Reload this Page >

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global321
In an effort to consolidate the material information for entry into the Phuket Sandbox, the rules at present are:

Eligible travelers (both non-Thais and Thais)

A passport with at least six months validity.

A visa, if required. For U.S. citizens, no visa is required. A 45-day entry is granted on arrival.

Round-trip airline ticket to Phuket.

Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Ministry of Public Health of Thailand no less than 14 days before departure. Travelers must show proof of vaccination issued by a government authority. Children under the age of 18, traveling with parents, are eligible without proof of vaccination.

Must come from permitted countries/areas by the Thai Government to enter Phuket Sandbox (The U.S. is included) and travelers must have been in these eligible countries prior to travel for at least 21 consecutive days. A list of eligible countries can be found at: https://www.tatnews.org/wp-content/u...12.07.2021.jpg

Must have health insurance which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of $100,000 USD.

Health Insurance Providers

https://covid19.tgia.org/

https://www.axa.co.th/en/

Certificate of Entry ("COE")

A COE must be obtained prior to entry into Thailand. Applications are submitted at https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ and require proof of the entry requirements listed above.

Airlines Offering Service to Phuket

No connections inside Thailand to Phuket allowed. Must fly non-stop into Phuket from an international destination.

El Al, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, and Thai Airways International (THAI) are offering flights.

Entry

A PCR test will be conducted at the airport.

You must have SHA+ transportation pre-booked from the airport to the SHA+ hotel. You must isolate in your room until the test results are obtained, which is being reported as approximately 7-hours after the sample is taken.

Once a negative test result is obtained, you are able to travel freely on the island of Phuket. The typical turn time for the first test is 6 to 8 hours.

Hotels

Must stay at a hotel that meets the “SHA+ (Safety and Health Administration Plus)” standard for at least 14 nights, unless travelers have proof of return tickets leaving Phuket (to another country) within 14 days.

Confirmation of “SHA+” hotel booking must be issued under the SHABA system (SHA Plus Booking Authentication system) or booking under http://entrythailand.go.th/

Must stay at the same hotel for at least the first 7 days and may change after that (the hotel must be on Phuket only)

After 14 nights, travelers may travel to other parts of Thailand. Departure earlier than 14 days is possible only for destinations outside of Thailand.

COVID-19 tests

Travelers must present RT-PCR negative test results issued no more than 72 hours before departure for Phuket.

Upon entry, travelers will have to undergo three COVID-19 tests during their 14-night stay in Phuket (travelers must provide receipt of COVID test appointment and payment from your hotel to apply for the COE).

Tracking application

Travelers must install and use a tracking application as prescribed by the Thai Government throughout their 14 days in Phuket, otherwise they may not be allowed to leave Phuket to other parts of Thailand after these 14 days. A local sim card can be obtained at the airport, but you must bring a sim unlocked smartphone.

Apps are Thailand Plus and Mor Chana. Only the Mor Chana app will be checked and verified installed at the Phuket airport.

Travel to Other Parts of Thailand

Allowed after 14-nights is spent in Phuket.

N.B.

Rules can change with little or no notice.

If you test positive for COVID on arrival, you will be hospitalized for 14-days.

If you arrive on an airplane and anyone close to you on the plane tests positive for COVID, you will be quarantined for 14-days at your own expense. Close has been reported as same row and/or two rows before or behind the infected person.

Masks are required when outdoors, including at the swimming pool and on the beach. Masks are not required while swimming.

Print Wikipost

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GFL, Iberia Plus Platino, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
That's not been my experience in the past, but am happy to hear that others have had a better experience
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321
just you simply do not trust the numbers the Thai gov't puts out.
Do you?

When the government mandates that ALL COVID numbers can only come from the government and not from hospitals or care facilities, and the government is a military dictatorship that assumed power through a military coup, one is entitled to question the legitimacy of the numbers its publishes.

Personally? I don't believe a word the government says.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Do you?

When the government mandates that ALL COVID numbers can only come from the government and not from hospitals or care facilities, and the government is a military dictatorship that assumed power through a military coup, one is entitled to question the legitimacy of the numbers its publishes.

There are numbers just out of someone's imagination. There are numbers at least basing on some truth(however manipulated it is).

Before there are other more accurate means to get the numbers, other numbers even have less truth in them.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
that’s definitely Phuket
Or Pattaya.
Global321 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Do you?

It is a fair question. For me, they are the best numbers out there, but, to your point, I am not sure how much value they have.
I am sure there are (significantly) more cases out there - especially in the North and far South, where medical care is harder to come by.

On the other hand, every other number out there is pure speculation based on stories. There is no way to get a more accurate number.

FWIW - today in Phuket, not a cloud in the sky.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very little is as it appears here.

The numbers? I neither believe nor disbelieve them. I question the source, their intent, timing and then make a calculation on the meaning(s).

The regime's daily case/death count is really only useful to gauge trends, and what they want the public to think. The absolute figures are rubbish on their own.

The vaccination numbers appear accurate and real.

I don't think any Thais, save for the hardcore minions/dinosaurs/military believe a word the regime says.

Hence the need for the regime to crack-down on criticism.
Always Flyin and Global321 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:41 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
even romance is possible in the sandbox...
Couple tie knot during Phuket Sandbox (bangkokpost.com)
hoepfully they were able to remove masks for the wedding kiss
Old Jul 13, 2021, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
In case there weren't enough obstacles already, here is another one. Qatar is apparently now requiring a COVID test taken within 72-hours of ARRIVAL in Doha. Loyaltylobby posted about this. Here's the quote from the Qatar website. It's actually a bit unclear, as if something was lost in translation.

"All passengers traveling through the State of Qatar (Transit) must present a (PCR) test certificate before travelling, valid for 72 hours from arrival, "

I actually already took my test, which is now apparently useless because it wasn't taken 72 hours before arrival. I in effect need a test within 48 hours of departure, which can be challenging if you're not in a big city.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BigE
In case there weren't enough obstacles already, here is another one. Qatar is apparently now requiring a COVID test taken within 72-hours of ARRIVAL in Doha. Loyaltylobby posted about this. Here's the quote from the Qatar website. It's actually a bit unclear, as if something was lost in translation.

"All passengers traveling through the State of Qatar (Transit) must present a (PCR) test certificate before travelling, valid for 72 hours from arrival, "
Qatar Airways very rarely gives its passengers information in clear, unambiguous terms. It's a puzzle why this is so. However, an industry's developed in the QR forum, interpreting (sometimes correctly) the website enigmas and the conflicting advice received from agents.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33402905-post29.html

MY understanding is on the same lines: the message you quote refers to passengers going landside, entering Qatar, possibly to spend connecting time in a downtown hotel. If you are connecting airside then you are simply obliged to comply with the regulations in force at your final destinations. Indeed, you won't be allowed to board at your journey origin unless you comply with what is required at your final destination.

I could be wrong

There was a time when transit had a specific meaning in the world of air transport: but I think no longer.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Qatar Airways very rarely gives its passengers information in clear, unambiguous terms. It's a puzzle why this is so. However, an industry's developed in the QR forum, interpreting (sometimes correctly) the website enigmas and the conflicting advice received from agents.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33402905-post29.html

MY understanding is on the same lines: the message you quote refers to passengers going landside, entering Qatar, possibly to spend connecting time in a downtown hotel. If you are connecting airside then you are simply obliged to comply with the regulations in force at your final destinations. Indeed, you won't be allowed to board at your journey origin unless you comply with what is required at your final destination.
After reading that thread, I suspect you are right. Qatar airways on Twitter (yes, that's apparently the best way to reach them) is saying you don't need a test for transit. I'll probably still try to change my flights, though.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:09 pm

For those applying to U.S. embassy/consulates, how long did it take to get a response to your application and then after you submitted your travel documents? I had almost 4 business days between application and flights. After 2 business days, I still haven't heard anything. I'm hoping that the first step takes the longest, and the second step is fast.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:40 pm

For those applying to U.S. embassy/consulates, how long did it take to get a response to your application and then after you submitted your travel documents? I had almost 4 business days between application and flights. After 2 business days, I still haven't heard anything. I'm hoping that the first step takes the longest, and the second step is fast.
They do it by departure date. Most everyone is getting the second email about a week ahead of time and final approval 2-3 days before departure, but some have come day of departure. DC was very good. Seems like LA is overwhelmed.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:15 pm

I found out that the pre-registration is being handled by an office in Bangkok, and they are pretty slow (overwhelmed). It's now taking about a week to get pre-approval, even if you said you were traveling in a week. I am skeptical that they are doing these in order of travel date. Or maybe they are, but they just can't keep up with demand anymore.
Once you submit your air ticket and SHA certificate, then the local consulate/embassy handles it. They say that it might then take them another week to process the COE, though that might be overly cautious and they are presumably prioritizing based on travel date, like Global321 says.
The thing I didn't realize is that you do NOT need to have booked any travel to get the pre-approval. That was probably explained earlier in this thread, though I overlooked it, perhaps because it wasn't the case for my COE last year. Also, my consulate's sandbox page implies that you should prepare the travel documents first. Anyway, if I hadn't waited to complete all my travel plans, then I could have easily submitted a week or two earlier.
Follow-up: While I was writing this, I just got an email saying that my application was rejected because I didn't provide a bank statement. I didn't even know I needed that. Well, it's actually good news, because it means that the local consulate is now working on it.

Last edited by BigE; Jul 15, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got an email saying that my application was rejected because I didn't provide a bank statement. I didn't even know I needed that. Well, it's actually good news, because it means that the local consulate is now working on it.

Are you getting some sort of visa? If so, what type?

I think tourist visas (single entry 60 day may be the only option) require proof of $700 in a bank. Same for a Non-O. (Non-OA has more rigorous financial requirements.)

A tourist visa exemption or re-entry permit would not require any bank statements.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
Are you getting some sort of visa? If so, what type?

I think tourist visas (single entry 60 day may be the only option) require proof of $700 in a bank. Same for a Non-O. (Non-OA has more rigorous financial requirements.)

A tourist visa exemption or re-entry permit would not require any bank statements.
Mine is tourist visa exemption. Whatever...it wasn't difficult to provide and they came back right away with pre-approval.
Global321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.