Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Stay airside at DMK while on return flight (visa run)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay airside at DMK while on return flight (visa run)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Question Stay airside at DMK while on return flight (visa run)

Is it possible to stay airside at DMK while waiting for return flight to Hanoi. I'm on a visa run, have no check-in, and want to avoid customs and immigration. Wouldn't this be just like waiting for connecting flight?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Are you going to take back the same aircraft you arrived in DMK?
I think the airline you are flying to DMK may have issues with Thai immigration as it shows in Thai immigration API that you are a passenger in that flight from Hanoi to DMK but you never showed up. It's better to check with the airline.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My best guess would be no.

Can you share any details? Have you already purchased a ticket? Airline(s)? Why the need to avoid entering Thailand? Are you blacklisted or otherwise unable to enter Thailand?

You can do land crossings (Cambodia. Laos) to satisfy your Vietnam visa's 90-day requirement (once you've made the initial international arrival).

Maybe PNH would be a better flying option? Assuming you can enter Cambodia of course.

AirAsia does offer "Fly-Thru" at DMK (90 min to 6 hours), but I'm not certain your itin qualifies.

You could ask here --> https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/171...airport-forum/
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Replying to dav662 (as newbie not sure how to do this)

Haven't purchased ticket yet.
Both flights are AirAsia (HAN>DMK, DMK>HAN).
Actually it's my girlfriend's problem She is Indonesian and was hassled by immigration at DMK last year so she wants to go to CNX where she has not been hassled. But it looks like all AirAsia HAN>CNX flights have a layover at DMK so she'll have to wait at airside. And I'm thinking she could just catch another AirAsia back to HAN from there - like she could get a HAN>DMK return ticket instead of HAN>CNX. But... maybe she has to go through check-in to get the return boarding pass?? Or would she get both boarding passes with the return ticket (all of this being done online).
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you define how your GF was hassled? What have been her travel patterns to/from THL?

Carrying an Indonesian passport means she gets a 30-day Tourist Visa Exemption.

She is trying to satisfy the 90-day bounce required by a Vietnam visa?

Maybe fly to PNH, or BKK (rather than DMK)?

I don't think she will be able to turn at DMK, back to HAN, without passing arriving Immigration, checking in, passing departing Immigration and security. Same-same if flying onto CNX.

Clearly there's more detail, and I understand not wanting to share it, but I really think she should look at alternatives. Fly down to SGN and do a land exit/entry at Moc Bai?

Last edited by transpac; Jan 7, 2020 at 8:31 pm
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:25 am

Why not just go on vacation somewhere? Laos, Cambodia, Japan, Macau/HK, Korea, Malaysia? Build up her travel resume.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
International arrivals at DMK are segregated from departures so she'll have to at least go through airside transit. Have only done this once when it was BKK but it as just a matter of going upstairs since security was at the gate - not sure what the facility is like today as there's no security at the holding pen.

KUL (specifically KLIA 1) would be better for what you want to do but definitely not KLIA 2.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
My best guess would be no.

Can you share any details? Have you already purchased a ticket? Airline(s)? Why the need to avoid entering Thailand? Are you blacklisted or otherwise unable to enter Thailand?

You can do land crossings (Cambodia. Laos) to satisfy your Vietnam visa's 90-day requirement (once you've made the initial international arrival).

Maybe PNH would be a better flying option? Assuming you can enter Cambodia of course.

AirAsia does offer "Fly-Thru" at DMK (90 min to 6 hours), but I'm not certain your itin qualifies.

You could ask here --> https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/171...airport-forum/
Your mention of "blacklist" got my attention.
Is there a blacklist for people with Political or Religious persuasions?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding a blacklisting, in the context of your OP, I was obviously referring to foreigners who have been blacklisted (possibly arrested and deported), for overstays. Bans range from 1 year upwards, to permanent.

"Good guys in, bad guys out."

Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Regarding a blacklisting, in the context of your OP, I was obviously referring to foreigners who have been blacklisted (possibly arrested and deported), for overstays. Bans range from 1 year upwards, to permanent.

"Good guys in, bad guys out."

Well that's not the case. She has never overstayed.
But I'm wondering if there's a different kind of blacklist. I've actually seen someone refused entry to Kuching (East Malaysia) because he was a "trouble-maker" - a religious zealot - and the Borneo Post was reporting on such events almost daily at the time. So I thought there might be that kind of blacklist (although she's the opposite of a zealot)
Anyway... she's got a direct 1-day return flight to CNX now and will show the return portion when she enters Thailand. I think that was the problem at DMK - they asked why she was coming to Thailand so often. And because of past problems with Immigration in her home country she's a bit paranoid.
Thanks anyway.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How often does she fly into Thailand? Per 12 month period? Per calendar year?

Frequent entries, and/or a total duration in country, eventually tip a yellow/red flag in the Imm. system, so it is rumored.

A one-day turn may raise different/separate flags with Immigration. Make sure she has 20,000 baht (equivalent cash) and a hotel rez. in hand as these may be asked for. An honest, esay-to-understand reason for the visit might also be handy.

It might be helpful if you detail the "hassle" encountered previously? Was it simply a few questions? Sidelined to a supervisor? Held in a room? Ultimately allowed into the country? How was the "hassle" overcome? Any unusual notations/stamps made in the passport?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:42 am
Original Poster

How often does she fly into Thailand? Per 12 month period? Per calendar year?
Frequent entries, and/or a total duration in country, eventually tip a yellow/red flag in the Imm. system, so it is rumored.
A one-day turn may raise different/separate flags with Immigration. Make sure she has 20,000 baht (equivalent cash) and a hotel rez. in hand as these may be asked for. An honest, esay-to-understand reason for the visit might also be handy.
It might be helpful if you detail the "hassle" encountered previously? Was it simply a few questions? Sidelined to a supervisor? Held in a room? Ultimately allowed into the country? How was the "hassle" overcome? Any unusual notations/stamps made in the passport?

Visits and duration... Since I've known her she has done 4 visa runs per year for the past 5 years with max 3 day stay - not always to Thailand., but it's usually the cheapest.
Reason for visit... How 'bout the truth - visa run.
Funds... 20,000 THB? For 1 day? US$661? Must be typo or 1 month stay. How much for 1 day?
....yikes!!! I see "Thai Law requires tourists to arrive with a minimum of 10,000 Baht (~300USD) per person". That's outrageous!!!! And not possible. Other sites say "Backpackers should budget 800–1,200 baht a day ($35–$50).
Hotel rez... $5 dorm (part of "funds available"...?)
The "hassle"... She said "they were curious why I always came to Thailand every 3 mo for over 2 years". That's all. And it seems to have been resolved amicably
Unusual notations... I'll ask her to check her passport - all of it - and expired ones too.
Also... her passport was renewed in Vietnam - don't know what year but it expires in 2021. Prior to that she must have renewed in US or Canada,
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's 10,000 baht for a single traveler, on a tourist visa exemption and 20,000 baht for a family. You get stamped in for 30 days with a TVE. Your GF should consider having 10,000 baht (or the equivalent) cash in hand as she is eligible for a TVE.

With a valid tourist visa (30/60 day, single entry, double entry: obtained in another country), the requirement is for 20,000 baht for a single traveler.

"Visa Run" might lead to some confusion, but give it a try. Most tourists visit Thailand for tourism.

Not having the cash on hand required by law may lead to denial of entry. Not having a hotel reservation may also lead to denial of entry.

So it doesn't sound like much of a hassle? Just the one question, easily dealt with, in what 8+ entries?

DMK is generally acknowledged as being a bit more challenging for some travelers re: Immigration. BKK less so.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:07 am

“....The "hassle"... She said "they were curious why I always came to Thailand every 3 mo for over 2 years". That's all. And it seems to have been resolved amicably...”

Not to cast any aspersions or to infer anything negative about the OP’s gf, if she was traveling alone, there maybe another reason immigrations gave her difficulties. Once again, I mean no disrespect and not to offend, just offering a theory for that situation, as Immigrations have been known to crack down.

Refer to Thai Immigration Act B.E. 2522, Chapter 2, Section 12, Line 8.

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go...ration_Act.pdf

Last edited by northsideguy; Jan 12, 2020 at 8:12 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by northsideguy
“....The "hassle"... She said "they were curious why I always came to Thailand every 3 mo for over 2 years". That's all. And it seems to have been resolved amicably...”

Not to cast any aspersions or to infer anything negative about the OP’s gf, if she was traveling alone, there maybe another reason immigrations gave her difficulties. Once again, I mean no disrespect and not to offend, just offering a theory for that situation. As Immigrations have been known to crack down.

Refer to Thai Immigration Act B.E. 2522, Chapter 2, Section 12, Line 8.

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go...ration_Act.pdf
Yes I agree with you on this. As you said no aspersions but immigration officers do look at the worst reasons. So a girl traveling alone raises a red flag for them. I have seen this myself the questioning by them for the reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.