Trick: No 150 THB commission on ATM- Cash Dispenser

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.

I've forgot to post this little trick!

As You've seen, from 3-4y ALL ATM - Cash dispensers in Thailand apply a 150 THB fee (about 3,70 € or 5$) to ALL withdrawal transactions made with foreign credit/debit card (due to an agreement between Thai Government and Bank assoc.).
Well, there's a trick to work around this "cheat": AEON.

There're plenty of ATMs all around Thailand particularly in the malls and some 7-eleven and also in small islands like Koh Phangan, Koh Samui, etc.;

you can find them here on this link:

http://www.aeonthailand.com/en/custo..._depositor.php

if i remember correctly, they are violet coloured!
in BKK you can find them at MBK and also in BIG C (near the Central World Plaza).

Hope this can be useful.^
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Someone posted this before and I think the consensus was that people discovered AEON's trick: Their exchange rate was significantly worse than other ATMs so there were cases where it would be cheaper to pay the 150 Baht than to use an AEON ATM.

YMMV.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Someone posted this before and I think the consensus was that people discovered AEON's trick: Their exchange rate was significantly worse than other ATMs so there were cases where it would be cheaper to pay the 150 Baht than to use an AEON ATM.

YMMV.
I recall one poster indicating he felt ripped off by the tuk tuk cost, an hour of wasted travel and a lower exchange rate.

However more posters, myself included, have not noticed this Aeon quirk and the poster in question didn't divulge the numbers for confirmation.

While I'd never go out of the my way to use an Aeon ATM there are a number of branches I've visited over the last few years and have never noticed anything questionable about the exchange.

The reason Aeon doesn't charge the 150 Baht is because it's not a member of the Thailand Bankers' Associate, the entity which mandates it's members charge the fee.

BTW: OP, this has been known since the fee was instituted.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I recall one poster indicating he felt ripped off by the tuk tuk cost, an hour of wasted travel and a lower exchange rate.

However more posters, myself included, have not noticed this Aeon quirk and the poster in question didn't divulge the numbers for confirmation.

While I'd never go out of the my way to use an Aeon ATM there are a number of branches I've visited over the last few years and have never noticed anything questionable about the exchange.

The reason Aeon doesn't charge the 150 Baht is because it's not a member of the Thailand Bankers' Associate, the entity which mandates it's members charge the fee.

BTW: OP, this has been known since the fee was instituted.
What do you mean with " I recall one poster indicating he felt ripped off by the tuk tuk cost, an hour of wasted travel and a lower exchange rate.
"

anyway i did not noticed any strange exchange rate made by AEON on my debit card.
Anyway if already discussed on FT, ok thats's fine, i was just trying to give an hint to someone else!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
The counters to this claim were that Aeon (or any of the Thai banks for that matter) don't set the rate. It's set by Visa, Mastercard or who ever's logo is on your card and processes the transaction.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
What do you mean with " I recall one poster indicating he felt ripped off by the tuk tuk cost, an hour of wasted travel and a lower exchange rate.
"

anyway i did not noticed any strange exchange rate made by AEON on my debit card.
Anyway if already discussed on FT, ok thats's fine, i was just trying to give an hint to someone else!
In the thread mentioned by forumpersona999, and then referenced in my post, a particular individual claimed the rate at Aeon was lower than that at other banks.

He was also complaining that between the transportation time and tuk tuk costs he came away with less money than if he just went to a local bank and paid the fee.

The remainder of the those participating in that particular thread (+/-) were of the belief that Aeon does not set their rate and therefor can't offer a lower rate. Said individual never responded with the requested numbers to back up his claims.

It might be in the main ATM fee thread or it might be a separate one. Too lazy to look for it at the moment.

Suffice to say, you are correct that it's a means to avoid the fee. However this has been bandied about on many occasions and your post is not groundbreaking.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...il-17-a-8.html

AEON ATM's remain fee-free. I used one yesterday (Monday, 24 June 2013 ~ 11:00 local time) in the AEON branch on the lowest level of Terminal 21 (Asoke BTS/Sukhumvit MRT). I received 15,000 THB and paid $483.98 (USD).

The exchange rate is governed by Visa in my case.

The exchange rate is about the best you're able to achieve on any given day.

Some have documented first-hand experience using a counter transaction within a larger bank branch, and avoiding the 150 THB fee. I have never tried this. There have also been some reports of some banks imposing a 180 THB fee, I do not know if these reports are accurate, or which banks might be affected.

Last edited by transpac; Jun 24, 2013 at 8:31 pm
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by transpac
There have also been some reports of some banks imposing a 180 THB fee, I do not know if these reports are accurate, or which banks might be affected.
Definitely accurate - I experienced it late April/early May. This was at the Krungsri (yellow?) bank, although I understand it was to be rolled out. I also heard it was Mastercards only, but not 100% sure on this.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:59 am
Original Poster

AEON ATM's remain fee-free. I used one yesterday (Monday, 24 June 2013 ~ 11:00 local time) in the AEON branch on the lowest level of Terminal 21 (Asoke BTS/Sukhumvit MRT). I received 15,000 THB and paid $483.98 (USD).

Some have documented first-hand experience using a counter transaction within a larger bank branch, and avoiding the 150 THB fee. I have never tried this. There have also been some reports of some banks imposing a 180 THB fee, I do not know if these reports are accurate, or which banks might be affected.
^
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

That's a very good exchange rate....the XE.com rate yesterday hovered between 30.98 and 31.13.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
That's a very good exchange rate....the XE.com rate yesterday hovered between 30.98 and 31.13.
I noticed this as well. The daily fluctuation is interesting but I'll take it over the strong baht that was seen only a handful of weeks ago.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Bring cash (USD, EUR or whatever your home currency is) and change to THB at Super Rich Thailand (superrichthailand.com) or Super Rich (superrich1965.com). No ATM can beat the rates offered and no change fees charged. Just remember to bring your passport (a copy will be made).

You will find branch offices near Central World Plaza (behind the "street market" after passing BIG C to your right)
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Bring cash (USD, EUR or whatever your home currency is) and change to THB at Super Rich Thailand (superrichthailand.com) or Super Rich (superrich1965.com). No ATM can beat the rates offered and no change fees charged. Just remember to bring your passport (a copy will be made).

You will find branch offices near Central World Plaza (behind the "street market" after passing BIG C to your right)
Why they make so low rates? are they crazy?!^
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
Why they make so low rates? are they crazy?!^
They do a large volume of business with many currencies.

NB: The rates shown online are only guaranteed to be offered at their main branch, as noted above, behind Big C on Ratchadamri. All other outer branches might offer a lower rate.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR

FWIW, I received 30.99 THB/1 USD via an AEON ATM withdrawal. Superrich (blue/green and orange) were both 30.90, when I checked. Obviously not an option for me as I did not have $100 bills.

I was at Superrich (blue/green) last week and the wait to change money was easily over an hour, the place was packed tight. I ran over to Superrich (orange) and the rate (for EUR) was the same, and only three people ahead of me.

You can get slightly better rates on Soi Phradipet but it may not be worth the journey unless you are changing large amounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.