Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Krabi > Phi Phi > Phuket Hotels & Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:26 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I'm seeing decent prices at the Sand Sea Resort on Railay Beach. But evidently, half the property is on Railay West and half is on Railay East. Anyone know for sure how I can be sure to book a room on the Railay West side? (evidently the West is the more desirable side). Prices are around USD $59/nt to $150/nt.

Railay Bay Resort & Spa looks good too but rooms begin at USD $110/nt.

I'm thinking of spending 3 nights at Railay, then staying 2 nights somewhere on Phi Phi, then end in Phuket.

One glitch may be that flights from DMK to Krabi don't arrive until 6 pm or 7 pm in the evening. Is that too late to find transport to Ao Nang and then a longboat to Railay? I arrive at DMK from Siem Reap at 2:30 pm in the afternoon and can't find any flights into Krabi that arrive any earlier than 6 pm. Doesn't it get dark at 6 pm in Thailand in April? (probably most places in SEA). Will that be a safety issue or concern?

And BinSabai, is this the Sofitel you stayed at? It's running USD $139/nt to start. Would it be worth the money to stay here vs. the places I mentioned?

Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort
exactly, it is this Sofitel!

Staying at a hotel in Railey and staying at the Sofitel are totally different.
As you already know, you have to take a boat to get to Railey (despite it's actually no island but on the mainlaind without any road access)...and then guests usually stay there...Railey is very beautiful, but it is getting very crowded during the day, when all the day tourists arrive. The most beautiful time for guests staying in one of the hotels there is in the early morning and the evening, before and after all the day tourists arrive.
Sofitel is more a luxury base (with a huge swimming pool and many hotel facilities), from where you make trips to different places in Krabi
so it really depends on your preferences....
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
exactly, it is this Sofitel!

Staying at a hotel in Railey and staying at the Sofitel are totally different.
As you already know, you have to take a boat to get to Railey (despite it's actually no island but on the mainlaind without any road access)...and then guests usually stay there...Railey is very beautiful, but it is getting very crowded during the day, when all the day tourists arrive. The most beautiful time for guests staying in one of the hotels there is in the early morning and the evening, before and after all the day tourists arrive.
Sofitel is more a luxury base (with a huge swimming pool and many hotel facilities), from where you make trips to different places in Krabi
so it really depends on your preferences....
Thanks BinSabai. So is Railay more visually stunning? I’d probably be busy with touristy adventures during the day and might only hit the beach in the late afternoon so that doesn’t bother me much. But I do wonder how much of a hassle it will be to stay in Railay when I know I want to do other touristy things the Tiger Cave temple, etc.

Definitely want limestone eye Candy while I’m there and clear blue water. I’m thinking of booking 2 nights on Phi Phi Don next. Any hotel recommendations there? Then the final few days of my beach adventure would be in Phuket unless it’s more advisable to go to Koh Samui—assuming it’s even possible to get there from Phi Phi—I don’t think it is.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

What about staying longer in Krabi, only seeing the Phi Phi islands on a day trip from Krabi, and avoiding Phuket completely? Is Krabi worth a week? It might be a lot less hectic and more enjoyable to stay in one place. I’m already doing a lot of travel on this trip. Wouldn’t hurt to stay out, right?

I could even split up my stay between Railay and elsewhere in Krabi, though it would be awfully nice to unpack once.

Does Railay have a run-downish backpacker vibe? I could go for more luxury but I just can’t afford that area in Krabi having all 5 Star resorts costing around USD $500/nt. I’d only ever spend that much, if ever, on an OWB I could swim and snorkel from. It’s just out of budget. Here I was thinking Thailand would be budget friendly in general but I’m not rolling back the clock and staying in hostels either.

Finally, any votes for spending a few nights in Koh Lanta? Few crowds there, right? How relaxing is it and are there any resorts or bungalows you’d recommend there?

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Mar 29, 2024 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:23 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
What about staying longer in Krabi, only seeing the Phi Phi islands on a day trip from Krabi, and avoiding Phuket completely? Is Krabi worth a week? It might be a lot less hectic and more enjoyable to stay in one place. I’m already doing a lot of travel on this trip. Wouldn’t hurt to stay out, right?

I could even split up my stay between Railay and elsewhere in Krabi, though it would be awfully nice to unpack once.

Does Railay have a run-downish backpacker vibe? I could go for more luxury but I just can’t afford that area in Krabi having all 5 Star resorts costing around USD $500/nt. I’d only ever spend that much, if ever, on an OWB I could swim and snorkel from. It’s just out of budget. Here I was thinking Thailand would be budget friendly in general but I’m not rolling back the clock and staying in hostels either.

Finally, any votes for spending a few nights in Koh Lanta? Few crowds there, right? How relaxing is it and are there any resorts or bungalows you’d recommend there?
I would personally go with the option you suggest, and skip Phuket in favour of more time in Krabi. Phuket is rather overrun with Russians these days, and from what I have seen not the most pleasant crowd (no offence intended to anyone), as it is one of the few places they can go easily.
moretimeoffguy and BinSabai like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I would personally go with the option you suggest, and skip Phuket in favour of more time in Krabi. Phuket is rather overrun with Russians these days, and from what I have seen not the most pleasant crowd (no offence intended to anyone), as it is one of the few places they can go easily.
Thanks SKT-DK. So, I've got 3 nights booked at the Railay Bay Resort and Spa. The manager promises my room will be on the West side. Should I stay elsewhere in Krabi for another 3 nights or should I try out Koh Lanta? I probably won't be back in SEA for quite a while, so I'm trying to make the best choice possible. If Koh Lanta, which beach?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

So, I'm wondering. I have 3 nights in Krabi booked on West Railay Beach at the Railay Bay Resort and Spa. But it costs $410 for the total stay. And I still need to book another 3 nights in Krabi for 6 nights total. Just checked IHG and there's the Holiday Inn Resort Krabi Ao Nang Beach which only costs 11K IHG pts/nt. Seems decent enough and I'm not really a beach guy. If I switched to book all 6 nights at the Holiday Inn, is my experience going to be that much different than staying on Railay Beach? It would be nice to cut cash-outlay costs and book with points, but I don't want it to be at the expense of a nice experience. Or should I keep the 3 day stay on Railay Beach and book only 3 nights on Ao Nang Beach?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

I saw an offer on the Holiday Inn in Krabi that I couldn't resist. 4th night free which looks like an "IHG Thing" generally. So at a rate of 11K IHG pts/nt, that's only 54K points for a 6 night stay--one night was free and one night was 10K, vs. the other nights were 11K. Hopefully this is a decent choice. No sea view, but I got a King Mountain View with a balcony. Their sea view award rooms only had a sealed window. I think I can live with that. Especially at the cost!
Old Apr 6, 2024, 1:22 pm

I saw an offer on the Holiday Inn in Krabi that I couldn't resist. 4th night free which looks like an "IHG Thing" generally. So at a rate of 11K IHG pts/nt, that's only 54K points for a 6 night stay--one night was free and one night was 10K, vs. the other nights were 11K. Hopefully this is a decent choice. No sea view, but I got a King Mountain View with a balcony. Their sea view award rooms only had a sealed window. I think I can live with that. Especially at the cost!
that looks indeed very favorable as a IHG deal for a Holiday Inn at such a popular location. Never stayed at this hotel so no idea what you can expect.
usually they give you the worst room and of course without breakfast and any amenities if you book with IHG points. I was for many years a Platinum member at IHG but have given up on them as it was a total lottery regarding the benefits....for example: i stayed several times at the same hotel and always got upgrades and lounge access...suddenly at the next visit I got nothing at all and they simply refused to talk with me about their policy...have around 1.3 million IHG points left to burn as their policy regarding award rooms sucks as well....
moretimeoffguy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
that looks indeed very favorable as a IHG deal for a Holiday Inn at such a popular location. Never stayed at this hotel so no idea what you can expect.
usually they give you the worst room and of course without breakfast and any amenities if you book with IHG points. I was for many years a Platinum member at IHG but have given up on them as it was a total lottery regarding the benefits....for example: i stayed several times at the same hotel and always got upgrades and lounge access...suddenly at the next visit I got nothing at all and they simply refused to talk with me about their policy...have around 1.3 million IHG points left to burn as their policy regarding award rooms sucks as well....
Thanks BinSabai! For better or worse I'm keeping it since I've run out of time. Today is my final day for booking hotels, tomorrow I pack, and Monday I fly out. Yeah I believe I'm Platinum Elite--maybe I got that status from having the Chase IHG card? But am not holding my breath on upgrades and/or breakfast. Fortunately it's Thailand, so breakfasts must be cheap.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 6:23 am

Thanks BinSabai! For better or worse I'm keeping it since I've run out of time. Today is my final day for booking hotels, tomorrow I pack, and Monday I fly out. Yeah I believe I'm Platinum Elite--maybe I got that status from having the Chase IHG card? But am not holding my breath on upgrades and/or breakfast. Fortunately it's Thailand, so breakfasts must be cheap.
have a great trip... I never got any upgrade or free breakfast on a award booking with IHG
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Diamond
If you look at the terms, free breakfast is a perk of IHG Diamond so below that it must be purchased or it's goodwill from the hotel (unless it's part of the room fare of course).
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
If you worry about the late arrival and transfer, why not stay one night in Bangkok? You could either stay by DMK airport or move to BKK and take flight from there,
It's $36 and up for flights leaving in the morning from BKK to Krabi
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...________wGYAQI
There are tons of hotels for ~$30 a night around BKK. Can stay on Lat Krabang street or on King Kaeo Road. (That's what I always do on my last day in Bangkok before flying back to US, I stay in one of the local hotels before going to the airport to catch 2am flight).
And there is plenty of local restaurants (I don't know how big you are on Thai food) and most hotels offer free airport transfer.
Indeed, randomly found out about Lat Krabang last year, great location for late arrivals/early departures or short layovers in BKK

Last edited by magXY; Apr 8, 2024 at 4:31 am Reason: missing quote
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by plain
If you look at the terms, free breakfast is a perk of IHG Diamond so below that it must be purchased or it's goodwill from the hotel (unless it's part of the room fare of course).
also on award nights?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:20 am
Original Poster

What are my options for transport from the Krabi airport to my hotel, the Holiday Inn Ao Nang? I’m heading there tomorrow from BKK.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
What are my options for transport from the Krabi airport to my hotel, the Holiday Inn Ao Nang? I’m heading there tomorrow from BKK.
There should be fixed fee taxis around the airport. But I would probably get the hotel to arrange for a car, that likely would be less hassle.
moretimeoffguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.