Reload this Page >

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global321
In an effort to consolidate the material information for entry into the Phuket Sandbox, the rules at present are:

Eligible travelers (both non-Thais and Thais)

A passport with at least six months validity.

A visa, if required. For U.S. citizens, no visa is required. A 45-day entry is granted on arrival.

Round-trip airline ticket to Phuket.

Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Ministry of Public Health of Thailand no less than 14 days before departure. Travelers must show proof of vaccination issued by a government authority. Children under the age of 18, traveling with parents, are eligible without proof of vaccination.

Must come from permitted countries/areas by the Thai Government to enter Phuket Sandbox (The U.S. is included) and travelers must have been in these eligible countries prior to travel for at least 21 consecutive days. A list of eligible countries can be found at: https://www.tatnews.org/wp-content/u...12.07.2021.jpg

Must have health insurance which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of $100,000 USD.

Health Insurance Providers

https://covid19.tgia.org/

https://www.axa.co.th/en/

Certificate of Entry ("COE")

A COE must be obtained prior to entry into Thailand. Applications are submitted at https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ and require proof of the entry requirements listed above.

Airlines Offering Service to Phuket

No connections inside Thailand to Phuket allowed. Must fly non-stop into Phuket from an international destination.

El Al, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, and Thai Airways International (THAI) are offering flights.

Entry

A PCR test will be conducted at the airport.

You must have SHA+ transportation pre-booked from the airport to the SHA+ hotel. You must isolate in your room until the test results are obtained, which is being reported as approximately 7-hours after the sample is taken.

Once a negative test result is obtained, you are able to travel freely on the island of Phuket. The typical turn time for the first test is 6 to 8 hours.

Hotels

Must stay at a hotel that meets the “SHA+ (Safety and Health Administration Plus)” standard for at least 14 nights, unless travelers have proof of return tickets leaving Phuket (to another country) within 14 days.

Confirmation of “SHA+” hotel booking must be issued under the SHABA system (SHA Plus Booking Authentication system) or booking under http://entrythailand.go.th/

Must stay at the same hotel for at least the first 7 days and may change after that (the hotel must be on Phuket only)

After 14 nights, travelers may travel to other parts of Thailand. Departure earlier than 14 days is possible only for destinations outside of Thailand.

COVID-19 tests

Travelers must present RT-PCR negative test results issued no more than 72 hours before departure for Phuket.

Upon entry, travelers will have to undergo three COVID-19 tests during their 14-night stay in Phuket (travelers must provide receipt of COVID test appointment and payment from your hotel to apply for the COE).

Tracking application

Travelers must install and use a tracking application as prescribed by the Thai Government throughout their 14 days in Phuket, otherwise they may not be allowed to leave Phuket to other parts of Thailand after these 14 days. A local sim card can be obtained at the airport, but you must bring a sim unlocked smartphone.

Apps are Thailand Plus and Mor Chana. Only the Mor Chana app will be checked and verified installed at the Phuket airport.

Travel to Other Parts of Thailand

Allowed after 14-nights is spent in Phuket.

N.B.

Rules can change with little or no notice.

If you test positive for COVID on arrival, you will be hospitalized for 14-days.

If you arrive on an airplane and anyone close to you on the plane tests positive for COVID, you will be quarantined for 14-days at your own expense. Close has been reported as same row and/or two rows before or behind the infected person.

Masks are required when outdoors, including at the swimming pool and on the beach. Masks are not required while swimming.

Print Wikipost

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:44 pm

Does anyone have thoughts/knowledge on how long the oil will keep washing up on Phuket beaches?
(i.e. Is this something that typically goes away in a week, two weeks, a month or does it take longer? )
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Semantics, I guess. I had blood work done while at the Thai hospital that showed high level of anti-bodies. I had confirmed COVID (with symptoms) 3 months prior.
If not a false positive, very unusual set of circumstances...

The lack of any discretion by medical staff is also a troubling facet. Once a positive test, you are in some type of hospital for 10 days.
while I agree with your conclusions and the inappropriate approach of the Thai Covid rules, it is well known that PCR tests can show positive result until several months after a Covid illness. The test is not false, but the conclusion is wrong as you are neither sick anymore nor infectious
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Does anyone have thoughts/knowledge on how long the oil will keep washing up on Phuket beaches?
(i.e. Is this something that typically goes away in a week, two weeks, a month or does it take longer? )
it is currently the season with strong currents and huge waves. Many dive sites are closed and at the beach red flags indicate, that swimming is prohibited (each season, several people, even good swimmers drown as they can't withstand the strong current pulling them out to the sea).
Therefore chances are good, that such an oil spill is washed away much faster than during Nov-Mar
Global321 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Yeah, the four PCR tests (one 3 days before departure, one at the airport, and then two more during the stay) seems excessive and pointless. They are also a bit expensive (I was quoted 4k or 5k in Bangkok).

Edit: the ShaThailand FAQ seems to imply that you can use the rapid test, which is cheaper:

"RT-PCR test:
– Every hospital in Phuket can provide an RT-PCR test;
– The cost of an RT-PCR covid test ranges from 2,500-4,000 Baht per person.

Rapid test:
– You can get a rapid test from hospitals, clinics, and private labs in Phuket;
– The cost of a rapid test ranges from 450-1,000 Baht per person. COVID-19 testing is at the travellers’ own expense."

Last edited by BigE; Jun 20, 2021 at 11:36 pm
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:32 am

just a short note, that you guys have one thing less to bluster about:
Phuket restaurants can serve Alcohol from today; same in many other provinces
In Bangkok, adjacent provinces, Chonburi (Pattaya), Prachuab (Hua Hin) prohibition stays in place for the time being...
SKT-DK, EuropeanPete and TPJ like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The opening rules for Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao have just been confirmed for the 15th of July - rather less strict than anticipated and faster as well.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BinSabai
In Bangkok, adjacent provinces, Chonburi (Pattaya), Prachuab (Hua Hin) prohibition stays in place for the time being...
Slightly OT, but further good news. You can have a beer 🍺 or glass of wine 🍷 in Chiang Mai now too. 😊
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Slightly OT, but further good news. You can have a beer 🍺 or glass of wine 🍷 in Chiang Mai now too. 😊
if this was OT, then 90% of posts in this thread would be OT... it's clearly about conditions tourists entering Phuket will meet
be careful about celebrating prematurly your victory in Chiang Mai... the governor of Udon has just withdraw the allowance for restaurants to sell alcohol...so local governors are allowed to set tougher rules than the central administration...
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
What is the source for that factual assertion?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
What is the source for that factual assertion?
many media reporting
Restrictions loosen in Phuket, alcohol allowed in restaurants | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)
Phuket Sandbox: Tourists might be able to drink alcohol in restaurants - Phuket News - Thai Visa Forum
Always Flyin likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
The cabinet has approved today the opening of the Phuket Sandbox. Nation

Too bad that the TAT remains silent about it for now - while I could imagine a person or two eagerly waiting for the announcement of the final rules. (unless of course they get changed again before they're finally published in the Royal gazette)

For example, I still have not read if/ how you can transfer in BKK.
That question may also be relevant for those who want to book the direct TG flights to HKT, because some of those flights operate in a triangle, i.e. they only go to BKK from HKT, which may or may not be allowed for tourists who want to return home before 14 days.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
The cabinet has approved today the opening of the Phuket Sandbox. Nation

Too bad that the TAT remains silent about it for now - while I could imagine a person or two eagerly waiting for the announcement of the final rules. (unless of course they get changed again before they're finally published in the Royal gazette)

For example, I still have not read if/ how you can transfer in BKK.
That question may also be relevant for those who want to book the direct TG flights to HKT, because some of those flights operate in a triangle, i.e. they only go to BKK from HKT, which may or may not be allowed for tourists who want to return home before 14 days.
I think there will be a way to transit BKK, but I switched my flights to TG on the way in and KL on the way out to be safe - both from HKT. If there is a way to transit BKK, I will find more optimal flights via BKK.

Hopefully, more specific information will come out in the next day or two.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
I think there will be a way to transit BKK, but I switched my flights to TG on the way in and KL on the way out to be safe - both from HKT. If there is a way to transit BKK, I will find more optimal flights via BKK.

Hopefully, more specific information will come out in the next day or two.
and in KL, transit is possible? Malaysia is pretty much in lockdown as it is the worst affected in the region...
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:02 am

and in KL, transit is possible? Malaysia is pretty much in lockdown as it is the worst affected in the region...
KL = KLM?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:07 am

I hope so.

My routing is HKT-KUL-NRT-USA. The connection is Malaysia to JAL.

I assume the ticket and routing are valid. Obviously, I would prefer HKT-NRT direct, but it is not available right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.