Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Introduction of Advance Passenger Processing System [APPS]

Introduction of Advance Passenger Processing System [APPS]

Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Pleb
Exclamation Introduction of Advance Passenger Processing System [APPS]

Mr Nitinai Sirismatthakarn, President of Airport of Thailand Plc (AoT), said that as from the 1 December 2015 six airports within Thailand (Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Mae Fa Luang in Chiang Rai) will start using an Advance Passenger Processing System [APPS] to boost security through thorough screening of all passengers both in and outbound. The APPS will then be gradually introduced at 32 other airports within Thailand.

The APPS will enable Thai authorities to access information such as whether a passenger is blacklisted or banned from entering or leaving any country.

Mr Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said that an additional 35 Baht fee would be added to the ticket price. He also said that screening of all passenger profiles may lead to longer boarding times and he also urged passengers to be patient with the extra-tight security measures, including the cancellation of all types of fast passes .

It should be noted that APPS was going to be introduced in 2003, then 2005, 2007 and 2008 but no reasons were ever given as to why it was never introduced . Will it happen this time

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...s-go-high-tech
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:02 am

Anyone travelling through BKK in the first week of December to see what happens, if anthing, with fast track?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by ft101
Anyone travelling through BKK in the first week of December to see what happens, if anthing, with fast track?
Fast track? It is extra security measures. I sounds as though it will be slowing things down.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Fast track? It is extra security measures. I sounds as though it will be slowing things down.
From the OP.

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
<snip> and he also urged passengers to be patient with the extra-tight security measures, including the cancellation of all types of fast passes<snip>

bolding mine.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: The Embassy
If it'll inconvenience rich Thais, it ain't gonna happen.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
Sadly, returning from BKK on 2 December

*A gold, but only flying TG in coach.

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Not going to help those of us without Fast Track (wonder if I can find a pass I didn't use over a year ago).
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't see how FastTrack would be impacted at all?

FastTrack (arriving/departing Immigration) is really just a physical "location" thing - with limited access; airline systems and Immigration systems would be interfaced hopefully to keep out the thousands of criminals who end up in Thailand every month?

edited to add: Departing FastTrack does entail a separate "security" screening point; maybe they plan to eliminate that (not sure about crew/workers) and push everyone through the primary security screening area on level 5? Which means issues routing FastTrack (departing) folks through specific Immigration desks (back down on level 4) AFTER security?

Last edited by transpac; Nov 22, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The big issue: When terror spreads its wings

The first time Airports of Thailand announced a spiffy new security system, the top song was Change Clothes by the exciting new rapper Jay-Z. George W Bush was not only US president, but he was in Bangkok,...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/o...eads-its-wings
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
Mr Nitinai Sirismatthakarn, President of Airport of Thailand Plc (AoT), said that as from the 1 December 2015 six airports within Thailand (Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Mae Fa Luang in Chiang Rai) will start using an Advance Passenger Processing System [APPS] to boost security through thorough screening of all passengers both in and outbound. The APPS will then be gradually introduced at 32 other airports within Thailand.

The APPS will enable Thai authorities to access information such as whether a passenger is blacklisted or banned from entering or leaving any country.

Mr Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said that an additional 35 Baht fee would be added to the ticket price. He also said that screening of all passenger profiles may lead to longer boarding times and he also urged passengers to be patient with the extra-tight security measures, including the cancellation of all types of fast passes .

It should be noted that APPS was going to be introduced in 2003, then 2005, 2007 and 2008 but no reasons were ever given as to why it was never introduced . Will it happen this time

All types of fast passes? I'm assuming this means the elite passes to shorter immigration lines, in and out?

Oh, joy!!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:52 am

Am I the only one who finds it hard to believe that this will be ready to implement and actally start within the next eight days?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
As mentioned elsewhere, it'll also cost AoT a lot of money, which also makes it unlikely.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 11277m
Am I the only one who finds it hard to believe that this will be ready to implement and actally start within the next eight days?
I think they announced this, most recently, in August, 2015, and had airlines start collecting the 35 baht fee as of 1 Sep 2015.

The recent impetus - as was mentioned up-thread this has been "proposed" many, many times before - may be a result of the FAA audits, or it may just be that they're sick of attracting all the criminals. Nary a day goes by here when some foreign criminal isn't arrested, and more infrequently that the foreign criminal murders a Thai and then does a runner (Mick the Pom).

The PR from this week was probably more to shore up public confidence post Paris? One of the Paris bombers was in Phuket not so long before the attack. And they just shipped some more Chinese 'refugees' back, again, so things are a bit tense.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
I've got to agree with a few of the other names I've come to respect here on the Thai threads... This will be back end software that does not affect the physical location of the fast-pass immigration lane. Seriously, I doubt they'll remove the fast-pass system from BKK as this is a cash-cow for the AOT.

I'll let you know on the 4th, the next time I depart BKK.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by transpac
I think they announced this, most recently, in August, 2015, and had airlines start collecting the 35 baht fee as of 1 Sep 2015.
I wasn't aware of that, so the money is already rolling in! Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:29 pm

1st December now in BKK.

Any reports on whether Fast Track lines are operating or not?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.