Paranoid about checked luggage in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paranoid about checked luggage in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's no need for snark. Riding in a Bangkok taxi may well be the most dangerous thing a western tourist does in Thailand.
I could think of a few more. Thailand is def. towards the murky end of the safety curve.

That said, regarding the original OP post - I think that's an irrational fear (and while I do not know what the probability is, I'd expect it to be lower than being struck by lightning). Never seen credible information on something like that (unlike road accidents or other safety issues - which have examples aplenty)
Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tr3k
I could think of a few more. Thailand is def. towards the murky end of the safety curve.
not really!
it is more safe to walk at night as a tourist through Bangkok than through Paris, London or New York...
Thailand's homicide rate is less than half of that of the USA...
SKT-DK and Davvidd like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Agree with others - if you are afraid of that you should not be traveling.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I recall being a bit nervous when I first visited Thailand in 1992, there had been some stories in the UK News of British "tourists" being jailed for a million years after being caught smuggling stuff in or out, proclaiming their innocence, and that the drugs had been planted etc etc. A few months later they change their stories admit their guilt and in the two cases I recall it was clear that the authorities were acting on intel which had flagged these people before they had stepped foot onto the airport premises.
SKT-DK, LETTERBOY, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
When taking taxis in Bangkok, I'm not worried about my safety so much as having an unpleasant experience with them (the driver not putting on the meter, driving needlessly fast, or not being able to communicate with them, etc.). However, I've also had those bad experiences (some very bad) in San Francisco and New York.

I've also had many very good experiences talking to Bangkok taxi drivers (many more very good experiences than bad experiences). It's that uncertainty with taxis that prompt people to take Grab or other services, even if they cost more. Taxis are usually cheaper and with less wait time in Bangkok.
SKT-DK and BinSabai like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by billp
Baggage is x-rayed and security may open suitcases to examine anything that shows up as suspicious. If necessary, they’ll break open your special lock and cable tie.
Have you thought through the possible motivation of anyone planting something in your luggage? If that really were a thing, they’d have to find a way not only to plant the object, but subsequently to identify your case among thousands and then retrieve the object somehow from you at the airport (?) or at your hotel (?). Doesn’t make any sense.
The “planted in my luggage” defense has been attempted in drug smuggling trials. In each and every case that I’ve ever heard of, it turned out the person who got caught was knowingly acting as a mule ie had agreed to smuggle the drugs for a payment.
Maybe you haven't heard of this case:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2016/02/29/...enger-baggage/

"Delta Airlines To Pay 759,000$ Compensation After Baggage Handler Plants Cocaine in Passenger Baggage!"

Or this one:

https://japantoday.com/category/crim...g-goes-missing

"Unsuspecting passenger returns cannabis after sniffer dog test botched at Narita"

Or the follow-up:

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...ngers-luggage/

"Japanese customs officers planted drugs in passengers’ luggage"
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevino
When taking taxis in Bangkok, I'm not worried about my safety so much as having an unpleasant experience with them (the driver not putting on the meter, driving needlessly fast, or not being able to communicate with them, etc.). However, I've also had those bad experiences (some very bad) in San Francisco and New York.

I've also had many very good experiences talking to Bangkok taxi drivers (many more very good experiences than bad experiences). It's that uncertainty with taxis that prompt people to take Grab or other services, even if they cost more. Taxis are usually cheaper and with less wait time in Bangkok.
Agree - I am perfectly fine to hail a taxi off the street in front of my office at Khlong Toei intersection at midnight, which granted is not the nicest of places at night. I would hesitate doing that in similar places in most western cities!

My main nuisance with Grab drivers is that none of them have a clue about directions and follow their (not always smart) GPS blindly, even if it would lead them off a pier and into the Chao Phraya!
kevino, BinSabai and Davvidd like this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Right. Some Grab routes are clearly wrong in Bangkok. For example a few years ago the Grab app would route drivers to the Renaissance Ratchaprasong via Ratchadamri Road (which does not connect to the Renaissance). You can get close via Ratchadamri if you enter the side of the Hyatt Erawan and swing around through the shopping center parking lot, which ends up near McDonalds. It does not connect to the Ren., unless you can climb a wall.

Another example is that Grab often routes drivers to the Ibis Sathorn via Khlong Toei which gets them on the wrong side of the railroad tracks and makes them go several km out of the way in order to cross the railroad tracks. It was crazy not to route via Rama IV and Ngam Duphli Alley or Sathorn (and Sathorn 1 Alley). It was very frustrating, and probably was for the drivers too. I had several drivers cancel a pick up there after they started only a km away from the hotel bc they ended up 3 km's away and 20 minutes away from me.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Agree - I am perfectly fine to hail a taxi off the street in front of my office at Khlong Toei intersection at midnight, which granted is not the nicest of places at night. I would hesitate doing that in similar places in most western cities!

My main nuisance with Grab drivers is that none of them have a clue about directions and follow their (not always smart) GPS blindly, even if it would lead them off a pier and into the Chao Phraya!
Generally never had a major issue with Taxi drivers in Bangkok, yes - many try not to use the meter, might claim a tourist attraction is closed but if you're polite, friendly but assertive you are almost certainly going to avoid trouble. Worst case scenario just get out of the cab and get another one. I also tend to pick taxis up from hotel ranks where the hotel doorman can instruct the driver as well as usually making a note of the taxi number.

If i'm being scammed for 50-100B I try to not let it ruin my holiday, after all back at the hotel I usually end up paying 500B extra for a beer in the hotel bar so as to keep The Deluxo Hotel Corporation in business - who's scamming who :-)
kevino and Davvidd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.