Search

No-cost proof of onward travel booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
No-cost proof of onward travel booking?

Have a trip to SE Asia landing at and returning from BKK in a few weeks. Total trip time is ~ 6 weeks although just the 1st 2 nights and last night (or 2) are planned in Thailand. Just in case the airline (AF @ LAX) needs POOT for =< 30 day stay and doesn't accept our land POOT (we're taking the train to Malaysia), just wondering if there's a site where one can make an easily-refundable/cancellable air reservation out of Thailand. Rather minimize cost as there's usually a FOREX transaction cost.

Rather not patronise the reservation rental websites.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Have a trip to SE Asia landing at and returning from BKK in a few weeks. Total trip time is ~ 6 weeks although just the 1st 2 nights and last night (or 2) are planned in Thailand. Just in case the airline (AF @ LAX) needs POOT for =< 30 day stay and doesn't accept our land POOT (we're taking the train to Malaysia), just wondering if there's a site where one can make an easily-refundable/cancellable air reservation out of Thailand. Rather minimize cost as there's usually a FOREX transaction cost.

Do you have the booking for the train out of Thailand to Malaysia?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Do you have the booking for the train out of Thailand to Malaysia?
Yes, (home) printed SRT tickets in hand. I've just "heard" POOT has to be by air. I can I could also show the extend 30 days for THB 1,900(?) Thai gov't website but prepared to buy a refundable air ticket if necessary.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:26 pm

Yes, (home) printed SRT tickets in hand. I've just "heard" POOT has to be by air. I can I could also show the extend 30 days for THB 1,900(?) Thai gov't website but prepared to buy a refundable air ticket if necessary.
Are you eventually departing from Thailand after your jaunt to Malaysia?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Are you eventually departing from Thailand after your jaunt to Malaysia?
After ~6 weeks, yes (on the same ex-LAX ticket). Was just checking the SV and AF sites for documents and there's a visa requirement for more than 30 days. iatatravelcentre.com says fine with proof of funds (never been asked for that). Might need the POOT. I have Malaysia-Vietnam and Vietnam-Thailand air tickets within the same trip but this probably won't suffice.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:26 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I would think your train tickets should suffice. I do not believe the requirement says it has to be by air (plenty of land border crossings)
Davvidd likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unhelpfully, the SRT tickets only gives the name of the destination but not country. Not sure if showing a SRT timetable will help.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:27 am

Unhelpfully, the SRT tickets only gives the name of the destination but not country. Not sure if showing a SRT timetable will help.
You also can extend your visa after the 30 days and all they are interested is the money you pay for the 30 day extinction. No documents asked either. I got it done at ITSquare. Laksi. If you have your ticket out of Thailand even if it is more than 30 days after your first arrival it won't be an issue.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:28 am

You also can extend your visa after the 30 days and all they are interested is the money you pay for the 30 day extinction. No documents asked either. I got it done at ITSquare. Laksi. If you have your ticket out of Thailand even if it is more than 30 days after your first arrival it won't be an issue.
The Immigration now only asks for your boarding pass and nothing else unless they changed it this year? 2024. I do not think so. It is the airline that will ask for the ticket and since you have one then it is not an issue.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:51 am

POOT is discussed often and for every traveller that says they didn't need it there's another who says they did and would have been denied boarding without it. My advice is don't risk it. Either book a throwaway ticket or an easily refundable one, however I can't recommend a good site for refunds. An alternative is to wait until check in and if you are asked step to the side and book one there and then. Plan what you'll book in advance to ease the process if you have to do it.

Also get yourself a CC with no foreign currency transaction fees.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:16 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
POOT is discussed often and for every traveller that says they didn't need it there's another who says they did and would have been denied boarding without it. My advice is don't risk it. Either book a throwaway ticket or an easily refundable one, however I can't recommend a good site for refunds. An alternative is to wait until check in and if you are asked step to the side and book one there and then. Plan what you'll book in advance to ease the process if you have to do it.

Also get yourself a CC with no foreign currency transaction fees.
this advice is spot on!
there are many reports, that a train ticket or bus ticket to leave the country is not accepted. It totally depends on the check in agent.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
this advice is spot on!
there are many reports, that a train ticket or bus ticket to leave the country is not accepted. It totally depends on the check in agent.
But the OP says they have got an outbound ticket from Thailand. But it is more than 30 days after they land in BKK. So that should not be an issue for them. They are entitled to extend their stay at Immigration for 30 more days after paying. That falls within limit of their outbound ticket from Thailand. I never had an issue with this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Do you have miles that you can float for a cheap economy award ticket, especially in a program that returns miles without penalty when you cancel?

Alternatively, you can purchase a fully refundable ticket if you have the credit card limit to float it. Once you are in Thailand, you can cancel right away for full refund back to card.
Any of the major carriers should be fine for this, buying directly from them. Would not use a 3rd party / Travel Agent for it.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
this advice is spot on!

Agreed. Anyone expecting consistency in this is going to be disappointed.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all. Suspect it will all be a coin toss/dice roll. I can get refundable MH tickets and that will be my at-checkin solution if need be (app already installed on the phone). Not very many forex-free CCs where I am unfortunately (there's one but its availability is uncertain)..
Old Jan 24, 2024, 10:55 am

Have you looked at onwardticket dot com?

I've never had to use it, but it comes up regularly on another forum as an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.