / Island Adventure segment).

I'm not much of a City guy outside of outstanding cities like Rome, Paris, London, etc. So I'm not sure I want to be stuck in BKK for the remainder of my trip.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:36 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Thanks BinSabai. I tried driving abroad once, in Ireland, wrong side of the road for me. Since then I've sworn off ever driving in a foreign country again. I don't have an International Driver's License anyhow so I'll need other transport options to Khao Yai. I see in Thailand driving is on the left, so that's absolutely out of the question for me personally. I hate driving even at home where I live.

Excellent, I'll skip Ayutthaya then. Does Chiang Rai have the same pollution problems as Chiang Mai? Any suggestions on how to spend my last 5 nights in Thailand, including Khao Yai? How many nights should I devote to it? I'll have spent 2 nights in BKK on arrival, then 5 nights in Krabi (that was my Beach / Island Adventure segment).

I'm not much of a City guy outside of outstanding cities like Rome, Paris, London, etc. So I'm not sure I want to be stuck in BKK for the remainder of my trip.
Chiang Rai sadly is prone to the same problem as Chiang Mai this time of year.

One suggestion would be to go to Kanchanaburi - nature, history (albeit a tragic piece of it), etc. You can take a train there from Bangkok to avoid having to drive too.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:05 am

Bangkok is also an outstanding city like Rome, Paris, London...
if you have never spent some time in Bangkok, do it and you will not regret....at least 2-3 days
stay at a hotel close to the river and go by boat to Ratanakosin, where the most important temple are, to Wat Arun and to China Town....
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:34 am

Bangkok is also an outstanding city like Rome, Paris, London...
if you have never spent some time in Bangkok, do it and you will not regret....at least 2-3 days
stay at a hotel close to the river and go by boat to Ratanakosin, where the most important temple are, to Wat Arun and to China Town....
Could not agree more - Bangkok has tonnes to offer
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Chiang Rai sadly is prone to the same problem as Chiang Mai this time of year.

One suggestion would be to go to Kanchanaburi - nature, history (albeit a tragic piece of it), etc. You can take a train there from Bangkok to avoid having to drive too.
Nice. Got any hotel suggestions? And do you, or does anyone, know of a good high waterfall I can swim beneath in Thailand? I once swam beneath a really tall waterfall in northern Costa Rica. It was a locals hang-out and I was taken there by a travel writer friend of mine. Super experience. I hear many places with high waterfalls won't let you swim beneath them due to the liability from potential falling stones.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Nice. Got any hotel suggestions? And do you, or does anyone, know of a good high waterfall I can swim beneath in Thailand? I once swam beneath a really tall waterfall in northern Costa Rica. It was a locals hang-out and I was taken there by a travel writer friend of mine. Super experience. I hear many places with high waterfalls won't let you swim beneath them due to the liability from potential falling stones.
It's been a million years since I've been inside the national park proper at Khao Yai, but I'm pretty once upon a time I swam under some waterfalls there. Unclear what your standards are as to "high" waterfalls.

Erawan National Park close-ish to the western border with Burma is the famous place where people go to swim in waterfalls I think. The word about it is very much out though. Also along the border with Burma, but much further north compared to Erawan, is Thi Lo Su waterfall which is I believe the tallest waterfall in Thailand. I believe they made entry-requirements much more strict recently and you might now have to be part of some excursion group.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Thi So Lu is worth going to. Bueng Kan is a province worth going to with some beautiful waterfalls.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies. My trip was getting too costly, so I'm trying to book with mostly IHG properties. Had good luck so far in Krabi and Singapore. Anyone stayed at the InterContinental Khao Yai Resort / know anything about it? For my dates I'm seeing rates of 24K IHG pts/nt:

https://khaoyai.intercontinental.com/

I see it's a Bill Bensley-designed property. Saw a special on him eons ago on the CBS' Sunday Morning show and found it inspiring. I'd totally forgotten about him until today.

Was thinking 2 nights there, but if I booked 3 nights I'd get a 4th night free. That would leave me one night remaining in Bangkok before flying out to Tokyo. What might it be like staying there for 4 nights? Enough to keep me busy or at least relaxed and chilling out?

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Apr 6, 2024 at 2:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.