Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 days in Thailand Suggestions - Early November

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

7 days in Thailand Suggestions - Early November

Hi all - In late October, I will be on the back end of a two-week Asia business trip, with the last stop being Langkawi Island, Malaysia. My wife is flying over from US to LGK and we will be there 3-4 days before we go on vacation. I've been to Thailand, but it's been a long time (~17 years ago) and Phi Phi was still just picking up in popularity. Any suggestions (or warnings) on itinerary for 7-days would be helpful. Items under consideration include an island stop, possible northern trip, and, of course, Bangkok. Budget is pretty open. I know it's a broad question, I'm happy to help with further details. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by beermati
Hi all - In late October, I will be on the back end of a two-week Asia business trip, with the last stop being Langkawi Island, Malaysia. My wife is flying over from US to LGK and we will be there 3-4 days before we go on vacation. I've been to Thailand, but it's been a long time (~17 years ago) and Phi Phi was still just picking up in popularity. Any suggestions (or warnings) on itinerary for 7-days would be helpful. Items under consideration include an island stop, possible northern trip, and, of course, Bangkok. Budget is pretty open. I know it's a broad question, I'm happy to help with further details. Thanks in advance!
Since it's a vacation, presumably you'd like to relax a bit so I'd limit the trip to 2 of the 3 options referenced in your post. Specifically, Bangkok plus either an island hop or a Northern Thailand hop.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would skip the "island stop" unless you were planning on doing some diving in the Gulf of Thailand (Samui, etc..) because you would have spent 3-4 days in Langkawi already.

The experience in Phuket really wouldn't be all that different and the diving in Langkawi area is pretty good already.

I'd suggest, like Diplomatico, that you just do 2 stops.

Fly from LGK to Chiang Mai, do 3-4 days in northern Thailand's mountainous regions, and then back to Bangkok for the end. Presumably you'd fly back to the US from BKK.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Diplomatico & Plato - Thanks for the replies! Yes, flying back to US from BKK.

Only having two stops makes sense for the length of the visit. We do like to dive, but I haven't been to northern mountains before, so I'll review some options in the north.

For flight options, I'm having trouble with search engines. Most are showing LGK/KUL/BKK/CNX (8-9 hours). Looks like only one stop option is AK (LGK/KUL/CNX) and even their website won't show that as a single itinerary. Strange.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:43 pm

If you want to save some travel time and have a different experience you can take the sleeper train in first class from Chiang Mai back to Bangkok. Two in a cabin.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: most of them
not sure I see how such a long train ride "saves travel time". I guess it would eliminate a hotel night though. But it's a quick 1 hour flight between BKK and CNX with dozens of flights a day.

Looks like you should be able to connect via SIN from LGK to CNX but it looks like you might have to piece together separate itins since Scoot appears to have unreasonably long overnight connections if you'd want to use them. But SilkAir apparently flies SIN to CNX.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Are u going to be there for Loi Krathong? That's a nice occasion and I'd be aware of it and try to go see something.

Phuket, Samui and Ko Phi Phi are way, way too overrun for my tastes these days. I went to Phi Phi in 1995 and then again in 2015 and the contrast was really jarring. Just totally overrun. Some would also say "newer" spots like Ko Chang and Ko Lanta also are past the tipping point. I used to do the "beach chase" (hard not to with all the postcards you see everywhere) but you really have to go further and further afield and I've been lucky to get to other contenders like Samoa and the Seychelles. My favorite in the SE Asia region was the Perhentians in Malaysia.

I used to take the trains...first CNX trip in 1996 and the two Laos trips were done that way, plus one all the way Singapore-Bangkok (22 hours), but with ULCCs and the fare wars I'm willing to give up the "charm."

Chiang Mai has great bang-for-buck and some bona fide sights like Wat Doi Suthep and the trekking opportunities. I also like Udon Thani but it's a little more subtle and less set up for big-scale tourism.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Rusty - thanks for the excellent comments. No, we will be there ~11/4 - 11/11, before Loi Krathong. That's my impression of Phuket and Phi Phi - simply too overcrowded. I was there ~2000, but my wife has never been, so I was thinking about Ko Lanta, if we choose island over Chiang Mai. I'm still researching CM, for example, hotels, sites, how long to stay in CM vs BKK, etc.

Is it typical to make a base in Chiang Mai 3-4 days and make day trips?

I did look at farther options for post-Langkawi (South Pacific, or west to Seychelles, Sri Lanka, etc,) but the distance was generally too far. Also, as I mentioned, although I've been to Thailand, my wife hasn't, so the Thailand option seems to be most practical - and I loved my trip there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.