Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Which market to visit with 6 hours transit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat

hi,

next week arrive in bkk 5pm and fly out is at midnight-would like to
go to one of the markets to have a look at some cheap stuff-any idea which market to go to that is easily accessible from airport?

also is it safe currently?
thanks

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Mar 22, 2014 at 5:35 pm Reason: Re-titled for clarification
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:44 am

If you arrive on time allow an hour for the walk to immigration plus the passport visa check.On your return from shopping trip check in plus immigration again,allow at least 2 hours,that's 3 hours gone if lucky will give you 4 hours for a shopping trip and the journey there and back.
Think your pushing your luck,what kind of cheap stuff are you after?.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:36 am
Original Poster

thats fine for me-football shirts,adidas sports wear etc..
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thats fine for me-football shirts,adidas sports wear etc..
I agree with tg911. You're pushing your luck. That time of night traffic is usually pretty bad. You can take the train but then you've got to connect to taxis to get to any kind of market. And all of those will be in bad traffic.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:55 am
Original Poster

what about Sukhumvit Road

cant i get there by bts
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:02 pm

If you take ARL to Makkasan then the MRT to Sukhumvit you would still be pushing your luck.
Give it ago never brought anything like that before most of the stalls are on the odd side of the road between soi 19 and soi 3.
There is a shop that sells football shirts very close to Nana BTS think its just before soi 9 or soi 7/1 not much in it either way.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

thanks-i know they used to sell a lot in pratanum is this also an option?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

next week arrive in bkk 5pm and fly out is at midnight
What day of the week would this be?

While Pratunam is a center of retail and wholesale RTW clothing outlets, it can be challenging to find exactly what you are looking for, either in one of the newer, indoor malls like Platinum, or in the alleyways of the original market across the street.

MBK, has a ton of shops with what you are looking for, and it is accessible via the BTS, although a tricky connection from the SARL at Phaya Thai to the Suk BTS line to Siam, then the Sil BTS line to National Stadium. Depending on your comfort level, I might take a motorbike taxi from Phaya Thai, after taking the SARL, and return via the same routing. It will give you enough time.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
What day of the week would this be?

While Pratunam is a center of retail and wholesale RTW clothing outlets, it can be challenging to find exactly what you are looking for, either in one of the newer, indoor malls like Platinum, or in the alleyways of the original market across the street.

MBK, has a ton of shops with what you are looking for, and it is accessible via the BTS, although a tricky connection from the SARL at Phaya Thai to the Suk BTS line to Siam, then the Sil BTS line to National Stadium. Depending on your comfort level, I might take a motorbike taxi from Phaya Thai, after taking the SARL, and return via the same routing. It will give you enough time.
MBK is an excellent choice.

2 other things to consider. First, you're assuming that your flight lands on time. That might not be a safe assumption.

Second, how much of this are you going to buy? If you are on a connection and didn't pick up your checked luggage, I'm not sure the airline will let you check another bag in BKK. If that's the case, you may be limited to the number of shirts you can put in your hand carry.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
MBK is an excellent choice.
How late are the market segments of MBK open? I didn't think it stayed open that late, and if their flight gets in at 5pm, it's probably 7 by the time they get to MBK.

Last edited by nkedel; Mar 18, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How late are the market segments of MBK open?
9:00 PM. OP should be fine. Most clothing markets in Pratunam will close about the same time, and various "night-markets" will not have opened.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by transpac
9:00 PM. OP should be fine. Most clothing markets in Pratunam will close about the same time, and various "night-markets" will not have opened.
Got it; later than I had thought.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

thanks all..is down by the nat stadim also a poss for buying football stuff
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks all..is down by the nat stadim also a poss for buying football stuff
Inside MBK, clothing on floors G, 2 & 3. I'm guessing the sort of stuff you are looking for can be found on level 6 .
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:58 am

Only problem with MBK is finding what your looking for,always seems we find what we want by luck rather then remembering where we brought the item last time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.