Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion [2014 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion [2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mkbkk1
I meant I don't eat street food but that makes it sound kinda snotty. Just can't do it. All power to those of you who do^
LOVE street food Practically live on it :-:
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
yeah..caught that afterwards. Only you would bring it up
I meant I don't eat street food but that makes it sound kinda snotty. Just can't do it. All power to those of you who do^
Pretty much live on street food.....
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
It's alright eating Pak Soi if you have the bugs built up in your stomach already however for many on here whom would travel in F and stay in a 5* hotel it may not be advisable as a safety precaution.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
It's alright eating Pak Soi if you have the bugs built up in your stomach already however for many on here whom would travel in F and stay in a 5* hotel it may not be advisable as a safety precaution.
OK help me out here What does Pak Soi mean ? We definitely want to try some of the street food but I'm not sure if you are simply referring to that indeed or a specific plate of food Don't tell me we will get sick
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:16 pm

Well, Google gave me a hint:

Pak soi suan phlu 8
Food Truck
Suan phlu 8, Bangkok, Bangkok

Soi of course is a street that runs from a major road/street, so my first guess was street food, alas don't believe that's it.

And Google Translate didn't help me either, though I may have found a good way to learn pronunciation

So my official guesstimate is food truck / cart
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Pak soi is not the usual term for street food.

Pak is vegetable, as in pak choi or bok choy. Soi is a small street or lane. The commonest word for food is khao.

Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Im not familiar with the term but pak can mean the 'mouth' of a river or soi. I've seen it used more often in Lao where you'll find Pak Se (mouth of the Se river) or Pak Beng etc.

Potentially it was referring to the top of a soi where food carts might well be located.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Soi is a small street or lane. The commonest word for food is khao.
Some of the Sois in Bangkok are pretty darn large @:-)

And Pimsleur Language says that the word for rice, to me it sounds like "cow" is the most common word for food.

Thai is very tough for me, but Pimsleur guided me pretty well in Spanish, a little bit of Portuguese and my brush up on French.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
In Thai Pak Soi means "beginning of the Soi". So beg
of Soi Suan Phlu 8. Food truck.
Try Soi Polo too.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Some of the Sois in Bangkok are pretty darn large @:-)

And Pimsleur Language says that the word for rice, to me it sounds like "cow" is the most common word for food.
Yes, khao/cow... rice... same-same

Soi are "small" as compared to a thanon (road, boulevard)

Interesting about the mouth of a river or top of a soi. Damned transliteration fails to capture so many tonal subtleties, and I've sadly never gotten around to reading Thai. Learned something new today ^
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Pretty much live on street food.....
Me too, except I've given up on Som Tum Pla. I get sick every 4th or 5th time & so does my gf (doesn't keep her from eating it every day though). Those mud crabs they squish up are dirty little buggers.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
"Chalerm expects nightly explosions at PDRC rally sites"
The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...-30226296.html

I have my opinions and theories…thoughts/response anyone??
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:02 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Im not familiar with the term but pak can mean the 'mouth' of a river or soi. I've seen it used more often in Lao where you'll find Pak Se (mouth of the Se river) or Pak Beng etc.

Potentially it was referring to the top of a soi where food carts might well be located.
In Thai Pak Soi means "beginning of the Soi". So beg
of Soi Suan Phlu 8. Food truck.
Try Soi Polo too.
Ding Ding! We have a winner.

The term 'Naa Bak Soi' is a commonly used term for meeting friends and instructions to taxi/tuk tuks, etc. It means the entrance to/front of the Soi.

I laugh at my Thai friends all the time. Why? they ask. I tell them, if you tell a non Thai speakers to meet you 'Bak Soi,' they will go to the back of the soi, not the front! The look at me curiously.....' Really? Why?"

Often, a motorcycle taxi is only 10 THB if you are only riding into or back out of the soi. Helps to know these terms (Bak Soi, Soot Soi, etc) to avoid being expected to pay a different rate.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Bit of Falanguage lesson going on Drong bpey lel lel
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Me too, except I've given up on Som Tum Pla. I get sick every 4th or 5th time & so does my gf (doesn't keep her from eating it every day though). Those mud crabs they squish up are dirty little buggers.
I fiend for good tam bu pa raa and rarely have problems. Don't eat the crab WJ!

Yes, khao/cow... rice... same-same

Soi are "small" as compared to a thanon (road, boulevard)
Mostly though there are exceptions. I'd say Sukhumvit Soi 55 (Thong Lor) is larger than Sukhumvit.

Then there are trok which are generally even smaller though can still be larger than small sois.

Interesting about the mouth of a river or top of a soi. Damned transliteration fails to capture so many tonal subtleties, and I've sadly never gotten around to reading Thai. Learned something new today ^
This was exactly the reason I learned to read Thai. Now if only I'd pay attention and grow my vocabularly from it's dismally low level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.