Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Khao Yai National Park: recommend hotel, trails etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:47 pm
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum

My Thai friend and I are planning to go to Khao Yai National Park and stay in the region for 2 nights just before Christmas (drive up on first day, then a full day and drive back on the third day). My friend has a car and we will be driving up from Nonthaburi. We do not want to stay in a hostel or budget hotel, nor can we afford a top-end hotel (if there is one). We see that Pat Chong region is better for the Park entrance (North Gate).

We would welcome recommendations for a mid-range hotel and restaurants. We are both fit and active and would welcome recommendations for some trails to see the forests and countryside. We will not be camping.

This seems the be the best website for information (https://www.thainationalparks.com/kh...-national-park). But your comments would be great.

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Atta Lakeside Resort Suite but it is higher than mid rane, probably of the order of 4,000 Baht per night.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you take a rental car be sure to get the Elephant Insurance option...

Elephant chooses bad time for a lie down in Khao Yai national park

A large bull elephant has attempted to crush a car full of tourists that stopped on a road in Khao Yai national park in Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima), north east of Bangkok, prompting national park staff to remind visitors what they should do if they are confronted by one of the mighty beasts as they drive through.

The 35 year old tusked elephant, was standing beside a car parked on the main road through the park in Pak Chong district yesterday afternoon. The elephant then started leaning on the car before straddling the rear of the vehicle and lowering its weight.

The driver moved forward slowly trying to prevent the rear suspension giving way. The video shows the sedan’s rear window smashed and the roof and body damaged.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/envi...-national-park
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:12 am

Keep in mind the foreigner price is around 10 times the Thai price. 400B versus 40B.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Keep in mind the foreigner price is around 10 times the Thai price. 400B versus 40B.
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg

I live in Thailand as a foreigner. The reason for the price difference is to keep the fees low for Thai Nationals so every Thai can afford an opportunity to visit their national parks and historical sites. As the minimum daily wage is 325 baht, many families still have to save to visit a national park. I personally know many Thai families, who would like to visit Khao Yai, but can’t afford the cost (transportation, food, lodging & fee) of traveling to the park.

Rather than feeling insulted being charged a foreigner entrance fee, you should feel lucky to be able to afford and have the opportunity to visit this natural treasure of Thailand.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
If you take a rental car be sure to get the Elephant Insurance option...

Elephant chooses bad time for a lie down in Khao Yai national park

A large bull elephant has attempted to crush a car full of tourists that stopped on a road in Khao Yai national park in Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima), north east of Bangkok, prompting national park staff to remind visitors what they should do if they are confronted by one of the mighty beasts as they drive through.

The 35 year old tusked elephant, was standing beside a car parked on the main road through the park in Pak Chong district yesterday afternoon. The elephant then started leaning on the car before straddling the rear of the vehicle and lowering its weight.

The driver moved forward slowly trying to prevent the rear suspension giving way. The video shows the sedan’s rear window smashed and the roof and body damaged.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/envi...-national-park
I know you just repost the article from the news site. The article should have said ‘idiot driver chooses bad time to park vehicle by elephant in Khao Ya’. This is what happens when drivers in do not follow instructions. Vehicles are not to stop and park on the roads in Khao Yai. There are designated parking areas. You should keep your distance with a wild elephant(s), and not approach an elephant(s) with your vehicle. This vehicle stopped to take pictures of the elephant, and their actions presented the elephant an opportunity to get close to the vehicle. The elephant was not attempting to crush the car, but rather give himself a good scratch on his underside. Scratching is an elephant’s normal activity they do in the wild. This could have ended tragically if the elephant got defensive and aggressive. The vehicle’s occupants were very lucky and very stupid.
(Just to let you know I’m with an elephant foundation here in Thailand)

Last edited by northsideguy; Oct 31, 2019 at 4:12 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northsideguy
This is what happens when drivers in do not follow instructions. Vehicles are not to stop and park on the roads in Khao Yai. There are designated parking areas. You should keep your distance with a wild elephant(s), and not approach an elephant(s) with your vehicle.

In this article they mention that

The park suggested drivers stop their vehicles 30 metres away from an incoming elephant, keep the engine on and back away if the animal comes closer.

This elephant, Deua, is quite impressive...

Park staff on Tuesday night posted a Facebook message with a picture of the elephant, saying Duea always came out to "greet" tourists during the transitional period between the wet and cold seasons.

There is a video of the incident in this article.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ar-in-khao-yai

These are still my favs...

Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:55 am
siw
Original Poster

I alreasy saw the 400THB and 40THB parks entrance fees. Where are these paid? We will enter using the North Gate and go to the Visotor's Centre as it seems there are some trails near there and, I assume, we can get some maps to drive to other trials further in the park. I am not finding much information at the moment, so I guess I just have to wait until we get there.

We will be driving there using my friend's car (Thai citizen). As I am a non-Thai citizen I cannot fathom if I will be legally allowed to drive my friend's car. I can buy a IDP for £5 from my local Post Office before I fly there. But I cannot find out if I need to be put on my friend's car insurance - that would be needed here in the UK. But I cannot find out what legal requirements are for a non-Thai to drive a friend's car in Thailand. If I had a rental car (which I am not getting) then all the insurance would be within the price.

I want to share the driving for two reasons: 1) my friend can relax a bit on the journey and 2) if I can work out the driving there for this trip then I can drive more with my friend on all other trips.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your Thai friend should be able to sort out the insurance issue with one simple phone call.

Said friend should also be able to find detailed information re: navigating the park in the many, many, many Thai websites.

No clue what you're looking for, but obviously pretty easy to find guides on-line.

Top 10 rules to avoid an elephant squishing your car

Stay at least 30 metres away in your car and slowly back up to keep your distance if the elephant approaches.
No flash photography.
Do not honk the car’s horn or make other loud noises.
Do not turn off the engine and be ready to drive away at any time.
Do not get out of the vehicle to take photos.
Turn off your headlights if encountering elephants at night. Do not flash headlights or other lights at them.
If surrounded by elephants circling your car, move towards a spot in the circle with no elephants.
If the car in front of you backs up, please back up as well, as it might be an emergency situation.
Do not get out of the car and approach the elephant.
An elephant’s best senses are hearing, smell, and vision. If you turn off your engine, the elephant will approach and use these senses to investigate, by looking at, smelling, and listening to your car.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/envi...shing-your-car

Tourists warned about thieving monkeys in Khao Yai National Park

Officials at Khao Yai National Park, north east of Bangkok, are warning visitors to be aware of rogue monkeys that may steal their belongings. They say tourists who camp overnight need to be particularly vigilant, particularly when preparing food.

Thai Residents reports that with the current cooler weather coinciding with high season in the national park, the increase in visitors also brings more monkeys and they don’t just target tourists. Local villagers are also struggling to protect their belongings against the cheeky primates. One coffee shop owner within the national park says the monkeys regularly break cups and bottles.

https://thethaiger.com/news/north-ea...-national-park
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by siw

We will be driving there using my friend's car (Thai citizen). As I am a non-Thai citizen I cannot fathom if I will be legally allowed to drive my friend's car. I can buy a IDP for £5 from my local Post Office before I fly there. But I cannot find out if I need to be put on my friend's car insurance - that would be needed here in the UK. But I cannot find out what legal requirements are for a non-Thai to drive a friend's car in Thailand. If I had a rental car (which I am not getting) then all the insurance would be within the price.
It depends on your friend’s auto insurAnce policy. Yes, you also need a IDP and your regular license. I have one of the best Thai auto insurance policy for my car. When you pay the yearly premium, there are different age brackets for coverage. You can buy a policy with just your age group, or you can get a policy that covers all age group for a higher premium. I have policy that covers all age groups as my girlfriend in in the age group below me, so she is covered when driving. You have to reach out to your friend to find out what policy they have.

Just to let you know driving in Thailand is way different than driving in the UK. Traffic laws are not obeyed, so you have to drive super defensively. On highways, some will tailgate at over 120kph or over take you on the shoulder. At night, vehicles drive with non-operating lights, so you don’t see them until it is too late. Then there are the vehicles going the wrong way or the motorbikes, who will cut in front of you, In the city, this problem is even worse. Just want you to be aware when you get behind the wheel.

You pay entrance fees to the parks when you go through the entrance gates.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
An elephant’s best senses are hearing, smell, and vision. If you turn off your engine, the elephant will approach and use these senses to investigate, by looking at, smelling, and listening to your car.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/envi...shing-your-car
Who ever wrote this article make an incorrect statement. Asian Elephants have very poor eye sight. Yes, their sense of hearing and smell are acute, but they have a very strong sense of touch/feeling. They will use their trunk to feel and touch things to investigate. Even though they can’t see you and your car maybe behind them 50 meters away, they can feel the vibrations of the running vehicle through their feet. Their feet can detect vibrations over a mile away.

Otherwise there is good advise on what to do for an elephant encounter in Khao Yai.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:00 am
siw
Original Poster

transpac and northsideguy, many thanks for all the useful information.

On my previous trips around SE Asia I used public transport but I want to start driving with my Thai friend; there's a first time for everything and by doing this we can drive to more places in future trips.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:25 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Travelfish on Khao Yai

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.