Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

WiFi rental pickup in HKT return to BKK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Haven't been able to confirm this from searching online, but is it possible to rent a pocket wifi at HKT and return the device when leaving Thailand out of BKK? If so, are there any specific companies recommended that allow this?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most people would probably utilize a local SIM, with a mobile data package, in their mobile phone, and then use that as a hotspot. (Some mobile data packages include WiFi. There are also a few prepaid WiFi suppliers: 3BB and True. I guess it would be ideal if you could share your application requirements - number of devices, usage, etc. - , as there may be a number of potential solutions.)

But if you don't have a mobile phone then this won't work, obviously.

Maybe check with Klook? Looks to be pricey, and not sure about an open-jaw?

https://www.klook.com/activity/16446-4g-wifi-thailand/

Last edited by transpac; Jan 24, 2020 at 6:37 pm
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:57 pm

Or buy a mifi and amazon before you leave (assuming you are in NC, USA) - you can buy the sim locally or amazon also has sims that cover Thailand. Would be much easier.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Just get a local SIM, use it as a mobile hotspot. AIS offers 32GB/month data plans for about $3/month. Talk/text extra. Speed fast enough to stream video in most locations.

Add to that, WiFi is also available everywhere here - nearly all of it free.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Just get a local SIM, use it as a mobile hotspot. AIS offers 32GB/month data plans for about $3/month. Talk/text extra. Speed fast enough to stream video in most locations.

Add to that, WiFi is also available everywhere here - nearly all of it free.
Are you sure that is correct? I am not an expert, as I have global roaming with T-mobile, but I think internet packages for "unlimited" data run about 100 baht ($3) a day with local SIMs.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I'm not interested in a local SIM, looking for a wifi hotspot rental , e.g. like those offered by Klook. Just can't seem to find a service that advertises open-jaw pick up and drop off.
I managed to do this without issue in Japan last year, hoping the same service is available in Thailand. I guess I will just enquire when I turn up in Phuket rather than booking in advance.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:22 pm

Isn't this what you want? Pick it up from the Smile counter at HKT and drop it off at the Smile counter at BKK.

Pick up and drop off your portable WiFi device at a 24 hour counter located in either the Suvarnabhumi Airport, Don Muang International Airport or HKT International Airport

It's the same link transpac posted in post 2 in this thread. I guess you have to ask them about the open jaw thing?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 25, 2020 at 3:34 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xychromosome
I'm not interested in a local SIM, looking for a wifi hotspot rental , e.g. like those offered by Klook. Just can't seem to find a service that advertises open-jaw pick up and drop off.
I managed to do this without issue in Japan last year, hoping the same service is available in Thailand. I guess I will just enquire when I turn up in Phuket rather than booking in advance.
MiFI rentals were (are) a thing in Japan as tourists weren't really allowed to buy SIM cards. Recently tourists can get data-only SIMs. And our Thai SIMs now roam in Japan (for data)

As tourists can easily get SIMs here in Thailand, MiFi rentals really aren't a thing. I'm actually amazed KLOOK offers such a thing. (Local Thai providers do still offer MiFi rental for use outside of Thailand.)

Hotspotting is a free feature here in Thailand. Typical tourist SIM packages run 299 baht/8 days/15GB/free on-net calls, or 599 baht/15 days/30 GB. Obviously a phone or foreign MiFi unit would need to support the local Thai frequencies.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Are you sure that is correct? I am not an expert, as I have global roaming with T-mobile, but I think internet packages for "unlimited" data run about 100 baht ($3) a day with local SIMs.
Yes. I have that exact package on my phone. 100 baht per month, 32GB data. (Talk/text extra.)
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Each provider here offers scads of direct promotions. And more through the indirect channel.

Not something I'd necessarily recommend to the average tourist. Challenging to find, manage/top-up, understand. Speed capped at 4 Mbps (in this case), promotion good for months 2-12, first month included in the 139 baht SIM package price.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ai...RA5HC&search=1

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...1227156774592/
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Isn't this what you want? Pick it up from the Smile counter at HKT and drop it off at the Smile counter at BKK.

It's the same link transpac posted in post 2 in this thread. I guess you have to ask them about the open jaw thing?

-David
Yep, that's the one. I finally heard back from Klook: "Regarding your inquiry 4G Pocket WiFi (Bangkok and Phuket Airports Pick Up) for Thailand, kindly be informed that you can pick up at HKT and drop off at BKK. There will be no problem. Thank you."

So open jaw looks to be no issue, even though there is no option for it when you book online.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Just to follow up, picked up Wi-Fi router from ‘Smile’ counter upon arrival at HKT. Comes with case and backup power pack. Daily rental is about $8usd, and I’m able to return it to any major Thai airport. So far works great all over Phuket.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xychromosome
Daily rental is about $8usd
Sorry, typo. Rental for 8 days was $38 so about $4.75usd a day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.