Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Domestic - Domestic transfer: Are dep/arr pax segregated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Looking at some different itineraries with possible connection at both DMK and BKK. How are domestic airports and BKK/DMK in general set up when it comes to departing/arriving passenger flows? Are departing/arriving passengers segregated meaning any connections requires going through arrivals and clear security again, or is it like in the US where departing/arriving passengers are mixed and you simply walk over to the next gate within minutes?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by B747forever
Looking at some different itineraries with possible connection at both DMK and BKK. How are domestic airports and BKK/DMK in general set up when it comes to departing/arriving passenger flows? Are departing/arriving passengers segregated meaning any connections requires going through arrivals and clear security again, or is it like in the US where departing/arriving passengers are mixed and you simply walk over to the next gate within minutes?
Arriving and departing domestic passengers are not segregated at BKK or DMK. They are mixed. ✈️
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
whether you need to go through security again depends, where your arrival and departing gate and the securites are located.
Swampy had in the past domestic security located just after check in, so both terminal wings A and B were airside and domestic transit possible without going through security again. now secutiry moved closer to the gates
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Do they even let you walk back into airside? With security being upstairs and access to gates via the ramps from the upper floor into the holding pen, I think arriving passengers might now all be directed straight into the lower level outside of the post-security area. I have never attempted to transit at BKK so maybe someone else here has recent information/direct experience.

Keep in mind that with the current setup for the domestic concourses at BKK, all lounges (TG, PG, and the Priority Pass options) and F&B outlets (including a half-decent food court) are pre-security.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
Do they even let you walk back into airside? With security being upstairs and access to gates via the ramps from the upper floor into the holding pen, I think arriving passengers might now all be directed straight into the lower level outside of the post-security area. I have never attempted to transit at BKK so maybe someone else here has recent information/direct experience.

Keep in mind that with the current setup for the domestic concourses at BKK, all lounges (TG, PG, and the Priority Pass options) and F&B outlets (including a half-decent food court) are pre-security.
Yes, that is exactly what happens. Domestic arriving pax at BKK are directed to the domestic terminal lower level, where the shops and lounges are. To get to your connecting flight A or B gate, you go up an escalator and go through A or B security again. There is never a need to go to baggage claim or leave the domestic terminal. An example might be TG HKT-BKK-CNX.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:25 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Yes, that is exactly what happens. Domestic arriving pax at BKK are directed to the domestic terminal lower level, where the shops and lounges are. To get to your connecting flight A or B gate, you go up an escalator and go through A or B security again. There is never a need to go to baggage claim or leave the domestic terminal. An example might be TG HKT-BKK-CNX.
Now that I think about it—didn't domestic use to be all on the lower floor because the upper floor was international to allow for A and B gates to be dual-purpose? Is this no longer possible with domestic security and airside being moved upstairs? Maybe INTL gate shortage is less of a problem now that the satellite is operational(-ish). I vaguely recall back in the days (~10 years ago) A gates used to be a rather common departure concourse for European red-eyes on TG.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:55 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
Now that I think about it—didn't domestic use to be all on the lower floor because the upper floor was international to allow for A and B gates to be dual-purpose? Is this no longer possible with domestic security and airside being moved upstairs? Maybe INTL gate shortage is less of a problem now that the satellite is operational(-ish). I vaguely recall back in the days (~10 years ago) A gates used to be a rather common departure concourse for European red-eyes on TG.
It did indeed, and security used to be centralised by the current boarding pass check before heading down the escalator from check-in. The move to having security split between A and B really baffles me. International flights can still use A and B gates though - my most recent CPH flight used A6.
prathetkrungthep and BinSabai like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

So looks like clearing security again is needed if transiting BKK.

How are the smaller airports, such as CNX? Looking at some segment runs, and want to know if same plane turns are doable.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by B747forever
So looks like clearing security again is needed if transiting BKK.

How are the smaller airports, such as CNX? Looking at some segment runs, and want to know if same plane turns are doable.
The situation is different at CNX. All arriving pax are directed down the escalator to baggage claim and then landslide. You could then go to airline check-in counter or proceed up the landslide elevator to security screening. The domestic side of the airport is small and inadequate for current passenger volumes.

In general, I would say same plane turns are not doable. 😊
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

The situation is different at CNX. All arriving pax are directed down the escalator to baggage claim and then landslide. You could then go to airline check-in counter or proceed up the landslide elevator to security screening. The domestic side of the airport is small and inadequate for current passenger volumes.

In general, I would say same plane turns are not doable. 😊

OK, got it. Just to confirm per above, at DMK domestic connections do not require exiting airside/going through security again. So short connection times should work there.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Are you sure that there is no security screening if you are arriving and taking a domestic flight? I remember going thru a separate security after arriving on an international flight. This was pre covid though.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

When I transferred at BKK LHR-BKK-HKT, I had to clear immigration but I don't remember going through security again.
That was right before the covid and I have hard time remembering if there was another screening after getting the TG domestic boarding pass from the transfer desk and clearing transfer immigration.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
When I transferred at BKK LHR-BKK-HKT, I had to clear immigration but I don't remember going through security again.
That was right before the covid and I have hard time remembering if there was another screening after getting the TG domestic boarding pass from the transfer desk and clearing transfer immigration.
At BKK, you will need to go through security screening again, after clearing transfer immigration. 😊
Davvidd likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

At BKK, you will need to go through security screening again, after clearing transfer immigration. 😊
That's probably what it was. Can't remember now. It was a loooong flight IAD - LHR on UA, then LHR - BKK - HKT on TG.
I know I went through immigration and security at LHR. I had 3 hours connection time and at LHR there is no smoking in the terminal.
The immigration officer asked me how long I'm going to stay in UK, I've told him that about 15 to 20 minutes
At the TG gate when the boarding started, I was not allowed to board unless I showed them return ticket out of Thailand (I was flying on two one way rewards tickets).
That was one of two time that I was ever asked for such. The second time going from Phuket to Singapore for a day flying on two different airlines. The check in lady at HKT (I think Tigerair) asked for proof of leaving from Singapore. I showed her my return boarding pass for the same day SIN-HKT with JetStar and all was good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.