Search

Help with Itinerary PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2023, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (CK/1MM)
Help with Itinerary PLEASE!

[Not sure if this should be posted here or in the hotels sub]

My wife and I are traveling to Thailand this March for her 40th birthday. Neither of us have ever been before. We've got 8 nights (including our arrival day, when we arrive at BKK at 6:30pm). She knows we're going, but beyond that has left it to me to surprise her with the itinerary. Essentially, this is meant to be a tremendous opportunity for the two os us to get away and reconnect - like a honeymoon, part two.

She's OK to do the touristy thing for a day or two, but mainly is seeking out quiet relaxation away from our two very young children and ultra-stressful jobs. While I like to get a bit off the beaten path, she'd be perfectly happy with a leisurely day of pool/beach, yoga/spa, good meals, etc.

We're booked at the Capella Bangkok for three nights when we arrive, which I thought would give us a decent couple days exposure to Bangkok, with the opportunity to relax in between if desired.

On the back end, I've booked us three nights at Six Senses Yao Noi - the scenery looks incredible and I like the idea of getting out on the sea for a day of sailing around the bays.

I could use some help on the in-between two nights though! I had originally wanted to head up to Four Seasons Tented Camp but have been advised to avoid northern Thailand that time of year due to the annual burn. I had also booked Phum Baitang near Angkor War (I know, different country), but that was before I realized the airport changed and now the 15-minute transfer had become 90 minutes each way. I next turned my attention to Soneva Kiri - I love how off-the-beaten-path it seems (particularly the arrival), but realized when I started adding the F&B packages to the room rate, I'm nearly at the same price as eg Amanpuri (which I had originally ignored because I thought it out of our price range). We've stayed at Amans before (in the US and Tokyo) and love the experience, but wonder if this one is worth the splurge? Notably, staying there vs Kiri would save us having to backtrack and transit through Bangkok to get to Six Senses before we leave from HKT.

Can anyone help with a recommendation for those two in-between nights?? Are there other areas/resorts I should be considering that are of similar caliber and would offer the same outstanding experience? I welcome any and all recommendations!

Thank you all!
Old Dec 29, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I just was in Chiang Mai last week and there was no burn. It is the south that is getting flooded. Try Krabi if you prefer something less hectic than Phuket. Soneva is always high priced that it is worth I think.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I just was in Chiang Mai last week and there was no burn. It is the south that is getting flooded. Try Krabi if you prefer something less hectic than Phuket. Soneva is always high priced that it is worth I think.
But in March, when the OP is travelling, there most certainly will be…

I second the suggestion about Krabi - beautiful place.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
definitely avoid the north in march!

between Bangkok and Yao Noi you have to consider, whether to put another sea/beach resort in (in addition to Yao Noi) or anything different (culture, landscape).
3 locations within 8 days are not the real peaceful stressfree vacation either....
Davvidd likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by BinSabai
definitely avoid the north in march!

between Bangkok and Yao Noi you have to consider, whether to put another sea/beach resort in (in addition to Yao Noi) or anything different (culture, landscape).
3 locations within 8 days are not the real peaceful stressfree vacation either....
Yes and if they put Soneva`Kiri which means a flight on a Cessna Grand Caravan from BKK into Koh Mai Si airport and then a boat ride to the resort.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dcenter
[Not sure if this should be posted here or in the hotels sub]

My wife and I are traveling to Thailand this March for her 40th birthday. Neither of us have ever been before. We've got 8 nights (including our arrival day, when we arrive at BKK at 6:30pm). She knows we're going, but beyond that has left it to me to surprise her with the itinerary. Essentially, this is meant to be a tremendous opportunity for the two os us to get away and reconnect - like a honeymoon, part two.

She's OK to do the touristy thing for a day or two, but mainly is seeking out quiet relaxation away from our two very young children and ultra-stressful jobs. While I like to get a bit off the beaten path, she'd be perfectly happy with a leisurely day of pool/beach, yoga/spa, good meals, etc.

We're booked at the Capella Bangkok for three nights when we arrive, which I thought would give us a decent couple days exposure to Bangkok, with the opportunity to relax in between if desired.

On the back end, I've booked us three nights at Six Senses Yao Noi - the scenery looks incredible and I like the idea of getting out on the sea for a day of sailing around the bays.

I could use some help on the in-between two nights though! I had originally wanted to head up to Four Seasons Tented Camp but have been advised to avoid northern Thailand that time of year due to the annual burn. I had also booked Phum Baitang near Angkor War (I know, different country), but that was before I realized the airport changed and now the 15-minute transfer had become 90 minutes each way. I next turned my attention to Soneva Kiri - I love how off-the-beaten-path it seems (particularly the arrival), but realized when I started adding the F&B packages to the room rate, I'm nearly at the same price as eg Amanpuri (which I had originally ignored because I thought it out of our price range). We've stayed at Amans before (in the US and Tokyo) and love the experience, but wonder if this one is worth the splurge? Notably, staying there vs Kiri would save us having to backtrack and transit through Bangkok to get to Six Senses before we leave from HKT.

Can anyone help with a recommendation for those two in-between nights?? Are there other areas/resorts I should be considering that are of similar caliber and would offer the same outstanding experience? I welcome any and all recommendations!

Thank you all!
Hey mate, I've spent alot of time in Thailand and will be moving there in 1.5 years when my son graduates. Here is my recommendation and honest opinion based on my own experience + what your wife likes to do.

You are going in March, and I think I saw where some are talking about rain. Their rainy season is July through October so all good. You are going during high season which is great.

My first recommendation is this! Cancel your Bangkok hotel and reduce it to 2 nights max!! Why? Based on the things you said your wife likes to do is the polar opposite of Bangkok. Bangkok is a crazy city that never sleeps. It's loud, busy and massive. Is there a lot to do there? Sure, but mostly party, eat out, and see some temples here and there. Bangkok is where you go for a bachelor party, certainly not a honey moon. And the rest of Thailand is nothing like Bangkok. In my opinion, everyone should experience 1-2 nights of the insanity that is Bangkok, but out of all the many months of time I've spent in Thailand Bangkok maybe a total of 7 nights in 5 months worth of time and most of those nights were arrival and departure days. I've never sayed more then 2 nights there on anyone trip. It's a massive city, and just visiting 2-3 places will take the entire day and include a ton of stress because its your first time and have no idea where to go and how to get around.

Places you and your wife will love, where you can party if you want, but also relax in peace and quite if you want.
1. Most magical place in my opinion that you can go to is 2 nights at Khao Sok National Park on a floating resort. They are only accesible by boat, and one of the most beatiful places on planet earth. There is no more peace and quite that that anywhere in the country. It's fresh water on cheown lan lake and the water is crystal clear and the most beatiful imerald green. You can swim with 0 fear of sharks or critters and dive right of the porch of your room. You will access it by going to Surat Thani and a 2 hour bus ride that is super easy. DO NOT EVER TAKE A TRAIN OR LONG HAUL BUS during this trip because you will lose sooo much time. Air Asia provides super cheap 1 way flights from Bangkok to Surat Thani from their smaller airport (Old internatinal Airport) and what's great about Surat Thani is after you are done with this destination you can then either fly or take a ferry to one of these two places.

2. Ferry or Fly to Ko Samui. It's the largest Island of the 3 most popular Island in the area. Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, and Ko Tao. What is a very popular thing to do for those in the Surat Thani area is to take the ferry to Ko Phangan, do a couple nights, and then ferry to Ko Samui for a couple nights. The ferrry between the two islands is like $10-15 and runs many times per day and only takes like 1 hour. The reason why you would want to end in Ko Samui if you choose to go to the Islands is it's the onlu Island with an airport that will get you quickly back to Bangkok for your return.

Thailand is pretty well known as a place where people rarely spend more than a couple days in one place because there is so much to see. I don't want to be debbie downer, but most people go for 2 weeks min and many do a month or more simply due to the distance to get there, but once you arrive everything is really cheap. If you are the type that doesn't want to bounce and since you only have 8 days, I can't stress enough to cancel bangkok. It's not a honey moon city at all. Polar opposite and Thailand is paradise with it's beaches and jungles.

3. Phucket - Beaches, Party, Chill Options, Airport
4. Krabi - Beaches, Party, Chiil ioptions, Airport
5. Chiang Mai - No Beaches, In the mountains - lots of temples, very chill, not a huge party scene, Airport
6. Ko Phi Phi - Beaches, Party, Relax, Ferry Only

In closing, since you only have 8 days, My recommendation if you aren't feeling the 1. Khao Sok National Park, then fly directly to Krabi or Phuket from Bangkok. From there you can do your entire trip, or you can get there and go directly to the pier and ferry to Ko Phi Phi Don and do 2 nights there exploring the beaches there. It's pretty amazing and then ferry back to Krabi or Phuket where ever you chose to arrive to

The ferry ride from Krabi to Ko Phi Phi is 2 hours and from Phuket to Ko Phi Phi is 1.5 hours. (20-$30 ride) even just 1 night there is enough. Because that gives you two days in Phi Phi. Which is more than enough to expore it's beauty and then come finish your trip in Krabi or Phuket. (I am saying these places because since you only have 8 nights you need to be by airports only so you don't waste a day traveling. Flights to either city is 45 mins from Bangkok, and it's not like US airport experiences. You will fly from the old airport. You arrive, and are at your gate in 10 mins. No need to be there hours early. I arrive 1 hour before my flights leave when flying out of that airport. Called Don Mueang Airport..

If you only want to do 2 locations due to number of days, which is fine there here is what you do my friend so you aren't wasting time traveling.
2 nights in Bangkok with the earliest flight you can get on monring number 3 to Krabi. (Krabi is a better experince than Phuket because you have to have at leats 1 experince that isn't all westernized and bangkok and Phuket you will see fast food chains and super markets etc everywhere. Krabi will at least give you an off the path vibe even though it's not off the beaten path. (Khao Sol National Park Is Off the Beaten Path). And once in Krabi, you can checkin to your hotel for the duration of your stay and you can then take a day trip to Ko Phi Phi don but not actually stay there unless you want. When I go, I leave my stuff in my room in Phuket or Krabi so I can leave the majority of my stuff, and then just take a small bag and one change of clothes and arrive in Ko Phi Phi, and check into a simple place that's clean and then spend the day around all the little islands by private boat (Google it), it's really cheap and amazing. Then you can chill, eat, and relax in your room afterwards and then take the ferry back to Krabi to spend 4-5 nights and then fly back to Bangkok for your flight home.

If you are needing alone time with your wife, Bangkok is scensory overload and a place where working bar girls will be saying hello to you if you even walk down a soi. So if that would offend your wife, then don't walk down soi's aka Red light districts.

If i was needing to connect and it be a honey moon, I am doing 1 night in Bangkok when I arrive, then immediately flying to Surat Thani and taking a Bus to Khoa Sok National Park and staying at a floating resorts only accessible by boat for 2 nights, and I am then going back to Surat Thani and either ferrying or flying from there to Ko Samui where I will spend all the rest of my time and then fly from there back to Bangkok the last night of the trip so you can get 1 more night of Bangkok and leave out the next day. Either way you will get 2 days of bangkok. Because you def don't want to schedule a flight back to bangkok the day your flight is due to depart from Bangkok unless it leaves late in the evening the day you leave.

Good luck, it will be the time of your lives and you will long to return to that magical place. Because you only have 8 nights when you are departing Thailand and see it leaving in the distance its going to feel like the you just lost the love of your life. It's an emotional feeling leaving that place, and it's the only place that has ever donre that to me having traveld the world.

Enjoy, if you have any questions let me know. And sorry if I am all over the place. I have ADHD and it's really hard for me not to bounce all over the place.
goodeats21, chollie and dcenter like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: Signature Travel Network, Safari Professionals
Hi dcenter,

You certainly have good taste! I agree with all of your choices for accommodations. Capella Bangkok, being right on the river, will give you the perfect introduction to Bangkok and easy access to its various markets, nightlife (if desired) and restaurants. I like that you have 3 nights there so that you can take advantage of the gorgeous room and pools and relax to recover from any jetlag. Likewise, Six Senses Yao Noi is a dream and gives you wonderful access to the Phi Phi s and Phong Nga Bay. For her birthday surprise, perhaps think about arranging a castaway island experience with a sunset BBQ. I would even suggest staying at Six Senses for all 5 nights (as there is so much you can access from here that you won’t get bored). If you have not already, I suggest downloading the Six Senses App which allows you to see all that they offer (which can change from week to week). However, if you wish to have a change of scenery for 2 nights then staying on Phuket is very convenient and I don’t blame you for not wanting to have to fly to Bangkok. Amanpuri is the flagship property for the AMAN brand (being its first) and even with its age, is still a wonderful experience. You can expect a beautiful beach (albeit shared with The Surin next to it), wonderful restaurants, spa and of course the Aman service. For the convenience you could do a lot worse than spending your 2 nights here. I think you are making good choices! You may however, leave Six Senses feeling like 3 nights was too short (that is my only advice to you).

Dianna Upton - Product Manager, SE Asia - Travel Beyond
dcenter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.