Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1-day in Bangkok, suggestion for hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Question 1-day in Bangkok, suggestion for hotel?

In Jan/2016, my wife and I travel to Taiwan, then 1-week to Thailand for vacation/diving. On Fri. Jan. 22, we fly from Taipei, get to BKK at 11pm. Next day we fly out 18:15 BKK to Phuket on TG. We can spend the day Sat. Jan. 23 to tour Grand Palace / Wat Pho and maybe a bit more, before heading to BKK.

Should we get a hotel near the Grand Palace? Or just any good hotel not too far, that we can easily get a taxi? e.g. a nice hotel by the river.

First time to Thailand. We have points from IHG, Marriott, BW, and also Gold status from Hilton. But any decent hotel good for a 1-night stay would be fine, if breakfast included would be a bonus.

TIA.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Millenium Hilton isn't a million miles away, is pretty nice, and as a Gold HH member you should get free breakfast.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Millenium Hilton looks like a nice riverfront hotel, at the higher end.

Saw that Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam is only 15k points.

There also seem to be a lot of inexpensive hotels. For example Baan Wanglang Riverside. Small and have good reviews.

Thinking..
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

As a followup, we ended up staying at the Baan Wanglang Riverside hotel. The taxi ride from BKK didn't take long, as there wasn't much traffic late at night. The taxi driver did have to call the hotel twice to get there, as the hotel was inside laneways.

Hotel was nice, room clean and AC worked well. I forgot to bring electric adaptor/convertor, but fortunately the hotel had a couple receptacles that also took in the 110v plug. Wifi worked, a bit slow, but I was able to book an elephant trekking/bath trip in Khao Lak for the next day.

Breakfast was decent, but was running out of stuff as we entered at 9am (finished at 10am). Can order omlete, but it took some time.

After check out, we walked in a laneway and saw a lot of local Thai stands selling food, fruits, and other stuff. Then took the water taxi for only 3 thb/p, one stop across the river. From there we walked to the Grand Palace.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My instinct in your situation would have been to book a hotel that guarantees me a late checkout for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.