Wiki Posts
Search

Planning a two-week trip to Thailand - mid-August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Planning a two-week trip to Thailand - mid-August

Hello everyone!
My wife and I are planning a trip to Thailand in mid-August. We are celebrating our 1st year wedding anniversary, and I’m planning it to be a “second honeymoon”
I’m planning to be there in Mid August (most probably 9-22), the trip will begin and end in Bangkok. I know it’s not a lot of time, that’s why I’m planning to be as efficient as possible. I’ll be using flights to move from one place to another to save time.
My main interests:
- We don’t like crowded cities, we prefer to be in open places, nature, forests and beaches. That’s why I’m not planning to stay in Bangok for many days.
- NOT interested in: temples, night clubs and activities, full moon parties etc…..
- I’m not that interested in spending much time on beaches, but staying in a clean, calm beach is a must and mostly enjoying the scenery
- Adventures and trips –I read about many outdoor activities that can be made in the various parts of Thailand, and we’re very interested in that
I’ve never been in Thailand before, but I travelled quite a lot. I read lots and lots of material, websites, guides, itineraries, and I came up with a preliminary plan for the trip, but I need your expert advices.
The main issue I read about is the weather – I know it’s not the ideal season to travel to Thailand, but we’ll live with that. I understand that we’ll have to be ready to lots of rain, but hopefully, we will have plenty of sunny days too.
I also understand that the north (Chang Mai) will be very rainy, and because of the season, I should avoid the southwest (Phuket, Krabi…) and opt for the better weather in the southest Gulf (Koh samui, Ko Phangan….)
So far, I came up with these 2 itineraries, and I’m more inclined towards the first one because of the weather:

Itinerary 1:
1. Bangkok (3 nights) – arrival, main attractions, traditional markets, shopping. I think it will be enough, as we really don’t like crowded and big cities. I also prefer staying in a more calm part of the city.
Possible accomodations:
o Peninsula
o Chatrium Hotel Riverside
o Banyan Tree
o The Okura

2. Ko Samui (5 nights) – direct flight from Bangkok to save time. Here I’m planning to enjoy the beaches, nature and outdoor activities and trips.
Possible accomodations:
o Lanna Samui
o Code
o Khwan beach resort

3. Ko phangan / Ko Tao (5 nights) – I’m still undecided which island to choose. Here we’re planning to relax, stay in a pool villa, away from the crowded places. I know that Ko Phangan is bigger and has more possibilities, but I’m afraid it will be too crowded. Ko Tao should be calmer, and hotels are cheaper.
Possible accomodations:
o Ko Pangan:
 La divine comedie
 Panviman Koh Phangan
 Kupu Kupu Beach Villas & Spa
o KO Tao
 The Place Luxury Boutique Villas
 The Rocks Villas

Itinerary 2:
1. Bangkok (3 nights)
2. Chiang Mai (5 nights) – I am SURE we will be enjoying the countryside, the villages and the rural areas, and the various activities in Northern Thailand, but I’m afraid of the weather that might ruin the whole stay. So I’m reluctant about it.
3. Ko Samui (5 nights)

Now the questions:
1) What do you think about the itineraries in general? Maybe I’m missing something, maybe I should choose other islands, or stay more on one of them?
OR maybe I should extend my stay in Bangkok and go to kanchanburi for a couple of day?
2) In case I chose the 1st itinerary, should I stay in Ko Phangan or Ko Tao?
3) Should I opt for the safer 1st itinerary, or should I still go for the 2nd one and not miss Northern Thailand
4) Hotels- how are the ones I’m considering? Are there any others recommended, still with reasonable price?
5) Ko Samui/KoTao back to Bangkok – My flight back home will be from Bangkok in the morning (~9:00AM). How should I plan my way back from the southern islands by flight? When I should be heading back from the islands to be in Bangkok airport in a safe time frame?
6) Keeping Bangkok to the end – some suggested to head directly to the islands, and come back in the end to Bangkok before travelling back home. What do you think? I’m not planning to buy a lot in Bangkok, and I’d like to finish the trip in the quiet islands instead of Bangkok.

Any advice, suggestions or idea will be gladly welcome, so we can enjoy the trip as much as possible 
Thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: most of them
I've not been there in August so I can't say much about the weather. Other than apparently the country is going through a pretty bad drought at the moment according to what I was reading the other day.

Thailand has lots of national parks with nice scenery. I've been to a couple of them including Khao Yai. There are some nice resorts in the area there.

There are also some parks up around Sukhothai and Phitsanulok. I visited one that had some nice relatively easy hikes and some unusual geological features. I'd have to see if I could dig up the name. And as you mention Chiang Mai and the north have some places worth visiting.

If you aren't interested in beach activities I'm not sure I understand why visiting a beach is a "must". But I am not a beach person really at all.

Haven't been to any of the islands other than Phuket when I was trying to escape the airport shutdown a few years ago. So I am can't help there. :-) I really liked the north. 10 days at the beach doesn't sound fun to me.

I love big cities so I love the chaos of Bangkok. Not sure there really is a "quiet" part of it although I suppose some areas are quieter than others. For me the energy is the whole point of being there though. I would probably stay there at the end just to make getting to the airport easy for your flight out.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:05 pm

I'll suggest for Bangkok,

Thai massage at Wat Po.
Golden Mount.

You're going during the low season, so crowds at popular tourist areas will be minimal.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

ello everyone and thanks for the replies!
After lots of asking and reading, I decided to chose this itinerary:
1) Chiang Mai (4 nights) - I decided to begin with it by directly taking a flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.
2) Ko Samui (7 nights) - I don't think it's wise to travel to a 4th destination, I will make cruises to Ko Phangan or Ko Tao from Samui.
3) Bangkok (3 nights) - this way I can catch the early flight, so I thought to keep it as a last step before heading back home.

Regarding accomodations, these are the hotels and resorts I'm considering:
1) Chiang Mai:
- Ratilanna Riverside
- Veranda High resort
- Panviman Spa resort - a bit far from the city, but it might be great to indulge in nature.

2) Ko Samui
- Infinity Residences & Resort - it's far from the beach, but I really prefer a great view with better rooms than being close to the beach.
- Fair House Villas & Spa
- The Tongsai Bay - a bit over my budget, but it has great reviews and probably on the best beach

3) Bangkok
- Okura Prestige
- The Peninsula
- Oriental Residence

Now some questions:
1) What do you think about the itinerary in general?
2) Do you think I should visit another island instead of 6 nights only in Koh Samui, or should I chose a second island for a few nights like Ko Phangan and Ko Tao?
3) What is the best way to book the internal flights in Thailand for best prices? Should I book in advance everything if I have a specific plan?

Any suggestion or help regarding my trip would be grateful!

Thanks again!

Last edited by ItaliAlfa; Jul 23, 2015 at 10:12 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Just got back from Thailand and the drought meant you didn't get the usual daily downpour to cool things down. Very muggy (could get drenched in sweat quickly).

Usually around August you get an intense downpour of 20 minutes or so around 5-7 p.m. and overcast a lot of the rest of the time, though some days can be sunny.

The north and northeast are rainier and more humid typically in August than Bangkok, but you can still make a go of it to places like Wat Doi Suthep and do OK.

Samui is the right side of the isthmus to be on weather-wise for the time of year, but it's gotten way too developed for my tastes. Went there in 1995 (when Bangkok Airways had "only" 3 daily flights or you flew Thai to Surat Thani) and it was nice...I even could rent a motorbike and go around the island. Today it is far, far more built up...even the difference between 1995 and 1998 was noticeable. You can always coccoon in a 5-star place, but it doesn't have the lightly trodden quality it did. I liked the Perhentians in Malaysia better for that.

These days those in search of places that were more like Phuket in 1980 or Samui in 1990 go further afield, likely to islands in Trat or Trang provinces, which haven't been opened as long. Though Ko Chang and Ko Lanta are catching up. The discouraging thing about Thailand is they always "lose" places to rampant development, even if they're national parks.

I used to be a bit like the DiCaprio character in "The Beach" and try to find the perfect spot, but in recent years I've focused those efforts in other countries that don't get the tourism numbers like Thailand, so I can't personally comment on the newer ones.

Also, while August isn't as crowded as December or February, it IS European vacation season, and just this year the numbers of visitors from China are noticeably way, way up. So you'll definitely have company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.