Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Taking transit to BKK for a 4 AM flight out of Bangkok?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

So I just booked my flight to Bangkok! I found an itinerary that works for me and allows me to maximize my time in Bangkok. I'll probably be spending the last part of the day at a mall like Siam Paragon, which closes at 10 PM. Are there any malls that close later? After the mall closes, I would like to grab a quick bite before taking transit to the airport. What's the latest possible transit option to BKK for a 4 AM flight? Since this flight isn't part of any alliance, I won't have lounge access through my FFP. I do have a Priority Pass, but I don't know if any lounges are open in the wee hours of the day. If not, then I definitely want to grab a meal before heading to the airport.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Taxi or another car service will be your friend at that hour. Plentifully available too.
As for Priority Pass lounges, I do believe the Miracle lounges are open 24 hours, so should not be a problem.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Taxi or another car service will be your friend at that hour. Plentifully available too.
As for Priority Pass lounges, I do believe the Miracle lounges are open 24 hours, so should not be a problem.
I rather not take a taxi if I don't have to. On my last trip to Bangkok (2018/2019? Forgot!), I was running late and I did take a taxi. I can't remember exactly how much I paid, but my memory is telling me it's around the ฿‎300 range from the Holiday Inn Express. I want to exchange as little cash as possible. I just want to use cash for street food. With the information that I got, it seems like I can use a credit card for transit so the cash requirement should be minimal.

Isn't there something like an airport express? What time is the last train? If the major malls close at 10 PM, I probably need an hour to 1.5 hours for a meal so I'm ready to head to the airport at 11:30 PM. If not, I guess I could eat at 9 PM to ensure I can take the last transit option to BKK?
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: AC*SE • LH*SEN • BA*G • AA*EXP • MB*A • WOH*G • HH*G
Merry Christmas

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'll probably be spending the last part of the day at a mall like Siam Paragon, which closes at 10 PM. Are there any malls that close later?
If by malls you mean those "air conditioned malls" – then no.
Night markets usually close late, usually anywhere until 12 to 2am.

With regards to transit. Just take a taxi for the sake of simplicity – bring at least THB 600-700 in cash to cover the fare plus any applicable tolls.
Airport Rail Link (commonly referred to as ARL) is not in service that late in the evening. The last train is at midnight, and you'd have to take either a taxi, BTS or MRT to Phayathai or Makkasan station, respectively.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jason77W
Merry Christmas

If by malls you mean those "air conditioned malls" – then no.
Night markets usually close late, usually anywhere until 12 to 2am.

With regards to transit. Just take a taxi for the sake of simplicity – bring at least THB 600-700 in cash to cover the fare plus any applicable tolls.
Airport Rail Link (commonly referred to as ARL) is not in service that late in the evening. The last train is at midnight, and you'd have to take either a taxi, BTS or MRT to Phayathai or Makkasan station, respectively.
Aren't night markets "open air"? I meant malls like Siam Paragon. A quick search on Google shows EmSphere closing at midnight?

A quick search on Google Maps shows it's about 20 minutes by transit and walking to Makksan station. So what's the issue with taking the last train at midnight to BKK? I mean, I just need to find a way to get to Makksan before midnight. Preferably at around 11:30 PM?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:56 am

Aren't night markets "open air"? I meant malls like Siam Paragon. A quick search on Google shows EmSphere closing at midnight?
Actually, yes! Emsphere just opened earlier this month, and they do close at midnight because this mall caters to the young. I'm clearly out of touch with the reality. But other than EMS, I don't think there are any malls that would open past 10pm.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
By all means, go by the airport train. You can take a taxi or Grab to Makkasan or straight to the airport. For Grab, you can pay by credit card.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
By all means, go by the airport train. You can take a taxi or Grab to Makkasan or straight to the airport. For Grab, you can pay by credit card.
A quick search on Google is telling me that I can't pay for the airport express with a credit card? Is it cash only?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
i confirm there is a miracle lounge open 24 hours, accessible by priority pass.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
i confirm there is a miracle lounge open 24 hours, accessible by priority pass.
Looks like I won't be hungry after all.

On a serious note, maybe you and other locals can chime in, do you have any recommendations for something good to eat near Siam Paragon or EmSphere? I think that's where I'm going to be on the evening before departure.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
A quick search on Google is telling me that I can't pay for the airport express with a credit card? Is it cash only?
Yes it is cash only, can't even use Prompt Pay scanning a QR code from my Bangkok Bank account.

If you are insisting on using credit card, you could book a taxi/car through Grab or Bolt apps. With Grab they can add on the road tolls (although my last one forgot!) and you can add a tip. All billed to registered credit card.
lsquare and Jason77W like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:33 am

With the information that I got, it seems like I can use a credit card for transit so the cash requirement should be minimal.
That's mostly fake news. Unless you take the MRT (the blue line), you need cash or a bank account to "Scan QR" in order to purchase a single journey ticket. BTS only accepts credit cards when paying over THB 300 – and you'd need to buy at least a few single-journey tickets to reach that threshold. Not feasible.

There are some novice travellers who think public transportation in Bangkok is well connected, like the London Underground's Oyster Cards or Hong Kong's Octopus. But no, we currently have no such thing here. Most subway and 'skytrain' lines are owned by (individual) private companies, all of whom have their own way of running the ticketing system.

TL;DR – You need cash just in case. Period. Unless you have a local bank account (which I assume you do not) it's going to be tough going fully contactless/cashless when getting around.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by manymany
If you are insisting on using credit card, you could book a taxi/car through Grab or Bolt apps. With Grab they can add on the road tolls (although my last one forgot!) and you can add a tip. All billed to registered credit card.
This. This. This.

These services are slightly more expensive than metered taxis, in my experience. But I don't even wanna start ranting about how some taxi drivers charge THB 1k to get to BKK not including tolls, or how they take the 'faster' route so the metre picks up more kms. Both visitors (and locals alike) are fed up with these scams.
Using GrabTaxi solves all my commute problems. I heard good stuff about Bolt, though.
DaxOmni, chris63 and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manymany
Yes it is cash only, can't even use Prompt Pay scanning a QR code from my Bangkok Bank account.

Is tipping mandatory? How much am I looking at for Grab to BKK? Once I add the tolls in the app, I ain't going to pay any more even if the driver makes a mistake. The onus will be on him to get things right.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 8:14 am

Just get some cash to make your life easier. Tipping is not mandatory and especially never on Grab - I tend to tip a regular taxi driver if they are good, and that is always appreciated, though in general I am against the tipping culture,

For dining places in that area, I would suggest Suda in Soi 14, opposite Terminal 21. Been going there for decades and it never disappoints (except there may be a queue, and I believe they are still closed on Sundays)
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.