Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long stay deal in Thailand - need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
There are several IHG properties in BKK and most of them are already not especially expensive.

For a stay that long I would probably look at serviced apartments as you get more space, access to laundry, and more of a home feeling. If their monthly rates seem to much you can always contact them directly and negotiate. It will be high season, but there's such a glut of hotels and apartments that my guess is you have some leverage.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ninakay
Hi all my name is Nina im new to your forum and would like to pick the brains of all you intelligent people.

Ok im of the thailand for a month 09/12/15-11-01-16 would really like to just chill in 1 place and not keep moving.
I am an IHG Employee so can get discount for hotels but as you may all know can only stay 7 nights.
Does any one know any loophole round this.

Or any discount codes or special deals regarding any hotel besides IHG were i can get heavily discounted for a long term stay.

Iknow what your all thinking peak time and all that but any suggestions greatly received.
What do you call "heavily discounted"? What kind of price range are you looking for?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Serviced apartments offer some reasonable prices for a monthly stay.

There are some great places on AirBNB, with weekly and monthly discounts. A friend recently used this option and he had a great 1 BR condo, steps from the subway (in Bangkok) for well under 1,000 THB/night. Awesome internet, cable TV, full kitchen, pool, laundry (combo machine in apt., huge laundry room in common area), gym.

It might help if you could say where in Thailand you wanted to stay, and if multiple locations then add that info-although you make mention of staying in one place, and some sort of budget guidelines might help as well?

Your timetable seems to be greater than 30 days (33 days?) so you'll have to extend an Exemption, or pay the overstay fine, assuming you don't have a 60 day Tourist Visa.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:55 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by transpac
There are some great places on AirBNB, with weekly and monthly discounts. A friend recently used this option and he had a great 1 BR condo, steps from the subway (in Bangkok) for well under 1,000 THB/night. Awesome internet, cable TV, full kitchen, pool, laundry (combo machine in apt., huge laundry room in common area), gym.
Great idea!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:41 am

2nding transpac with Airbnb. Monthy rates come way down. I got a new 1BD w/a pool & gym in Thonglor for $650 a year ago. There's lots available up between Ekkamai & On Nut. They kinda overbuilt upper Sukhumvit. Just make sure you're near a BTS station.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:12 pm

Grande Centrepoint (next to Rachatdamri BTS)is a service hotel with one bedroom (2 and 3 also) room/apt includes full service kitchen, wash/dryer, separate bedroom and good LR/DR combo with good gym and buffet breakfast.

Another slightly pricier option is Oriental Residence (nearby to BTS), on Wireless Rd. Slightly more upscale but includes identical facilities.

My wife and I have stayed in both - individually and together -- and highly recommended for single woman.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Well, ninakay has not been back, but we have 2 separate 1 month stays booked at Citadines serviced apartments on soi 11 coming up. $1166 per month for a nice 1 bedroom apt w/kitchen etc. in a great area. We stayed there last year for 6 weeks and loved it. Location is everything for us, but better options are available farther from the action.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by ninakay
I am an IHG Employee so can get discount for hotels but as you may all know can only stay 7 nights. Does any one know any loophole round this.
The Intercontinental and Holiday Inn are next to each other. Could you bring yourself to walk 50m between them every 7 days? Would they let you book that?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dtsm
Grande Centrepoint (next to Rachatdamri BTS)is a service hotel with one bedroom (2 and 3 also) room/apt includes full service kitchen, wash/dryer, separate bedroom and good LR/DR combo with good gym and buffet breakfast.

Another slightly pricier option is Oriental Residence (nearby to BTS), on Wireless Rd. Slightly more upscale but includes identical facilities.

My wife and I have stayed in both - individually and together -- and highly recommended for single woman.
Originally Posted by braslvr
Well, ninakay has not been back, but we have 2 separate 1 month stays booked at Citadines serviced apartments on soi 11 coming up. $1166 per month for a nice 1 bedroom apt w/kitchen etc. in a great area. We stayed there last year for 6 weeks and loved it. Location is everything for us, but better options are available farther from the action.
I'm more of a dtsm sort of person, I guess. I'm willing to pay more for a higher level of service and a good location. MEA is around $90/night for a 2 bedroom near Lumpini Park. (for a long stay. Significantly higher for short stays.)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I'm more of a dtsm sort of person, I guess. I'm willing to pay more for a higher level of service and a good location. MEA is around $90/night for a 2 bedroom near Lumpini Park. (for a long stay. Significantly higher for short stays.)
That's why there are all different levels of service available.
We really don't need or use a whole lot of "service" though. Sparkling clean large room, quiet A/C, 24 Hr front desk, housekeeping 3 days a week, security, nice staff, and prime location. Anything more than that could cut into our vacation budget.

When I was working overseas, I needed a tad more, but not much.

PS, I have spent many weeks staying near Lumpini on Lang Suang when working, and while very nice and quiet, it is not a prime location for nightlife.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
That's why there are all different levels of service available.
We really don't need or use a whole lot of "service" though. Sparkling clean large room, quiet A/C, 24 Hr front desk, housekeeping 3 days a week, security, nice staff, and prime location. Anything more than that could cut into our vacation budget.

When I was working overseas, I needed a tad more, but not much.

PS, I have spent many weeks staying near Lumpini on Lang Suang when working, and while very nice and quiet, it is not a prime location for nightlife.
Not a prime location? Kind of an understatement. I've had to get to JWM on Suk Soi 2 several times in the evening for meetings or conferences. Getting a taxi on Lang Suan in the evening to go to Sukhumvit is nearly impossible. I've waited over half an hour for the first taxi to come along only to have him turn me down.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Not a prime location? Kind of an understatement. I've had to get to JWM on Suk Soi 2 several times in the evening for meetings or conferences. Getting a taxi on Lang Suan in the evening to go to Sukhumvit is nearly impossible. I've waited over half an hour for the first taxi to come along only to have him turn me down.
I used to have to do the same thing often. I usually walked. ~15 minutes from Centerpoint to JWM if I recall. Returning was easy.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:30 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

A friend and I would like to rent an apartment/serviced apartment/room that isn't airbnb (haven't had a good experience with airbnb yet) in Bangkok for roughly three weeks. Anywhere near a BTS station would be fine, budget would be around 17000 baht total for the three weeks.

Oh right, this would be roughly from 20DEC 2015 - 10JAN 2016. Am not planning to be in Bangkok until 20DEC.

Thanks,
BmB
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
A friend and I would like to rent an apartment/serviced apartment/room that isn't airbnb (haven't had a good experience with airbnb yet) in Bangkok for roughly three weeks. Anywhere near a BTS station would be fine, budget would be around 17000 baht total for the three weeks.

Oh right, this would be roughly from 20DEC 2015 - 10JAN 2016. Am not planning to be in Bangkok until 20DEC.

Thanks,
BmB
That's going to be tough during that time frame - $20 usd per night doesn't go that far - even in BKK..... Thst being said I see deals from time to time for small places they would fit your budget - but the issue is not over New Years.... There are some decent threads here - have you researched them? Either way hope you figure it out - maybe I will see you on NYE wandering around Ratchaprasong!

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Nov 27, 2015 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's going to be tough during that time frame...

Not only that, given the recent crackdown on foreigners' "lodgings", many places that were more apartments/condos but that rented rooms on a longer-term basis have now been restricted from this practice. Every foreigner must be reported every day/night, and while this "rule" has been in place forever, it is being enforced as a result of the Erawan bombers.

So the combination of high season and limited inventory means rates are a bit higher than normal. Budget hotels are probably full with package tourists.

Have you had a bad experience with AirBNB in Bangkok?

I doubt you're going to find anything decent for 750 baht/night? Even nice AirBNB 1 BR places are ~ 850 ish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.