Wiki Posts
Search

I am travelling to Thailand for the first time

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Uber might be more expensive than a metered taxi sometimes, but I often have trouble getting taxis to use the meter. The price they are willing to offer is almost always more than what an Uber would charge. With an Uber I get a cheap ride without having to argue with 20 taxis about using the meter.
But even then sometimes Uber is priced so high that I take BTS/MRT to an intermediate point and try my luck.

Since the gov started cracking down on Uber (for their taxi mafia benefactors) prices have increased significantly.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:17 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Uber might be more expensive than a metered taxi sometimes, but I often have trouble getting taxis to use the meter. The price they are willing to offer is almost always more than what an Uber would charge. With an Uber I get a cheap ride without having to argue with 20 taxis about using the meter.
In the past 12 years I may have had problems with taxis using the meter 4-5 times and never in the past 6-7 years.

Originally Posted by Ritika Sharma
What preps do I need to make for my Thailand trip?
Where all do u suggest should I go?
See the trip report in my signature for good tips.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
How long are we going to keep posting answers to a ridiculously general question for a poster who posts and runs? 1 post - none since original question.
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by estnet
How long are we going to keep posting answers to a ridiculously general question for a poster who posts and runs? 1 post - none since original question.
Agreed.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Make sure you are vaccinated for Hep A (or better, get the Twinrix, which is Hep A & B) & typhoid.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Make sure you are vaccinated for Hep A (or get Twinrix, which is Hep A & Hep B) & typhoid.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rubesl
Make sure you are vaccinated for Hep A (or better, get the Twinrix, which is Hep A & B) & typhoid.
1st time Ive ever seen such a post in the Thai Forum.Is this necessary? Or does it depend on what one will be doing?

Ive been all over with the exception of Africa and never got any shots, when I eventually go on a safari I will thou
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by craz
1st time Ive ever seen such a post in the Thai Forum.Is this necessary? Or does it depend on what one will be doing?

Ive been all over with the exception of Africa and never got any shots, when I eventually go on a safari I will thou
Hep B you might be ok. But Hep A is a different beast. Easy to get. Can happen anywhere (I got mine in a developed country). The one shot it takes for cover is well worth it. I'd say essential.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Hep A is quite common and you need to be vaccinated when visiting many parts of the world, including Asia and Africa.

Hep B and C are more rare and mostly sexually transmitted and unless you are gay and don't use protection, you are unlikely to get infected. However, the Twinrix vaccination is still certainly recommended. There is no vaccination against Hep C which is very serious/is almost always chronic. Most will recover from being infected with Hep B within 6 months.

Hepatitis is liver infection.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: None
Phuket , Phi Phi islands.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:39 pm

I'd suggest island hopping;
lots of nice beaches there ;_)))
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:15 am

Getting along bangkok is not always easy... As mentioned before, Uber or Grabe are not always the cheapest alternatives. Do not hesitate to stop a Taxi and ask for the meter... It can end up being way cheaper.

Anyway BAngkok is a vibrant city, which will give you a lot of energy. Enjoy it and let us know how you feel about it
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The first time I came to Thailand, also my first time in Asia, I had no idea what to expect. So I made an appointment with the travel clinic at a major hospital where I live (Boston). It was easy. I gave them my itinerary and they told me what vaccinations they thought that I needed. I had them give me exactly what they recommended, -- I'm certainly in no position to second guess them. Better safe than sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.