Americans arrested in Thailand for exposing themselves at religious temple

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Americans arrested in Thailand for exposing themselves at religious temple

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think caning is a punishment option here in Thailand, perhaps as the British never colonized Siam? Nor am I certain the crime(s) would warrant such a punishment if committed in Singapore?

Corporal punishment is technically illegal here in Thailand, but teachers still carry whipping sticks, and usually there are several hundred complaints about teachers whipping the crap out of very young students every school year.

AFAIK, these men were arrested at DMK departing Thailand, and were not committing any crime(s) at the time of their arrest, so I'm not sure any extra physical force would have been warranted? I'm not even sure how much training a typical RTP "recruit" gets, but I don't recall a lot of issues with excessive force? Usually, if the police want to "get rid of someone" they do it effectively.

I'm more of a "rule-of-law" guy, rather than a "rule-by-law" guy. As far as I can tell these men were caught having committed a crime, were charged and paid the requisite fine. Winging it by making up additional crimes, and punishment seems third-world-ish to me, and thankfully cooler heads prevailed with the Thai "authorities".

Last edited by transpac; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There's nothing "third world" about prosecutors filing additional charges.

And given we have photos of the two being detained at DMK, it's unclear why there's any speculation about "extra physical force".

I think the gradual application of pain was in reference to the punishment meted out to these two, not physical force.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Plato90s
I think the gradual application of pain was in reference to the punishment meted out to these two, not physical force.
In my instruction, it was in the context of subduing uncooperative individuals in public. But as worded, it could easily apply to both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.