Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand opening up in November [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by tr3k
Did you notice if they match the SHA hotel booking to anything based on the QR code/link?
nope…just a paper check from what I could tell. Didn’t seem to scan the QR code.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by divrdrew
nope…just a paper check from what I could tell. Didn’t seem to scan the QR code.
k

name and date off birth need to match. Must note date of test and type of test.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:03 pm

Ok, arrived in Phuket. Afaict very little matching going on.

1. At pre-immigration document check they ask for the thai pass, negative pcr, passport and immigration form. Never scan the qr. They do enter passport data in the computer, so likely see every pass issued to the given passport.

Stamp the back of immigration card.

2. Immigration asks for the thai pass, hotel booking, immigration card and passport. Nothing is scanned. They rely on the stamp placed on the back of the immigration card.

3. Proceed outside for pcr test processing. Ask for Phuket pcr booking, hotel name (to match up with pcr booking though it looked like they can edit it) and passport.

Give you a test tube with a sticker with passport data.

4. Walk outside and up to swab booths. They ask for the tube and make you verify your personal data on the tube (but no passport check :/ ). Swab (quite gently)

5. Walk out, ushered by some agents to the line of pick up services with name cards.

So:

- No one asks for the "health form" filled on the plane. Don't bother. (Afaict the only place where your plane seat number is is that form, self reported)

- No one asks for insurance.

- No matching of hotel name to the thai pass. Some matching to Phuket pcr registration, but that is easy to modify.

- No difference between "testngo" and "sandbox" processing. Cant see how they ensure you stay at the same hotel for the "sandbox" (I used my oldest "testngo" registration)

- No mention of any tracking app to install, but they do give you a flyer at pcr registration for the website where you can see your pcr results online.

Will add a few photos in a bit.

Waiting area prior to health document check

Health document check (pre immigration)

Line for pcr document check

Pcr test booths

Pick up area

Update: hotel asked us to install Morchana. Tried to scan the qr code we used to enter - got an error. Hotel provided another qr code (I suspect that it is the one for "sandbox") which worked. So - can enter Thailand with "testngo" but can't use it later.
GGLwannabe likes this.

Last edited by tr3k; Jan 17, 2022 at 1:54 am
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
thanks for the update...so much less checks than for the COE....they rely pretty much on the Thai Pass registration process

as for the App (Morchana...หมอชนะ...literally "the doctor wins"): they have delegated this task to the hotels as app can not be installed before landing in Thailand...
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Apparently there will be a Test and Go update on Thursday.

Granite64 and James91 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
Apparently there will be a Test and Go update on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/...97648395468803
Next meeting on Thursday is all for now (with another one on Friday IIRC). Anutin has mentioned he'll propose a review but he has the habit of putting things out like that to guage public opinion, and could easily do a 360 turn before the meeting if he feels resistance. I doubt it though as most seem more apathetic now than in the past few months.
Schwann likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:24 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Test & Go for overseas arrivals to be restored, fine-tuned

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...red-fine-tuned
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:34 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Test & Go for overseas arrivals to be restored, fine-tuned

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...red-fine-tuned
What a joke , what a lack of consistency . The readers comments of the Bangkok Post article above are entertaining . Thailand is high risk for a normal tourist. Only people with business interests (or the desperate) will attempt to enter and many will do for a last time. This said having business interests may qualify me as desperate .

Upon arrival tests should be free anyway as they are in Chile. But Thailand is an island and needs nobody (like China).
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by behuman
What a joke , what a lack of consistency . The readers comments of the Bangkok Post article above are entertaining . Thailand is high risk for a normal tourist. Only people with business interests (or the desperate) will attempt to enter and many will do for a last time. This said having business interests may qualify me as desperate .

Upon arrival tests should be free anyway as they are in Chile. But Thailand is an island and needs nobody (like China).
it's not perfect but much better than 1-2 weeks Quarantine for those returning to Thailand and for those, who like to spend several weeks during the European/American winter in Thailand...indeed not for the usuall 2 weeks cheap charlie tourist
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
it's not perfect but much better than 1-2 weeks Quarantine for those returning to Thailand and for those, who like to spend several weeks during the European/American winter in Thailand...indeed not for the usuall 2 weeks cheap charlie tourist
So those who take 2 week vacations are cheap. Got it.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:29 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Quite elitist dear BinSabai, but I like it , BUT some 2 weeks tourists stay at Amanpuri and some broke retired folks spend less than 20 000 B per month........

Not only Thailand, but many other places will soon be desperate to get ANY business. In SA we are already at this point. The restrictions are not any longer bearable economically and Thailand will learn the hard lesson.

Fully vaccinated people should be allowed even without any testing as the Omicron is certainly well hidden, but omnipresent in Thailand.
travelinterpreters and tr3k like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I got the following from The Thaiger. "If" this is correct, it does seem to be worded a little different and might make things easier than I originally thought. I have bolded the items that I think are slightly different. It appears that the hotel does not need to be prepaid as before? It is almost as if you only need to prepay for the PCR tests. I have not seen anything on the Embassy site here in DC yet so I guess we will see once the Test & Go option is enabled again on the Thailand Pass site.

• Proof of hotel booking for Day 1 and Day 5 in Thailand.
  • Confirmed payment or proof of booking for a SHA+ approved hotel.
  • Prepayment for the two RT-PCR tests.
  • Certificate of vaccination or vaccine passport.
  • Proof of a negative result from an RT-PCR test issued no more than 72 hours before departure.
  • Thailand Pass QR code. (Click here for the official website run by the Department of Consular Affairs. The Thailand Pass is free. Watch out for other sites seeking payment.)
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:37 am

Quite elitist dear BinSabai, but I like it , BUT some 2 weeks tourists stay at Amanpuri and some broke retired folks spend less than 20 000 B per month........

Not only Thailand, but many other places will soon be desperate to get ANY business. In SA we are already at this point. The restrictions are not any longer bearable economically and Thailand will learn the hard lesson.

Fully vaccinated people should be allowed even without any testing as the Omicron is certainly well hidden, but omnipresent in Thailand.
Not only the current restrictions but the practical implementation of the entire process is untenable.

There is barely enough capacity for testing what few visitors are currently in Phuket (personal experience, second test today, what a chitshow). Even if substantially more visitors tried to come (they won't), there is no way to handle them while keeping (even the semblance of) the current requirements.

Thailand is trying to not lose face (plus the natural dislike of dirty farangs), while slowly backing out of the hole they dug themselves into.

They will figure it out, eventually.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:02 am

with the current incidence rates in Europe, the Americas etc. I have some undrestanding that most Asian countries do not fully open their borders even for vaccinated folks...
7 Day Incidence Rates: Countries of the world | OSCOVIDA: Open Science COVID Analysis
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
with the current incidence rates in Europe, the Americas etc. I have some undrestanding that most Asian countries do not fully open their borders even for vaccinated folks...
7 Day Incidence Rates: Countries of the world | OSCOVIDA: Open Science COVID Analysis
But there are only a few people on the ICU's and almost no deaths.
behuman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.