Search

Recommended Cash to take?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Recommended Cash to take?

I'm going to be spending 3 days 2 nights in Pattaya. Is your credit card going to be accepted mostly everywhere or no? How much Baht should I take with me for back up? A few hundred dollars' worth?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
for immigration with a 30 days visa exemption you would need the equivalent in cash of 10'000 THB (however it is seldom checked unless you look like a backpacker)
credit cards are accepted by most hotels, mid to high end for sure; also most restaurants or shopping centers, convenience stores etc. in certain bars or smaller stores expect a surcharge if you pay with credit cards
street food, street sellers, smaller bars etc. cash
make sure that your credit card provider allows you to use it in Thailand (sometimes they block it for certain countries or entire regions)
it is better to change major foreign currencies in Thailand (you get a better rate)
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Large denominations tend to get a better rate too
enviroian, Davvidd and Jason77W like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I was just planning on ordering Baht through my bank (BOA) and they mail it to my house. You're saying exchanging USD when I arrive at a currency transaction place will be a better rate than a US Bank?

I'm just looking to spend money on bars, food stands, kebab shops, etc.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for the tips. I was just planning on ordering Baht through my bank (BOA) and they mail it to my house. You're saying exchanging USD when I arrive at a currency transaction place will be a better rate than a US Bank?

I'm just looking to spend money on bars, food stands, kebab shops, etc.
Invariably the best rate will be from a US bank credit card that doesn't charge forex fees. For cash, use a US institution debit card that doesn't charge fees including forex fees and rebates the other banks ATM fees. Examples are Fidelity and Schwab. I'm sure there are others, those are the 2 I know about. (B of A is not one of them, they charge ridiculous fees when you go outside of their network.) When you use the foreign ATM card, make sure to complete the transaction in Thai Baht. Same for credit card transactions.

-David
goodeats21 and Jaytraveller like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you flying from Florida to Thailand and staying for 2 nights? That's rough.

I never take cash and always use the ATM at the airport when I arrive if I need cash although last time I didn't even do that since I put the cost of the limo on my credit card. IMHO no need to have any THB on you when you land. If you want to have cash just take a few crisp US $100. You'll be able to exchange them at the airport if needed.
chollie and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I was just in Thailand for 4 days as part of a business trip. I didn't withdraw any cash (but I took some unused baht from home which I used a couple of times at street-food places - and even some of them have card machines now_).
If I was going to withdraw cash, I'd do it locally via my Revolut or Wise card for best rates and lowest charges. Pre-ordering cash is just a waste of time and money.
I got around by Grab, the SE Asian Uber-alike service but better.
chollie and SFO777 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Actually the 100 USD bill and the 50Bills (new ones with the watermark) is accepted and only if there is no tear or no pen marks or anything of that sort. These get a better rate than smaller denominations. Superrich private exchange company gives the best rate but even then their different locations give different rates. You can carry in US 10000 in cash without declaring. I go in and out a lot and they have never asked me anything about how much I have at all.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:18 pm

Avoid ATMs as they all charge overseas cards for usage (unless you have an acccount that refunds them). Exchange cash as mentioned above but not at the airport as the rates are poor. If you have time, go the basement level of the airport to the train station entrance and use one of the exchanges there, otherwise look for the yellow TT exchanges in Pattaya.

Use Bolt rather than Grab to get around.
chollie and cargueiro like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ft101
Avoid ATMs as they all charge overseas cards for usage (unless you have an account that refunds them).
Agree. Cash withdrawal fees are brutal. Cash ($100s) and Travelers Checks get the best rate overall. I don't know about Pattaya, but in Bangkok Super Rich typically has the best rate. Among banks, Krungsri is usually pretty good (but not as good as Super Rich).

Credit cards are very widely accepted.
chollie, lsquare and Jaytraveller like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I'm going to be spending 3 days 2 nights in Pattaya. Is your credit card going to be accepted mostly everywhere or no? How much Baht should I take with me for back up? A few hundred dollars' worth?
Some great advice in this thread. Come additional/extra thoughts.

Outside of larger retail establishments and hotel, I tend to use cash in Pattaya. Just easier. Cheap rideshare (Bolt) you can order vehicle trip in app then pay driver in cash. Easy to hop on Motorcycle taxi for cash as well. Also eliminates any risk of identity theft / fraud in some bars/clubs that might not be 100% trustworthy...

For best rates, bring newer version $100 bills USD in PERFECT condition, and exchange at any of the T&T money exchange branches (Yellow and black signs).
https://ttexchange.com/

Seriously, they will likely reject the bill with ANY mark or tear, and older versions get a lot more scrutiny. It usually takes me quite a few rounds with my Credit Union teller to find pristine bills to take over. (Off topic, but I always chuckle when I turn them into T&T for baht and the first thing they do is ink stamp a little mark on every bill).

If you don't want to mess with exchange, each ATM withdrawal in Thailand using a foreign card tacks on an additional 220thb (~$6) surcharge, on top of whatever fees your bank has. You can typically withdrawal up to 20,000 THB (~$550) in one transaction. I greatly prefer to use ATMs in well traveled, busy areas to lower odds of skimming devices, etc.

Have a great trip. Pattaya can be a lot of fun.
lsquare and Jaytraveller like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, helpful. Well I'm staying at the Hilton Pattaya and will walk everywhere as I'm a big walker and close to the main drag to begin with.

Since I'm there only for a limited time I think from what I'm reading the best thing to do is before I leave the US hit the BOA (my bank) ATM and withdraw a crisp $100 bill and exchange that when I get to BKK airport. What my credit card doesn't pick up I'm sure $100 USD of Baht will be more than enough. Oh from everything I've seen on youtube about this place--it appears there are A LOT of Brits that visit and also the for hire sex trade is alive and well (as are STD's). I have absolutely zero interest in any of that I just want cold beer, good street food, and great people watching.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Thanks for the tips, helpful. Well I'm staying at the Hilton Pattaya and will walk everywhere as I'm a big walker and close to the main drag to begin with.

Since I'm there only for a limited time I think from what I'm reading the best thing to do is before I leave the US hit the BOA (my bank) ATM and withdraw a crisp $100 bill and exchange that when I get to BKK airport. What my credit card doesn't pick up I'm sure $100 USD of Baht will be more than enough. Oh from everything I've seen on youtube about this place--it appears there are A LOT of Brits that visit and also the for hire sex trade is alive and well (as are STD's). I have absolutely zero interest in any of that I just want cold beer, good street food, and great people watching.
May I suggest another destination, by any chance? I hate Pattaya and had to go for a business event earlier in the year - like you, I booked the Hilton. Granted, it is in the middle of everything, but when I wanted a pint somewhere (arrived back after the lounge closed), it was hard to find somewhere half decent. I ended up choosing somewhere on the right of the hotel which was near empty (unlike everywhere else) and where they understood that I wanted to be left in peace, and not approached by ladyboys and what not.

To be honest, if I had not had wine with dinner, I regretted not driving back to BKK that night.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:36 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
withdraw a crisp $100 bill and exchange that when I get to BKK airport.
Remember to go to the basement level, where the train station is, for the good rates. They don't need absolutely perfect $100 bills.

The exchange booths elsewhere have lousy rates.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it may be too late to change plans but I would suggest to stay in Bangkok for your three day trip. Certainly would be much better for what you’re looking for (people watching and culture) than Pattaya which is pretty much exclusively geared towards the things you have zero interest in doing?
SKT-DK and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.