Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
There are no security issues. None. Perfectly safe to be here. The only thing I'd advise is to simply avoid the protest areas.
Perfectly safe, just don't go to the protest areas where they lob grenades into the crowds.

I would not call that perfectly safe.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by RTW1
If you simply ignore everything that's happening your expectation might be justified. But just as easily you might find a completely different situation.
Simply hoping the current situation might last is a bit naive. Just as assuming the worst might happen is probably a bit pessimistic.
My opinion is based on my experiences there for the last 10 years; I've been there through all the periods of calm and also unrest. Tourists are largely unaffected. Sure, something could happen this time that makes it different, and it is good to keep tabs on what is happening, but as you say, expecting to drop into war zone is a bit dramatic. Not visiting areas of protest is a good idea.

The wiki above has a good Twitter group with on-the-ground news feeds. A friend has been in Bangkok for the past two days and did not change travel plans. She noticed nothing out of the ordinary. She did not visit protest sites. And for those with plans to pass through BKK airport, their chances of encountering anything out of the ordinary are far greater at O'Hare Chicago.

I know that everyone's tolerance for uncertainty is different.

On a lighter note, from RT @travel_snap: This mob certainly aren't respecting the SOE ... causing mayhem on Rama 9 road this evening!

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Jan 22, 2014 at 11:33 am
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
My opinion is based on my experiences there for the last 10 years
Then you should be able to remember 2008 I would think..... There is a bit of history that it doesn't always ends so peacefully.

I just came back from Bangkok a few days ago, yes not much of a problem for tourists even downtown. Even somewhat of a party mood. But I also saw a lot of people I would categorize as thugs and I could easily see it going violent. That's why I think it's sound advice to not go looking for (possible) trouble if you can help it. Especially when on vacation....

Last edited by RTW1; Jan 22, 2014 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by AU Fan
Ugh ... have planned a 2 day layover on our way to Ko Samui at the beginning of February. I can cancel the layover and go straight to Ko Samui and extend our time there from 4 to 6 days if needed. However, this was going to be our first time in Bangkok and we were really looking forward to it. Just trying to delay this decision until the last possible moment.

Anyone have any advice?
Ended up canceling my stay in Bangkok and extending our Samui trip. Was able to do so without much added cost. Actually looking forward to exploring Samui a bit more and possibly adding a day of diving.

I hope all remains calm and everyone has a great trip!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
IIRC, UA stopped servicing the route from NRT-BKK (not due to the protests)...seem to recall a thread in the UA forum discussing it. *A partner flights only now.
Thanks. I arrived here a couple of weeks ago on UA. What I don't get is that the flights are *always* full. Packed completely. And the tickets aren't cheap. Why quit servicing them?

20 years ago I used to fly here on Delta. Then they cancelled. Again, flights were always full.

Oh well.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:50 pm

Have a one night reservation at the Intercontinental on February 8, assuming I should book a back up/cancel this all together?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
Have a one night reservation at the Intercontinental on February 8, assuming I should book a back up/cancel this all together?
No reason to cancel. The protests are dying down. You get to the Intercontinental by BTS at any time and by taxi during the day.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:13 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Check out Richard Barrow's twitter feed and website (links at top of this page) - he regularly shows photos, maps, and explains that tourist activity is not very impacted. Some hotels (including the Intercontinental) are inaccessible to taxis, but Skytrain is fine, for example.

If going to Bangkok, just avoid those areas - most of the city seems untouched and completely normal.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Perfectly safe, just don't go to the protest areas where they lob grenades into the crowds.

I would not call that perfectly safe.
And the current homicide rate in New York, Washington DC, LA and Chicago?

Those ARE dangerous cities.

I would cancel a holiday to Kiev at the momet, but not Bangkok.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk
I would cancel a holiday to Kiev at the momet, but not Bangkok.
As someone who is headed to BKK in 3 weeks, this perfectly sums up my current thinking. Of course, things could change. But as of now we're going.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Leaving for BKK on Saturday. Are any hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. offering special discounts given the decrease in visitors?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Leaving for BKK on Saturday. Are any hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. offering special discounts given the decrease in visitors?
Is there a decrease in visitors?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nevsky
Special discounts? I thought you said you were going to Bangkok.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Is there a decrease in visitors?
Yes, huge decreases. Some hotels saying 50% occupancy or less. Airlines cancelling flights. I think SQ cut out half of it's flights SIN/BKK because of lack of passengers.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Actually, I was more worried about shops, restaurants and sights being either closed or not easily accessible. Getting to the Chatuchak market and having half the stalls closed and nobody there... not being able to access the Grand Palace without having to walk thru a protest crowd....
I'd say if you are a typical tourist going for a "fun weekend" (or a mileage run like me), there are better places to spend a few days. Who needs the hassles?
If you're just set to go on some boring business meetings anyway, yeah, go. I'm sure its fine.

Last edited by chavala; Jan 23, 2014 at 11:52 pm Reason: sp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.