Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Forex: Superrich Intl Exchange – Family Drama?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2023, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE • LH*SEN • BA*G • AA*EXP • MB*A • WOH*G • HH*G

I have recently moved (back) to BKK after 10 years abroad and I noticed for a while now that a family owned forex business now has a 'green' vs. 'orange' branch. Sometimes I'd see them side-by-side / literally competing with one another, not sure if this is a totally accurate statement though.

Does anyone know the full story? I was advised there was a huge drama within the family and that's why they split up.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 2:32 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
welcome back to Thailand! TIT! many such stories about conflicts within family business but I do not know this one...
Jason77W likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
welcome back to Thailand! TIT! many such stories about conflicts within family business but I do not know this one...
Thank you.

I guess all we'll ever know is "the fam broke up" and hence why we see two colours. I know family matters tend to be private / less publicised but my nose just keeps longer and longer the less I know.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah and it means you have to check the rates, because one of the two colors (I forget which) offers a pretty crappy rate.
Jason77W likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah and it means you have to check the rates, because one of the two colors (I forget which) offers a pretty crappy rate.
I think it is a consensus that greens do better.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:20 pm

They both (SR Orange and Green) have apps and web pages. You can check the rates at any of the locations. The difference between SR Orange and Green is usually not that wide that it would make a significant difference to most people, but sure, there's a small difference, maybe 15 satang per $100 USD when comparing SR Orange at BTS Asoke (very convenient and busy location) vs SR Green HQ rates. A more reasonable comparison would be HQ rates vs HQ rates, which narrows the difference to 2 satang per USD$100. 1 satang = 1/100th 1THB. How many people here would go out of their way for 2 or even 15 satang per $100?

The rates at any of the SR Orange or Green are heads and tails better than the rip off places you see elsewhere around town or at the airport. And a fee free debit card with ATM rebates is of course better than any of them because you don't have to go hunting or traveling for anything, just use the nearest ATM.

Another FT favorite is Vasu Exchange, located under the BTS Nana station on Sukhumvit very close to the Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit They have a website with their rates. You can find it on google maps including a link to their rates.

-David
Jason77W likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 25, 2023 at 9:28 pm
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

What I like is how those "big three" booths in the basement area of BKK's MTB all rate matched each other and the forex ladies are all competing for cx by shouting "same rate, same rate" all at once. There have been instances where I just popped over to K-Bank booth (which usually has a terrible rate if you go to the ones on arrivals / departures level.) or even the yellow one since the green SPR queue was incredibly long.

Last edited by Jason77W; Oct 25, 2023 at 9:53 pm
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
a fee free debit card with ATM rebates is of course better than any of them because you don't have to go hunting or traveling for anything, just use the nearest ATM.
For most U.S. tourists who are not looking to exchange a fortune amount of money, this option seems to be the easiest. I have a U.S. account w/ HSBC so those annoying THB 225 fees are something I'd get rebated for + getting my cash at a decent MC rate. I find this third party 'fee rebate' thing on ATM withdrawals is something only a few U.S. banks would offer. I know for sure most banks in Canada & the UK would not offer that. They may offer to rebate fees on their end, but definitely not fees imposed by the Thai ATMs.

Last edited by Jason77W; Oct 28, 2023 at 3:52 am
Old Oct 25, 2023, 11:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jason77W
For most U.S. tourists who are not looking to exchange a fortune amount of money, this option seems to be the easiest. I have a U.S. account w/ HSBC so those annoying THB 225 fees are something I'd get rebated for + getting my cash at a decent MC rate. I find this 3P 'fee rebate' thing on ATM withdrawals is something a few U.S. banks would offer. I know for sure most banks in Canada & the UK would not offer that. They may offer to rebate fees on their end, but definitely not fees imposed by the Thai ATMs.
Agree, the 225 baht surcharge is imposed by the local bank in addition to whatever the card provider charges. So I also would think that this is not covered by anyone but the cardholder themselves.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:40 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
On currencies other than USD the difference between green and orange can be more significant, particularly if you have a large amount to exchange
Jason77W likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 5:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Agree, the 225 baht surcharge is imposed by the local bank in addition to whatever the card provider charges. So I also would think that this is not covered by anyone but the cardholder themselves.
My bank - Charles Schwab - rebates 100% of all ATM fees, including the ones imposed by Thai banks (with no limits.)

My credit union - Navy Federal Credit Union - rebates all ATM fees, including the ones imposed by Thai banks (up to $20 US/month.)
Jason77W and CrazyInteg like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
My bank - Charles Schwab - rebates 100% of all ATM fees, including the ones imposed by Thai banks (with no limits.)

My credit union - Navy Federal Credit Union - rebates all ATM fees, including the ones imposed by Thai banks (up to $20 US/month.)
It is such a shame that the big banks do not offer this (e.g. CHASE, Citi, BoA, etc.)
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:50 am
Original Poster

*Deleted*
DUP Post
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
Fidelity also refunds all ATM fees, with no limits, and has no foreign transaction fees. As an added bonus the money sitting in what amounts to my checking and savings accounts receives 2.72% and 4.99% interest respectively.

Whenever I go to Thailand I bring $500-$1000 cash just in case, but never exchange it for baht, choosing to use my Fidelity Debit card instead to get the best rate with no added fees whatsoever.
CrazyInteg likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndWhatsYourPoint
Fidelity also refunds all ATM fees, with no limits, and has no foreign transaction fees. As an added bonus the money sitting in what amounts to my checking and savings accounts receives 2.72% and 4.99% interest respectively.

Whenever I go to Thailand I bring $500-$1000 cash just in case, but never exchange it for baht, choosing to use my Fidelity Debit card instead to get the best rate with no added fees whatsoever.
You must've been doing a good job avoiding a lot of the food stalls that only accepts "scan jai", lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.