Wiki Posts
Search

BKK International to Domestic Transfer

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by spycygrl
I have a question regarding an upcoming flight that would be booked from HEL via Finnair into BKK and then onto USM. All segments booked thru Finnair, but the BKK-USM segment is codeshare on Bangkok Airways.

I would be International Biz on Finnair to Domestic Biz on Bangkok Airways for the BKK-USM segment.
The travel agent has recommended booking me on a 2 hour layover in BKK, but I've heard horror stories about transfers at the BKK airport. I was planning on checking a bag since I'm traveling for a wedding (not mine).

Does anyone know if Finnair can check my bag all the way thru (since all segments would be purchased through them -- even though final segment is on partner)? Or because I'm going on to another Thai destination, is that not allowed?
Do I need to do any kind of customs/border control since I would be transferring on to the domestic terminal, most likely?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If this is all on one ticket (which it appears to be) then there should be no problem having your bags sent all the way to USM in which case you'd just need to pass through domestic transfer security at the A/B/C/D concourse confluence. Then, at USM, pick up your bag and go through customs. Also, as this is one ticket then you have no worries about missing the connection should the inbound be delayed because you'll be put on the next flight. On the other hand, should you pick a longer connection and get in earlier PG will not let you move up to a different flight.

SWIW, the PG domestic Blue Ribbon Lounge does have a shower though I've never used it.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:55 pm

I have a somewhat opposite question I arrive on a late night/early morning international flight (2AM) and depart late morning (9AM) on Thai airways to CNX.
​​​​​​​Is there a way for me to stay in the international transit area for a while (to catch some sleep at one of the lounges) before heading out through immigration?
Or is there only one way out through immigration on international arrival?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by br2k
I have a somewhat opposite question I arrive on a late night/early morning international flight (2AM) and depart late morning (9AM) on Thai airways to CNX.
​​​​​​​Is there a way for me to stay in the international transit area for a while (to catch some sleep at one of the lounges) before heading out through immigration?
Or is there only one way out through immigration on international arrival?
I think you are out of luck. You will not be able to enter the international departure area without an international departure BP. You will go through the transit desk and immigration to enter the domestic terminal. There is a TG domestic lounge there, which is modest, and is closed at night. (It opens at 5 am,) BTW TG offers several flights a day BKK-CNX. The first flight is usually 8 am.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I think you are out of luck. You will not be able to enter the international departure area without an international departure BP. You will go through the transit desk and immigration to enter the domestic terminal. There is a TG domestic lounge there, which is modest, and is closed at night. (It opens at 5 am,) BTW TG offers several flights a day BKK-CNX. The first flight is usually 8 am.
This would be spot on if the domestic terminal was open but as OP will be arriving at 2AM, and the area closed, they will have no choice but to head street-side unless deciding to wait until 5AM when transit desks/transfer immi open.

Then there's the question of bags. I haven't picked up international bags at CNX in some time but there was always a very long wait when I did. In some cases, like this, it could be preferable to pick up bags in BKK and recheck once the counters open at 5.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
This would be spot on if the domestic terminal was open but as OP will be arriving at 2AM, and the area closed, they will have no choice but to head street-side unless deciding to wait until 5AM when transit desks/transfer immi open.

Then there's the question of bags. I haven't picked up international bags at CNX in some time but there was always a very long wait when I did. In some cases, like this, it could be preferable to pick up bags in BKK and recheck once the counters open at 5.
dsquared37 - Thank you for your clarification. I did not know that the transit desk international -> domestic closed at nights. I have never arrived at 2 am! But I did do SYD-BKK-CNX once, and there was no excessive wait for the bags at the international side of CNX. However I agree with you, the OP might well wish to go through immigration in BKK, and pick up his luggage at BKK. He certainly has enough time.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:29 am

I have no checked bags, so that's a non-issue. However, it really sounds like the only way is outside. Not ideal.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by br2k
I have no checked bags, so that's a non-issue. However, it really sounds like the only way is outside. Not ideal.
You won't be alone. There will be a few hundred other people overnighting landside (there are at least that many air-side overnight on intl-intl connections), along with the usual cast of characters. You could opt for a nearby budget hotel, which would at least afford the opportunity to take a shower, change clothes, maybe grab something to eat, and maybe snooze for an hour or two. There are some eateries within the main passenger terminal building which may be open 7x24, landside on level 3, and a local style prepaid food court down on level 1. The good news is that the domestic flight the next morning is relatively stress-free re: check-in and security. No dealing with immigration, obviously, so assuming OLCI/kiosk and no checked bags, you could leave for the airport at 07:00 ~ 07:30, assuming you're staying in nearby Lat Krabang.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:13 am

I have a Finnair flight from HEL-BKK and a TG flight from BKK-CNX (separate ticket). Will have hand lugguage only.
Question 1) Can I proceed to the domestic transfer area, rather than the usual landside immigration exit?
Question 2) My TG flight leaves around 3 hours later, but there is another which departs 1.5 hours earlier. I have a flexible ticket with TG, is it easy to change to the earlier flight at the transfer area, assuming all goes to plan?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
I have a Finnair flight from HEL-BKK and a TG flight from BKK-CNX (separate ticket). Will have hand lugguage only.
Question 1) Can I proceed to the domestic transfer area, rather than the usual landside immigration exit?
Question 2) My TG flight leaves around 3 hours later, but there is another which departs 1.5 hours earlier. I have a flexible ticket with TG, is it easy to change to the earlier flight at the transfer area, assuming all goes to plan?
1) Yes.
2) Are you sure you have a flexible ticket which allows changes? I am not sure the Thai transfer desk can do this. Also, is the earlier flight TG or WE (Thai Smile)? Thai Smile is a separate airline. Good luck.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
1) Yes.
2) Are you sure you have a flexible ticket which allows changes? I am not sure the Thai transfer desk can do this. Also, is the earlier flight TG or WE (Thai Smile)? Thai Smile is a separate airline. Good luck.
Yes I have a fully flexible J ticket on TG for the BKK-CNX leg. Where would be the best place to change it if I arrive early?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Yes I have a fully flexible J ticket on TG for the BKK-CNX leg. Where would be the best place to change it if I arrive early?
I would try the transfer desk first. If not then go through mid-field immigration and try the lounge, though I'll admit even getting a seat change there was not easy a few years ago. Failing that backtrack to the domestic ticket counter by going through the baggage claim area - which is an easy task as you'll already be stamped into the kingdom.

Or you can just go direct to the TG ticket office on the 4th floor by clearing regular immigration and heading upstairs.

Or, if you have a working SIM car, just call once you're off the plane.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just double checking for a similar situation to the poster above, except I am on Bangkok Airways. I am arriving on QR DOH-BKK, then have a flight (separate ticket) on PG from BKK-USM. I am not checking bags. Can I use the midfield transfer and not go out and re-enter?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
Just double checking for a similar situation to the poster above, except I am on Bangkok Airways. I am arriving on QR DOH-BKK, then have a flight (separate ticket) on PG from BKK-USM. I am not checking bags. Can I use the midfield transfer and not go out and re-enter?
I'll answer my own question - yes, this was no issue with Bangkok Airways. The only issue - they do not accept printed or electronic boarding passes at the midfield transfer, so you have to go to the Bangkok Airways counter first to get a boarding pass printed on PG stock before going through immigration and security.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by dcmike
I'll answer my own question - yes, this was no issue with Bangkok Airways. The only issue - they do not accept printed or electronic boarding passes at the midfield transfer, so you have to go to the Bangkok Airways counter first to get a boarding pass printed on PG stock before going through immigration and security.
I've read through this thread and cant get a definitive answer; did you have a mobile BP and they said you need a paper one? Would a home printed one have worked?

I'm thinking of flying into BKK on EK and then connecting to a separate PNR TG flight to HKT [HBO] and would like to use the CIQ/midfield option as it would be a tight connection but would likely have a mobile BP for TG
Old May 31, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Similar question but in reverse.

I'm traveling CNX-DMK-SIN on one ticket. Will I clear immigration at CNX or DMK? I presume CNX but having never flown internationally out of DMK I'm unclear as to whether it's equipped to facilitate the CIQ sticker process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.