Wiki Posts
Search

Phuket Beach Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Phuket Beach Question

Hi Folks,

Will be in Phuket in May for 2 weeks[/B]. Read alot of reviews online but things change so I figure id drop a post here.

Looking for a beach that fits the following:
1) Beach that is not over crowded by tourist or vendors. Quiet and peacefull (hopefully since it is May low season)
2) Clean sand and turquoise water
3) Close to hotels or B&B under $100 a night.

I've narrowed down by selection to Kata Noi/Kata beach. and staying at Chanalai Garden Resort so It is walking distance. Would like to hear everyone's input.

Thank you for all your replies.

Last edited by Chris101; Mar 4, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
You've narrowed it down to one beach and one hotel, sounds like you don't really need any input.

NB: The water can be deceptively dangerous from May-September. The currents shift as the weather changes.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
May is normally the hottest month. Though the thing working most in your favor in Phuket or just about anywhere in Thailand is the military government's crackdown on beach vendors. Before they took over you'd have popular beaches heavily encroached by umbrella/chair vendors, with too many boats parked and too many vendors of all types. Now the numbers are greatly reduced, there's noticeably more space and in some places there's a mandatory day off with no umbrellas and chairs.

Don't even think of renting a jet ski. Scams in that area have been incredibly persistent.

Beach chasers long ago decided Phuket was too built out and started going to Ko Lanta, Ko Chang (also very developed now), Ko Samui (almost like Phuket), and lately further afield in Trang province. Having been to the postcard places and seeing them get more crowded, I tend to save the beaches for other countries. I liked the Perhentians a lot in Malaysia, But once you've been to the Seychelles it's hard to see other places the same.

The advice about the currents for that time of year is also true. Don't assume too much about ability to do boat trips.

You can still have a fine time, though, especially if it's your first trip.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Yeah heard about jet ski scams. I think I will have another backup if the sea is too rough to visit phi phi island. Thanks Rusty

Originally Posted by RustyC
May is normally the hottest month. Though the thing working most in your favor in Phuket or just about anywhere in Thailand is the military government's crackdown on beach vendors. Before they took over you'd have popular beaches heavily encroached by umbrella/chair vendors, with too many boats parked and too many vendors of all types. Now the numbers are greatly reduced, there's noticeably more space and in some places there's a mandatory day off with no umbrellas and chairs.

Don't even think of renting a jet ski. Scams in that area have been incredibly persistent.

Beach chasers long ago decided Phuket was too built out and started going to Ko Lanta, Ko Chang (also very developed now), Ko Samui (almost like Phuket), and lately further afield in Trang province. Having been to the postcard places and seeing them get more crowded, I tend to save the beaches for other countries. I liked the Perhentians a lot in Malaysia, But once you've been to the Seychelles it's hard to see other places the same.

The advice about the currents for that time of year is also true. Don't assume too much about ability to do boat trips.

You can still have a fine time, though, especially if it's your first trip.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Though the thing working most in your favor in Phuket or just about anywhere in Thailand is the military government's crackdown on beach vendors. Before they took over you'd have popular beaches heavily encroached by umbrella/chair vendors, with too many boats parked and too many vendors of all types. Now the numbers are greatly reduced, there's noticeably more space and in some places there's a mandatory day off with no umbrellas and chairs."

Pretty sure the beach chairs are back in Phuket. They never left most Thai-centric destinations.

Never understood the issue with these; they make a day at the beach fantastic - comfortable seating, umbrellas, vendors constantly parading awesome food right to your table.

Sun loungers to return to all Phuket beaches

PHUKET: Sun loungers will be allowed back on Kata Beach from tomorrow (Mar 3) and later will be allowed back onto all nine Phuket beaches with “10% vendor zones”, Phuket Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan has told The Phuket News.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/sun-lou...XwsWTIRqHEU.97
Attached Images  
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I would of thought if there was a beach in Phuket with beautiful turquoise water the hotel close to it wouldn't be $100 a night.

The Karon beach is nice. Not stunning but ok.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For more deserted beaches I would choose a location between Surin and the airport. Bang Tao beach (the "Laguna" area is very nice with good beaches) or Nai Thon beach (it may be spelled as "Naithon" too). There are several nice resort properties near/at these beaches, and maybe you are lucky to find low-season rate within your budget (a part from that your budget is more suitable for a mid-range Karon or Kamala/Surin hotel)

If you expect to have the beach to yourself I would not stay in Karon/Kata beach.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

There is another one I was looking at, very down south. Nai Harn, but hotels are ridiculous. $100 +

Originally Posted by SK AAR
For more deserted beaches I would choose a location between Surin and the airport. Bang Tao beach (the "Laguna" area is very nice with good beaches) or Nai Thon beach (it may be spelled as "Naithon" too). There are several nice resort properties near/at these beaches, and maybe you are lucky to find low-season rate within your budget (a part from that your budget is more suitable for a mid-range Karon or Kamala/Surin hotel)

If you expect to have the beach to yourself I would not stay in Karon/Kata beach.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by transpac
Pretty sure the beach chairs are back in Phuket. They never left most Thai-centric destinations.

Never understood the issue with these; they make a day at the beach fantastic - comfortable seating, umbrellas, vendors constantly parading awesome food right to your table.
They haven't banned 'em entirely, but they have kept 'em from taking up nearly all the beach like they used to do in some spots. Especially on eroded beaches where the sand strips are narrow, the old situation would leave much of the space occupied, degrading the experience and ceding only the last few feet to the waterline. It's a bit like the old situation on sidewalks...lots of encroachment on what's supposed to be public space by private entities, to the point where you had to walk in the road because sidewalks are too jammed and impassible.

As for the food and other vendors, there's no on/off switch for that. The operators of the chair sections generally only get you drinks when called and settle up at the end, but everyone else (i.e. walking vendors selling food and all manner of physical items) don't operate that way and you have to say no thanks a lot.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, I had a rest/sit down at Batong Beach 2 weeks go. I was approached by at least 10 vendors selling drinks, food, sun glasses, etc during the 10 min I spend there
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:36 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
To get the crystal waters you are talking about, you may look get off of Phuket to other beaches.

There are some quite nearby, like Koh Ratcha or Coconut Island. If you like the backpacker scene, PhiPhi may be your thing... it's not mine!

Naiharn beach is one of the nicest in Phuket.

But, listen to the warnings about the strong deadly rip tides that take many lives each year, despite the warnings. Simply put, beaches facing the open Andaman Sea are subject to strong seas. Choosing a sheltered beach isn't that hard to find, just take note of the geography.

You will have tons of Russians and Chinese if you pick mainstream spots, even in May.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Have a look at Nai Yang and Mai Khao

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.