Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Bangkok Bars

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
Favorite Bangkok Bars

Several years ago, I lifted my head from the table, looked around Wong’s at 4am and came to the sad conclusion I had aged out of the place; I needed something a bit more raffinée. I finally settled on the original Hanakaruta on Sukhumvit 39 because of its exceptional bartender, Nori, who makes what I consider to be the best cocktails in town. One day last year I arrived to find that he was no longer working there and I’ve not been back.

On Friday, I read that he had opened his own bar and wasted no time in checking it out. On the third floor of a nondescript building just off Sukhumvit 47, Nori's Bar http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/ba...club/noris-bar is my idea of bar heaven. I started with a few Earl Grey tea mojitos, followed by some perfectly mixed Yamazaki and sodas, served in a chilled metal cup, and then moved onto Sapporo for the rest of the night. I was so happy to see Nori again, I stayed chatting with him until closing time, which is flexible but not before 4am.

Having run up a rather large tab on Friday (the bar doesn’t yet take cards and I was low on cash), I went back on Saturday night to pay the balance. I leave the cocktail choices in Nori’s hands, and started with some dark rum on the rocks, served with two frozen strawberries on a metal toothpick, then moved on to his homemade shochu, before ending with more whisky and sodas. Another perfect night.

Nori’s isn’t for everyone, especially those who are drawn to places like Ku De Ta and Maggie Choo’s. It’s simply decorated, doesn’t open until 8pm, there’s just a small menu of Japanese bar snacks (heavy on the horse meat), unusual jazz on the sound system and a small but friendly local crowd who, like me, are just discovering it. If you go, it isn’t easy to find, you need to be buzzed into the building and walk up three floors….so best to call Nori when you are nearby and he will meet you at the door.

Obviously, Nori’s is my new favorite place to drink in Bangkok….what’s yours?
Old May 6, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
All right. At the risk of having folks judge me by my choice of drink venues I'll contribute to this thread. The problem with most mixed cocktails in Bangkok is that they're made to Thai taste: very sweet. Finding a place that'll pour an honest Old Fashioned or Sazerac feels greater than finding the prize at the bottom of a family-sized box of cereal - it's that good. I enjoy wine and Mrs. Dirty will partake in anything which is creative and has passion put into it (a 25 years old scotch is usually classified as "passion"):

Long Table was my first "non backpacker/street food" experience in BKK and I still go there occasionally. I enjoy being in the skyline and watching the sunset while sitting outside.

Above Eleven (Sukhumvit Soi 11) is a great view of the skyline, mixes a nice drink (if ordered without syrup) and is one of our favourites - the price is really decent too.

Eat Me (in Silom) has both nice wine and cocktails... the bacon bloody mary was (were all) outstanding.

And finally Iron Fairies on Thong Lor because they have interesting cocktails (absinthe based) and the music tends to be decent (avoid the food).

Always open to new experiences.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:34 pm

We prefer the bars in Nana
Old May 20, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Deleted.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
We prefer the bars in Nana
....Or 2nd floor Patpong
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
....Or 2nd floor Patpong
We will occassionally hit street level bars in Patpong, but even the wife knows better than hitting 2nd floor bars....not our 1st rodeo
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I always enjoy the Pickled Liver at the far end of Sukhumvit soi 7/1, on the righthand side. You have to pass some rather sleazy places to get there, but the PL is a pleasant place for a cold beer and simple food. Nick, the owner, is a very nice British guy. Always friendly. Have known him now for about 10 years, maybe more.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: The Embassy
Namsaah Bottling Trust do some mean cocktails, excellent venue too...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sim510
I always enjoy the Pickled Liver at the far end of Sukhumvit soi 7/1, on the righthand side. You have to pass some rather sleazy places to get there, but the PL is a pleasant place for a cold beer and simple food. Nick, the owner, is a very nice British guy. Always friendly. Have known him now for about 10 years, maybe more.
^^ for The Pickled Liver!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:25 pm

I miss the old smelly dumps of Washington Sq.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: SPG, Etihad Guest, EK Skyawards, Thai ROP, MR Silver
Whenever I am in BKK (once a month normally) I always visit Roadhouse Barbecue which is next to the Jim Thompson shop in Silom.

Recently I have also started visiting Wishbeer Home Bar which is situated at The Lofts Ekkamai. Super range of bottled and on tap beers from all over the world. Not the cheapest by any means but I find that a glass of Punk IPA is much more rewarding than the usual Singha, Leo, Heineken etc.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:17 am

One of my favourites is Ginza Food & Drink off Ratchada soi 3, near Fortune Town (not to be confused with Ginza Bar on Udom Suk).

Off the tourist trail, so few farang (and better for it), great Thai and Japanese food at very reasonable prices, and a large Leo costs 80 baht. Light live music most evenings, and open until 3-ish. Also great for watching Premier League football in season.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Suggestions for places to try some local thai beers?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by njxbean
Suggestions for places to try some local thai beers?
There's Singha, Leo and Chang. You can get them anywhere.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:32 pm

Thai beer sucks. It's on the level of Bud or Miller. Tanwandaeng is a little better and a lot of fun. Mikkeller in Ekkamai makes pretty decent stuff. I've been to six on the list here: http://www.10best.com/destinations/t...ife/brew-pubs/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.