Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

How much time to transfer between DMK and BKK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:02 am
Original Poster

I've looked at some other threads but I know that this answer often hinges on time of day. I've got a flight arriving at DMK at 4:20 p.m. and then a long-haul flight leaving at BKK at 9:15 p.m.

I'm assuming this is fine but need some reassurance.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Having taken the bus several times, it leaves on time and always arrives in under an hour. Suppose you get stuck in a long immigration line at DMK and you get on a bus just after six, ninety minutes after arrival. Let's also suppose it is the longest ride ever, 90 minutes, which is over 30 minutes longer than it's ever been for me. You still are at the airport 1:45 before your flight. That's more than enough time. Reminder: Check your airline's baggage cut-off time for BKK. I've never flown an airline out of BKK with a two hour cutoff.

A couple pointers: Have your ticket out of BKK PRINTED ahead of time. Printed works best, and you will need to show it to take the free bus. If you are running late at BKK, if you are not already eligible ask the people checking you in if they can give you a card for the faster security/immigration check. These are given to airline elites and business class, and can shave time off getting through security.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by giblet
I've looked at some other threads but I know that this answer often hinges on time of day. I've got a flight arriving at DMK at 4:20 p.m. and then a long-haul flight leaving at BKK at 9:15 p.m.

You should be fine if your arrival is timely and have been given great advice by CJKatl. I'm guessing PG pricing wasn't close enough to be considered.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Day of week? Exact date better. How many travelers?

Arriving flight at DMK is domestic? International? Checked bags?

The inter-airport bus may be the best option given the taxi queue problems at DMK.

Shuttle bus to Don Mueang - Suvarnabhumi

Park waiting to serve only passengers. Don Mueang Airport And Suvarnabhumi Airport On the 1st floor entrance platform, gate 5, Terminal 1
, free of charge. The user must show the boarding pass to the driver before using this service.

http://donmueangairportthai.com/en/3...blic-transport

I'd say you should be fine with the bus or a taxi, unless there are some unusual circumstances. We've had a series of tropical storms over the past few weeks, with some of the heaviest rains I've ever seen here. All roads are flooded and delays of up to several hours are not unusual.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips, CJKatl! I'll print my tickets. I don't have one of the VIP cards, but if I am late I will ask for one.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
You should be fine if your arrival is timely and have been given great advice by CJKatl. I'm guessing PG pricing wasn't close enough to be considered.
$245 one way(!!!). Don't know my return date yet unfortch. The other option was get one that arrived 12 hours before the flight before I left for a 16 hour trip in Y and I just couldn't face it.

Originally Posted by transpac
Day of week? Exact date better. How many travelers?

Arriving flight at DMK is domestic? International? Checked bags?
Sunday the 30th, 2 pax, arriving at DMK international, checked bags.

I was thinking Uber. Is that possible from DMK? I haven't been there before. Is the bus option better?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just want to mention the usual concerns you should have when travelling on separate tickets. If for whatever reason you don't show up for your BKK outbound on time you'll find that the entirety of that ticket is cancelled, leaving you on the hook to arrange alternative transport at walk-up prices.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:30 am

I don't have one of the VIP cards, but if I am late I will ask for one.
There are also a couple of paid for premium services to hasten the journey through the airport. One of them is

https://www.bangkokflightservices.co...port-services/
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If for whatever reason you don't show up for your BKK outbound on time you'll find that the entirety of that ticket is cancelled, leaving you on the hook to arrange alternative transport at walk-up prices.
Isn't that what we hoard miles for?

transpac, don't leave me hanging!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From post #4 :

I'd say you should be fine with the bus or a taxi, unless there are some unusual circumstances.

I have no experience with UBER at DMK.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

From post #4 :

I'd say you should be fine with the bus or a taxi, unless there are some unusual circumstances.

I have no experience with UBER at DMK.
I didn't know if the answer had changed based on the answer to your questions in post #4 . I assume that traffic on Sundays would be lighter, but not sure at that time of day. Will be leaving the airport around 5pm.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
From post #4 :I have no experience with UBER at DMK.
Unpleasant at best, in my experience. Roads around and within the airport involve lots of twists and turns that seem to complicate timely arrival of Uber drivers. Even with the DMK taxi situation I will do a taxi every time after having tried Uber there a couple of times.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:45 am

There are a couple of options available.
  • First remember that the distance between Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) and Don Muang Airport (DMK) is 29.5 miles (47.5 km).
  • The free shuttle that runs to and from BKK and DMK has a transfer time of anywhere from 50 minutes to two hours depending on the time of day and traffic.
  • Taxi rates between BKK and DMK or vice versa should run approximately 350-450 baht. There will be some small toll fees in addition to the fare (approx 60-65 thb).
  • There is a public bus (#554 & #555) that runs between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport. The fare is approx. 35 baht. If you have luggage, it’s best to use alternative options.
  • Buses that depart from Don Mueang Airport (DMK) and arrive at BKK and drop off at level 4, gate 5.
  • You can also use Uber Bangkok.

For more details, http://www.pausethemoment.com/bkk-to-dmk-for-free/
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler
There are a couple of options available.
  • First remember that the distance between Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) and Don Muang Airport (DMK) is 29.5 miles (47.5 km).
  • The free shuttle that runs to and from BKK and DMK has a transfer time of anywhere from 50 minutes to two hours depending on the time of day and traffic.
  • Taxi rates between BKK and DMK or vice versa should run approximately 350-450 baht. There will be some small toll fees in addition to the fare (approx 60-65 thb).
  • There is a public bus (#554 & #555 ) that runs between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport. The fare is approx. 35 baht. If you have luggage, it’s best to use alternative options.
  • Buses that depart from Don Mueang Airport (DMK) and arrive at BKK and drop off at level 4, gate 5.
  • You can also use Uber Bangkok.

For more details, http://www.pausethemoment.com/bkk-to-dmk-for-free/
The would be 60 + 45 + 20 I believe.

But what's the point of giving/copying all this information as OP has a legit means of getting on the free DMK/BKK bus which takes the highway and therefor will be quicker than one that doesn't or an option that will still potentially hit traffic and be cash out of pocket?

And during their expected arrival time the bus runs every 12 min. ^
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:44 am

The would be 60 + 45 + 20 I believe. ^
What is it?

But what's the point of giving/copying all this information as OP has a legit means of getting on the free DMK/BKK bus which takes the highway and therefor will be quicker than one that doesn't or an option that will still potentially hit traffic and be cash out of pocket?

And during their expected arrival time the bus runs every 12 min. ^
You are right that OP wanted to reassurance of free DMK/BKK bus and there is a bus on every 12 mins on expected arrival time.

But somehow OP or another one who visits this topic would like to explore this place, they can choose another option. That's it.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A bit more detail on the BKK-DMK bus...

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...ee-shuttle-bus

Airport Free Shuttle Bus

Transfer Bus between Suvarnabhumi Airport – Don Muaeng Airport

05:00 a.m. - Midnight
Platform of Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger Terminal 2nd Floor, Gate 3
Tel. -

*Free Service

- (Bus coming from Don Muaeng Airport will drop passengers at the passenger terminal 4th Floor, Gate 5)
- Passengers going from Don Muaeng Airport to Suvarnabhumi Airport shall get on the bus at the platform of the1st Floor of passenger terminal of Don Muaneng Airport.

> 05.00 – 08.00 / 11.30 – 15.00 / 19.30 – 24.00 depart every 30 minutes

> 08.12 – 11.00 / 16.12 – 19.00 depart every 12 minutes

Tel. 1722 (Suvarnabhumi Airport Information Center) / 02-535-111 (Don Muang Airport Information Center)
Attached Images   

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.