Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shipping to Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Shipping to Thailand

Anyone one have any exp shipping to Thailand.
How much taxes will they charge. And how do they figure out the value?? Someone told me if I ship something in a Thai persons name from the USA to a Thai person in Thailand that they will take it easy on the taxes. How true is that. I would hate to ship some stuff like a motorcycle seat and such and have some customs guy get all out of control on the taxes. The seat was not expensive but could be if I get nailed on taxes. Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Hi Dobbers84

The answers to your questions above are basically the same as the answers provided in your previous post " To declare or not to declare in Thailand ".

Shipping the item(s) in a Thai person's name from the USA to a Thai person in Thailand is not going to make the slightest difference as far as Thai Customs is concerned.

Thai Customs will charge you import duty based upon the as new (book value) of the item(s), or their best estimate (which will inevitably be considerably higher than the as new book value), regardless of the fact that the item(s) are new or used.

You mentioned a motorcycle seat in your post. The import duty on motorcycle parts is currently 60%. So for example if the as new value of the seat is say 100 US$ and the cost of shipping is say 50 US$ (including insurance), then Thai Customs will charge you import duty at 60% of (100 + 50) = 90 US$.

They will then charge you Value Added Tax (VAT) at 7% on (150 + 90) = 16.8 US$.

Your total duty bill will be (90 + 16.8) = 106.8 US$.

FYI - You may also be charged a transaction fee by either Thai Customs or the shipping agent for collecting the above mentioned duty payable.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:35 pm

The best option is still to contact a Freight Forwarder... They can usually provide a quotation within 48 hours. You'll get an idea of the shipping rates, charges, customs charges, taxes, and so on.

Logistics is quite expensive but from USA to Thailand, it's better to be sure your goods are handled safely and quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.