Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Customs Question

I will be traveling to Bangkok Thailand in mid-November. I have never traveled internationally before so this is all very new to me. I have searched for information regarding what I am allowed to enter the country with. I understand that there is a 20,000 baht exemption for personal effects. Certainly my 4 year old macbook air is probably worth that much. My Galaxy note smartphone is also in that value range. Do they mean used personal possessions like those I just mentioned, or are they talking about "New in-box" items? Like gifts or such? I find this very confusing. I don't want to wind up in a Thai prison my first trip..Lol.
Any advice or clarity to my question would be much appreciated.

DH
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You have to declare items you intend to bring into the country and consume or leave in the country. Gifts, alcohol and such are included in this category but you get the 20k Thai Baht allotment. Beyond the 20k Baht you have to pay a duty on goods.

The same will happen when you return to your own country.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Sep 24, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply to my question. Do items like my used macbook and smartphone count against this 20,000 baht allotment?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:04 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by dhend25
Thank you for your reply to my question. Do items like my used macbook and smartphone count against this 20,000 baht allotment?
Not unless you plan to leave them in the country.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
As Nux has said, unless you plan on leaving those items in Thailand you do not even declare them. Only declare items you're intending on bringing in & leaving in the country or will consume while in country.
For example. I am about to travel from US to Qatar, South Africa & the UK before returning to the US. I will probably purchase souvenirs in Qatar, South Africa & London but will declare them only when I return to the US. I will declare (some of) the wine I purchase in South Africa in the UK & the remainder upon return to the US as we will probably consume a bottle or two with friends in London and bringing 6 bottles with me into the country would probably raise some questions. I have done this many times before and only once been asked to pay a duty (tax) on the wine at either place.

Originally Posted by dhend25
Originally Posted by nux
Not unless you plan to leave them in the country.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for clarification of my question. It now makes some sense. Before it did not make sense to me. Your explanation makes this much clearer. Thank you again for your kind and very helpful response to my question. Have a good and safe trip!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 pm

And you enjoy your trip also. If you have questions for your return flight and customs just ask.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you again!! I will sleep much better tonight because of your helpful answers.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
As Nux has said, unless you plan on leaving those items in Thailand you do not even declare them. Only declare items you're intending on bringing in & leaving in the country or will consume while in country.
For example. I am about to travel from US to Qatar, South Africa & the UK before returning to the US. I will probably purchase souvenirs in Qatar, South Africa & London but will declare them only when I return to the US. I will declare (some of) the wine I purchase in South Africa in the UK & the remainder upon return to the US as we will probably consume a bottle or two with friends in London and bringing 6 bottles with me into the country would probably raise some questions. I have done this many times before and only once been asked to pay a duty (tax) on the wine at either place.
if you are arriving in the UK from outside the EU you are permitted to bring in 4 litres of wine, and up to two litres of spirits and or fortified or sparkling wine.

you must declare if you are over this limit... it doesn't matter if you intend to take them out again or not. 6 bottles means you need to declare them all. you may be asked to pay duty in the excess.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've entered Thailand a couple dozen times over the past few years with a bag that contains a now four year old MacBook Air, a much more valuable work PC, an iPhone, a Blu Android phone, an expensive set of earphones, a MiFi device and, sometimes, a projector. I've never been questioned, nor have I wound up in a Thai prison.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

What would happen if you have some gifts worth about 15K BHT don't declare them?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by bwiadca
What would happen if you have some gifts worth about 15K BHT don't declare them?
Depends on whether or not you get caught. I assure you, -- you don't want to be detained by the authorities at BKK.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Depends on whether or not you get caught. I assure you, -- you don't want to be detained by the authorities at BKK.
What are the chances of being caught with articles (plural) worth <$500?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I've probably entered Thailand more than a hundred times, and my bags have only been x-rayed on entry once.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I've probably entered Thailand more than a hundred times, and my bags have only been x-rayed on entry once.
Same here, in fact the one time customs asked me to place a bag into the machine they only wanted one of the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.