Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

protests or even riots ahead in Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2023, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum

due to the current political development, protests or even riots during the next couple of weeks could occur.

MFP supporters gather as opponents step up challenges ahead of PM vote (nationthailand.com)
Political showdown for Pita (bangkokpost.com)
Pita: ‘Persecution against me would be costly’ (bangkokpost.com)
EC files petition in Constitutional Court seeking Pita's disqualification in shareholding case (nationthailand.com)

safety of tourists and visitors are usually not much affected, but of course certain areas could be blocked or there could be an impact on traffic.

So rather than to discuss politics on this board (which we as foreigners can anyway not influence), it would be helpful to get information about the impact:
- areas less accessible or closed
- impact on traffic
- impact on tourism in general
- impact on frequency of flights to Thailand or within Thailand
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
It is certainly an interesting time - and I have to admit I even feel a bit of hope that things might get better, but back on topic:
If there are serious disturbances (which I sort of doubt) I wonder if Richard Barrow will post updates about this as he did years ago when there were long term serious activities going on
I really doubt there would be any effect on flight schedules - when the airports were closed for a few days b/c protests a number of years ago there certainly were b/c of lack of access to the airport but IMO I don't see things going that far (but I could be wrong)
I suspect most tourists aren't even aware of what is going on - so unless the foreign press starts reporting (and exaggerating) the current protests - probably not on most tourists radar
But I'm not any better at predicting the future than an 8 ball -
edit: there are certainly lots of barriers and blocks around Parliament -but not an area that most tourists frequent
https://twitter.com/prachatai_en

Originally Posted by BinSabai
due to the current political development, protests or even riots during the next couple of weeks could occur.

MFP supporters gather as opponents step up challenges ahead of PM vote (nationthailand.com)
Political showdown for Pita (bangkokpost.com)
Pita: ‘Persecution against me would be costly’ (bangkokpost.com)
EC files petition in Constitutional Court seeking Pita's disqualification in shareholding case (nationthailand.com)

safety of tourists and visitors are usually not much affected, but of course certain areas could be blocked or there could be an impact on traffic.

So rather than to discuss politics on this board (which we as foreigners can anyway not influence), it would be helpful to get information about the impact:
- areas less accessible or closed
- impact on traffic
- impact on tourism in general
- impact on frequency of flights to Thailand or within Thailand
Old Jul 13, 2023, 8:53 pm

Flying to HKT in September and then chilling at a little resort there for a month. Hopefully far enough away from any protests?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
The next vote is on next Wednesday I think. It all depends on how the Pheu Thai party looks at it. If they go with Move Forward and join then there would be chaos most probably. I hope there is no airport closer or anything of that sort but with the current regime there is not much public support unlike the former one.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 2:25 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Let's not get ahead of ourselves - nothing has happened yet, and everything is crystal-ball territory still (although, granted, some probabilities are higher than others..)
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Update: This will disrupt Friday night rush hour for sure, but let’s see if it has a wider impact.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/๊urgent...ntown-bangkok/
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Update: This will disrupt Friday night rush hour for sure, but let’s see if it has a wider impact.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/๊urgent...ntown-bangkok/
so that's the intersection with MBK on one side and Siam Discovery on the other (as Bangkok Art & Cultural Center might not be soooo well known)

Police advise motorists to avoid roads around Pathumwan intersection due to protests (nationthailand.com)
estnet and SKT-DK like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Not the same but I'm having flash backs to when the entire street between Big C and Central was a giant camping zone with a big stage for speeches. Couldn't get from one side of the city to the other without going on tollways, etc., but I digress.
I've seen coverage in a lot of foreign press about the issue of democracy, etc. so at least it is not being ignored by some of the world, but I doubt the thoughts of foreigners matter much for Thai Politics.
Given the location of the protest my guess is that commuting will be a mess - and the bts is likely to be severely impacted - at least parts of it.

so that's the intersection with MBK on one side and Siam Discovery on the other (as Bangkok Art & Cultural Center might not be soooo well known)

Police advise motorists to avoid roads around Pathumwan intersection due to protests (nationthailand.com)
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
Not the same but I'm having flash backs to when the entire street between Big C and Central was a giant camping zone with a big stage for speeches. Couldn't get from one side of the city to the other without going on tollways, etc., but I digress.
Do you mean Rachadamri road in front of Central World (there is indeed a Big C on the other side)? Yes that's another likely area where protests could take place and it blocks indeed the main road from Sukhumvit area to the older part of Bangkok (but there are other main roads parallel to this one)

on a side note if I read in western media about a so called pro-democracy party(-ies), it shows how little they understand about Thai Politics, but as said it is rather baseless to discuss this here
estnet and SKT-DK like this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
They had a demonstration in BKK but from the traffic on the street nothing was noticeable.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
They had a demonstration in BKK but from the traffic on the street nothing was noticeable.
Friday evening was a demonstration at Pathumwan intersection with little impact on traffic.
Sunday was a car rally on Pinklao road and Pinklao bridge, which is very close to the major sightseeing spots in the old town
Car rally demands anti-Pita senators quit (bangkokpost.com)
Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:01 am
Original Poster

protests are very likely now
Constitutional Court accepts EC’s petition for review, suspends Pita as MP (nationthailand.com)

and his supporters are urging 14 million Thais, who voted for Pita and his party to the streets....
Old Jul 19, 2023, 10:20 am

protests are very likely now
Constitutional Court accepts EC’s petition for review, suspends Pita as MP (nationthailand.com)

and his supporters are urging 14 million Thais, who voted for Pita and his party to the streets....
Looks like it is only downhill from here…
Old Jul 19, 2023, 11:38 am

uh oh

should I cancel my vacation in September? (Phuket and Trat)
Old Jul 19, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by YYZPolarBear
uh oh

should I cancel my vacation in September? (Phuket and Trat)
No, it is too soon to know what will develop. 😊

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.