Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proof of Funds?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Proof of Funds?

What qualifies as proof of funds for people entering under the visa exemption (such as from the USA)? There doesn't seem to be a thread or discussion on this.

Answers I'm not looking for include "Don't worry about it" and "Well I've never been asked to show proof of funds". Unless I am misunderstanding the rule as written, in which case being told not to worry about it would be fine.

And also, while I'm at it, are there any other oddball requirements for getting into/out of/around this country that I'd never think of but am not aware of? So far I have proof of onward travel, proof of funds, and original credit card used to purchase domestic airfare...what other curveballs are out there?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
You will never be asked to prove funds, but if you are, the credit card is enough. It's only 10,000 THB (~$300US). If you're nervous, carry cash.

But unless you look like a homeless person who just left the street, you won't be asked.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by arlflyer
What qualifies as proof of funds for people entering under the visa exemption (such as from the USA)? There doesn't seem to be a thread or discussion on this.

Answers I'm not looking for include "Don't worry about it" and "Well I've never been asked to show proof of funds". Unless I am misunderstanding the rule as written, in which case being told not to worry about it would be fine.

And also, while I'm at it, are there any other oddball requirements for getting into/out of/around this country that I'd never think of but am not aware of? So far I have proof of onward travel, proof of funds, and original credit card used to purchase domestic airfare...what other curveballs are out there?
There's no thread or discussion because no one is ever asked to show proof of funds (oh, sorry, you didn't want to hear that.) It isn't an "oddball requirement" nor is it a "curveball". While it may technically be a rule somewhere in the written immigration minutiae, it isn't enforced.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has the OP checked passport expiration requirements, if that could be considered an oddball rule?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer

BTW, for visa free entry, "proof of onward travel" means by air. Reservations for land travel don't qualify. And that will be checked, by the airline before you come to Thailand.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You will never be asked to prove funds, but if you are, the credit card is enough. It's only 10,000 THB (~$300US). If you're nervous, carry cash.
That's fine, and if it came down to it I'd certainly carry cash. But, I don't usually walk around with much more than $20 anyhow, and getting cash before arrival means a ripoff at Travelex as opposed to easy fee-free ATM withdrawals. So I just wanted to know if I absolutely had to do it or not.

But unless you look like a homeless person who just left the street, you won't be asked.
It seems like a lot of formerly unenforced rules have been changing lately, so I just want to err on the side of caution.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It isn't an "oddball requirement" nor is it a "curveball". While it may technically be a rule somewhere in the written immigration minutiae, it isn't enforced.
Sorry you didn't like my choice of colloquialisms. But no, whether or not I'll need a wad of cash to get into the place isn't something I usually have to consider when visiting a country.

And for the record, maybe you consider this a "minutiae", but here is the link to the page on the official Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site that very clearly states the requirement - but doesn't clearly state what satisfies it, hence my question: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/service...Exemption.html

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has the OP checked passport expiration requirements, if that could be considered an oddball rule?
Thanks, all set there!

BTW, for visa free entry, "proof of onward travel" means by air. Reservations for land travel don't qualify. And that will be checked, by the airline before you come to Thailand.
Understood (thanks to the presence of several good threads on this), and I will have printouts of all itineraries with ticket #s, routings, pax names, etc.

Apologies if this thread came off as needlessly paranoid or whatnot, but as someone who has been watching the current events from the outside in and planning a trip that is now upcoming, it look to me that over the last few months the times have been a-changin' over there, and what may have once indeed been a piece of "immigration minutiae" may the next day become a hard-and-fast go/no-go. It seems that quite a few formerly lax rules have been tightened up lately, and I'd rather be safe than sorry!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Thai MFA site says:

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

so I assume that if/when asked you would have to show this amount, or the equivalent in some other currency?

People do get asked.

You can grind through the TV forum for experiences.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...when-entering/

Other oddball requirements? Too many to list, and they change daily. If you are Rohingya arriving by boat you may experience different oddball requirements. "Push 'em back, push 'em back, way back".
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
I assume that if/when asked you would have to show this amount, or the equivalent in some other currency?

People do get asked.

You can grind through the TV forum for experiences.
TV thread seems somewhat inconclusive, or beyond the scope of an honest 2-week holiday air traveler - most of the discussion seems to be around visa runs, land transfers, etc. But, I'll do some more digging.

Other oddball requirements? Too many to list, and they change daily. If you are Rohingya arriving by boat you may experience different oddball requirements. "Push 'em back, push 'em back, way back".
Heh, thanks for the honest answer.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TV thread seems somewhat inconclusive, or beyond the scope of an honest 2-week holiday air traveler

Well, to be fair, you did say...

Answers I'm not looking for include "Don't worry about it" and "Well I've never been asked to show proof of funds".

so if you are "an honest 2-week holiday air traveler", then my advice would be to not worry about it, as you will NOT be asked to display the requisite funds.

If you want to plan for every contingency, have the cash on hand, although you will not be asked for it.

Seems simple enough?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

if you are "an honest 2-week holiday air traveler", then my advice would be to not worry about it, as you will NOT be asked to display the requisite funds.

If you want to plan for every contingency, have the cash on hand, although you will not be asked for it.

Seems simple enough?
Sure, sounds good. Up front, I was simply asking if anyone knew of an official published interpretation or more specific detail regarding the requirement (such as in statute, regulations, etc...). Seeing that this appears to be absent from official sources, then the best available information does seem to be of the anecdotal sort, so I'll assess my tolerance for risk at the time of departure and decide from there, barring any overt policy changes in the meantime.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

or more specific detail regarding the requirement (such as in statute, regulations, etc...). Seeing that this appears to be absent from official sources, then the best available information does seem to be of the anecdotal sort

Well it is absolutely an 'official' Thai government (MFA) requirement, which can be enforced. I carry a local Thai Bangkok Bank savings account book with me, just in case, even though I have never had to use it. I never have 10,000 baht, or the equivalent in cash, on me.

Are you looking for published details in Thai? Or is English OK?

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/service...Exemption.html

- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-...941#ad-image-0

During the recent crackdown ( May-ish to September-ish) a colleague flying into BKK for the first time in 6 months, did meet with a few challenges including having to show cash. However, that is but one anecdotal data point, and the desperation for tourists seems to have pivoted back to the traditional laissez-faire attitude.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).
Glad I didn't know about that rule as until now, as I didn't carry much cash with me on my twice a year trip to BKK (average over last 10 years).

Now that they charge 500 Baht to use an ATM, I do take about $1,000, so if my math is right, I'd be OK in the unlikely event that they asked to see how much cash I have.

There's also a rule that you need to have a forward ticket, and on my first naive trip I had an open jaw IAH-BKK MNL-IAH that I closed by purchasing a ticket in Thailand, yet neither the airline nor Immigration gave it a second thought.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Glad I didn't know about that rule as until now, as I didn't carry much cash with me on my twice a year trip to BKK (average over last 10 years).

Now that they charge 500 Baht to use an ATM, I do take about $1,000, so if my math is right, I'd be OK in the unlikely event that they asked to see how much cash I have.

There's also a rule that you need to have a forward ticket, and on my first naive trip I had an open jaw IAH-BKK MNL-IAH that I closed by purchasing a ticket in Thailand, yet neither the airline nor Immigration gave it a second thought.
The ATM fee is 150 thb not 500 thb.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ATM fee is 150 thb

Yes, for Visa-logoed cards; 180 THB for MC-logoed cards, as of today.

The fee for cashing each travelers check is 153 THB.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Well it is absolutely an 'official' Thai government (MFA) requirement, which can be enforced. I carry a local Thai Bangkok Bank savings account book with me, just in case, even though I have never had to use it. I never have 10,000 baht, or the equivalent in cash, on me.

Are you looking for published details in Thai? Or is English OK?

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/service...Exemption.html

- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).
Yes, I'm aware of this. In fact, I already posted the same link myself. The point of this thread was to clarify what "possession" entailed - whether it was cash in hand, the attribution of said value to one's name (e.g. in a bank account), or the ability to procure the equivalent purchasing power of said funds (e.g. with a credit card). The requirement cited does not have that level of depth.

During the recent crackdown ( May-ish to September-ish) a colleague flying into BKK for the first time in 6 months, did meet with a few challenges including having to show cash. However, that is but one anecdotal data point, and the desperation for tourists seems to have pivoted back to the traditional laissez-faire attitude.
This is useful to know, that a cash requirement has been enforced on a business traveler. Yes, I too would think that they'd not want to be turning away tourists left and right as well, but stranger things have happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.