Wiki Posts
Search

Renting a car in Thailand: Hertz vs. Budget and insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Renting a car in Thailand: Hertz vs. Budget and insurance

My husband and I will be renting a car at BKK. Hertz seems to be half the price of Budget. Is there a reason why Budget would be worth twice as much?

As far as I can tell, the included compulsory insurance is pretty similar and Thailand's Road Protection Act ensures appropriate liability coverage.
Hertz: http://www.hertzthailand.com/EN/Terms.aspx
Budget: http://www.budget.co.th/tips_insurance.aspx
Thailand Road Protection Act: http://www.oic.or.th/upload/motorins.../1042-4260.pdf

Our credit card provides collision insurance:
Worldwide Auto Rental Insurance Coverage
As an eligible Insured you are automatically eligible to receive reimbursement for amounts paid for repair of Damage or Loss to a Rented Automobile, and for which the Insured is responsible, when the loss occurs Worldwide. This coverage applies pro- vided the entire rental fee has been charged or debited to your covered Account; and, provided you have rejected, at the time of rental, any waiver of liability for Damage or Loss available from the rental company.

Eligibility:
This Damage or Loss reimbursement is provided to you, as an Insured, automatically when the entire cost of the motor vehicle rental is charged or debited to your covered Account. It is not necessary for you to notify the Insurance Company or Plan Admin- istrator at the time the rental fee is charged or debited to your covered Account.

The Cost:
This coverage is provided at no additional cost to eligible Insureds under the master policy issued to Citigroup Inc., by Federal Insurance Company (the Company).

Length of Coverage:
The coverage period will not exceed thirty-one (31) consecutive days.

Amount of Insurance:
The Company’s liability will be for a maximum reimbursement of $50,000. From the amount of reimbursement due the Insured, the amount of any valid and collectible insurance will be deducted. In no event will the Company be liable beyond the amounts actually paid by the Insured.
So, between the compulsory liability and collision insurance provided by the car rental companies and the supplementary insurance provided by our credit card, is there a compelling reason to purchase additional coverage offered by the rental car companies or elsewhere (recognizing that doing so will void the insurance provided by my credit card)?

I don't want this thread to be a debate about whether or not we should rent a car, but rather provide guidance on which car rental company to choose and making appropriate decisions about insurance.

Thanks for any input.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Check out Avis Thailand. I've found they are often the cheapest by a large margin but no points are offered when making a reservation through them.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

The problem I have with Avis is I have never been able to get a quote on their website. I fill in my relevant info, continue to the next page, and the rate is always 0 baht.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lexi
The problem I have with Avis is I have never been able to get a quote on their website. I fill in my relevant info, continue to the next page, and the rate is always 0 baht.
I have rented from Avis at least 10 times in the last 15 months, some from AvisThailand and some directly from Avis (depending), and I've never experienced what you describe.

But if you've had problems I can understand your reticence.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I have rented from Avis at least 10 times in the last 15 months, some from AvisThailand and some directly from Avis (depending), and I've never experienced what you describe.

But if you've had problems I can understand your reticence.
Thanks for reporting your positive experiences with Avis. I began to wonder why I was having problems with their (Avis Thailand) website and then it occurred to me I think I have only tried getting a quote when I was using my iPad. I just fired up my laptop and the website worked much better. The quote I received was 500 baht less per day than Hertz.

It appears however, they charge 200 baht per day for an extra driver, so the savings is only 300 baht per day.

The only question that remains is the quality/value of the insurance and whether or not I need to seek extra insurance from them or elsewhere.

Avis insurance information doesn't seem to mention anything about liability (i.e., if I am at fault for damaging other property or injuring another party). http://www.avisthailand.com/online_r...rvice_info.php

Does anyone have any insight into Thailand's Road Protection Act and if that covers renters adequately?

Thanks again for everyone's input. I appreciate it.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:07 pm

Who has heard of RENT A CAR CLUB any good?

I have rented from "Avis", "Hertz" and "Thai Rent a Car" in the past but found this company while searching for cheap car rental Bangkok and they are like air bnb for cars. They claim to have a partnership with Viriyah who is the biggest insurance company. I am considering to give "Rent a Car Club" a shot as some of the cars are much cheaper than all the traditional car rental companies, but would like to know any feedback from people who have used them before.

Any good? are they safe? is the insurance real?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TECHBUFFIN
Who has heard of RENT A CAR CLUB any good?

I have rented from "Avis", "Hertz" and "Thai Rent a Car" in the past but found this company while searching for cheap car rental Bangkok and they are like air bnb for cars. They claim to have a partnership with Viriyah who is the biggest insurance company. I am considering to give "Rent a Car Club" a shot as some of the cars are much cheaper than all the traditional car rental companies, but would like to know any feedback from people who have used them before.

Any good? are they safe? is the insurance real?
RENT A CAR CLUB does have a presence up here (Issan). People I know are iffy about it, but no specifics reported. I would recommend sticking with the better known companies like Hertz, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.