Wiki Posts
Search

Leave my lizards alone

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by invisible
Cool!

How did you do it? I could never outrun them...
I'm sure your lady would appreciate a handbag made from it...
My hobby for many years has been wild life photography and conservation so being able to work in very close proximity to animals has almost become second nature.

Ironically just a few weeks earlier I apprehended a young water monitor (about 18in long) on the doorstep. My better half remarked at the time, “I wonder where its mother is ?”.

Catching it wasn’t that difficult. I think it had just had a good feast on one of the local feral cats so it was somewhat docile. I did a touch of the late Steve Irwin and jumped onto its back clasping its mouth closed. My wife fetched the electrical insulating tape and bound its mouth and we then tied its hands/feet behind its back and covered its eyes with an old blanket to keep it calm.

The biggest task was getting it into, and out of the pickup. It weighed a ton. Releasing it was just the reverse of catching it, but with a very rapid exit on my part. It was totally un-phased by the whole event and just wandered off as though nothing had happened.

Better half is more into Gucci handbags .
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Bangkok has decided to remove some or all of the monitor lizards from various parks in they city. The video shows them capturing one in Lumpini. The city says they are a threat to joggers in the park. Nonsense. I've been jogging in that park for 20 years. You see them all the time. They are one of the attractions in the park.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/world/1091201/
You must be tired by now then!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
This one was spotted by my house security camera on June 2016. Location: 40km west of BKK. It's about 6ft nose to tail.

Caught and released into a canal away from habitation.
I hope that's outdoors, perhaps on a sort of porch, and not actually in your home.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Run Forrest, run.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope that's outdoors, perhaps on a sort of porch, and not actually in your home.
Are you scared of lizards?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:46 am

I think it had just had a good feast on one of the local feral cats
You just freaked out 95% of FT population. Cat-eating-lizard at doorstep.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Sorry to all those FTs who are freaking out, but unfortunately it is a fact of nature.

One of the joys of living in semi rural Thailand.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:40 am

Sorry to all those FTs who are freaking out, but unfortunately it is a fact of nature.

One of the joys of living in semi rural Thailand.
I had a pleasure telling how I was catching leopard geckos in my kitchen to a friend and his wife. Wife is such freaked of lizards that once seeing ordinary gecko in garage caused her to lock up in bedroom (story happens in California) and she called her husband to come from work to ensure that there was no geck still in the garage.

I am going to show your photo next time I see them with specific description of water monitor's diet...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
Are you scared of lizards?
Yes, the five foot ones, although the little guys that are five inches or less I find charming when they scamper around the walls inside Paradors in Spain.

There seems to be a continuum starting with small geckoes and going up to Komodo dragons with monitor lizards in the middle. I guess I like my lizards either tiny or on handbags. I've never tasted them grilled and would prefer to avoid having them fir dinner.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:15 pm

Yes, the five foot ones
They run really fast away from you when they see you. They are not there waiting for you to bite your ankles.

I guess I like my lizards either tiny or on handbags.
How about Tokay geckos?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I fibbed a little. I took a bathroom break in July, 2014 for 15 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.