Wiki Posts
Search

Thornburi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thornburi

Spending a few days at the Hilton and thought a visit here would be something different. I am hoping to avoid farang-ish attractions that are "closed" and read that this area would be what I was looking for. I only found limited info from another thread and could use some help [I am asking as kono suggested]. I'd like to mix in canal boat and land/walking/tuk tuk stuff. Can this be done by just showing up and wandering around? Do I need a guide? Cost if known??? This is a short notice trip only happening bc LH and TG F award seats opened up

Thanks all

Originally Posted by konoyaro

We did our own walking tour in the Thonburi district and visited:
Wat Kalaya Nimit, Kuan An Keng, Santa Cruz Church, Wat Prayun Wong and enjoyed khanom farang kutii jiin. Discovering this older part of Bangkok was a lot of fun for us and I think Jan would be a great guide for this excursion.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:16 am

deleted

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Mar 21, 2013 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: most of them
Well, if this is your first time in Bangkok I think you do yourself a disservice by avoiding the big tourist sights. Just ignore the touts if any try to tell you a place is "closed" for whatever reason. The scams are pretty easy to avoid and ignore. Frankly I don't think I have ever been hassled by scammers during any of my several visits.

I loved the Royal Barge Museum but it's tucked away and not especially easy to find. Personally I think having a guide adds to the experience and they can help you navigate which will save you a lot of time.

And frankly I would avoid tuk tuks. Just take a taxi. It's probably cheaper in most cases and way more comfortable.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Poster

It's not my first trip to BKK so no worries about the big tourist sites. This trip is mainly to eat and explore other BKK areas.

I like the taxi idea too. I just like thought tuk tuks bc I can get a taxi here in DC at anytime.

I hate using concierges for this type of travel since they help find what they think I want rather that what I've asked for [see e.g., local bus in BOG - my little rant lol]

As for the scams, I've purchased some of the most beautiful REAL gems from a guy with a cousin at the Univ of TX. I believe the cousin is in the same graduating class as the carpet guy's cousin from the bazaar in IST

/sarcasm off

Thanks

Cheers

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Well, if this is your first time in Bangkok I think you do yourself a disservice by avoiding the big tourist sights. Just ignore the touts if any try to tell you a place is "closed" for whatever reason. The scams are pretty easy to avoid and ignore. Frankly I don't think I have ever been hassled by scammers during any of my several visits.

I loved the Royal Barge Museum but it's tucked away and not especially easy to find. Personally I think having a guide adds to the experience and they can help you navigate which will save you a lot of time.

And frankly I would avoid tuk tuks. Just take a taxi. It's probably cheaper in most cases and way more comfortable.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://wikitravel.org/en/Bangkok/Thonburi

https://www.google.com/search?q=thon...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The Royal Barge Museum is on the opposite side of a large waterway - from the section of Thonburi where you will be - where it enters the Chao Phraya River, and can be challenging to get to other than by boat. I went by private boat, not sure what the public boat options are.

There is also the Thonburi Railway Station Museum at Sirriraj Hosptial.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Transpac you've been a lifesaver on this short notice BKK trip

I have been looking through Travel Fish and finding some good stuff.

A walking tour: Wat Kalayanamit, Santa Cruz Church, Ton Son Mosque, and Wat Arun. From Wat Arun follow some of these suggestions HERE, and then to the flute making area and/or the wet markets.

I am still trying to find a low key canal tour. I'd really like to find a hop on hop off type of boat but know that doesn't exist. Is this type of tour something that can be negotiated on the spot or do I need a tour company/guide?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
I am still trying to find a low key canal tour. I'd really like to find a hop on hop off type of boat but know that doesn't exist. Is this type of tour something that can be negotiated on the spot or do I need a tour company/guide?

You might be better off renting a private long-tail boat for a full or half-day. Maybe look for a personal reference for a driver who is familiar with the area?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

I'd love to know how? Any suggestions would go a long way to increasing your cold adult beverage count if I ever run into you

Cheers

Originally Posted by transpac
You might be better off renting a private long-tail boat for a full or half-day. Maybe look for a personal reference for a driver who is familiar with the area?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'd love to know how? Any suggestions would go a long way to increasing your cold adult beverage count if I ever run into you

Cheers
Go to any dock where long tails hang around and negotiate a deal.

Two years ago we negotiated with a tout at the Sappan Taksin Pier for a long tail, 3 hours, no stopping, just a leisurely wander around the interior klongs of Thonburi.

IIRC it was 1400 THB for 4 people.

I generally steer clear of touts but it's quite difficult ot negotiate with drivers directly.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd love to know how?
Cheers
If I had a recommendation I certainly would have provided it here. Someone else organized our all day outing via long-tail boat ages ago. I have no idea how much it cost, but we did get picked up at the public pier at/near the Oriental Hotel. We went south on the Chao Phraya river, then west-ish back out into Thonburi, making quite a few stops for walking, snacks, lunch. The boat driver would wait for us, or meet us at the next agreed upon spot. We worked our way north and did visit the Royal Barge Museum. It was an amazing day.

I would just search the various forums, including here, for things like "long-tail boat", "tour", etc. to get a feel for how you might arrange this. AFAIK, a Thai colleague sorted all this out directly with a boat driver. If you have any Thai friends maybe they can also scour the various Thai social forums for some leads?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Understood. Thanks

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Go to any dock where long tails hang around and negotiate a deal.

Two years ago we negotiated with a tout at the Sappan Taksin Pier for a long tail, 3 hours, no stopping, just a leisurely wander around the interior klongs of Thonburi.

IIRC it was 1400 THB for 4 people.

I generally steer clear of touts but it's quite difficult ot negotiate with drivers directly.
Originally Posted by transpac
If I had a recommendation I certainly would have provided it here. Someone else organized our all day outing via long-tail boat ages ago. I have no idea how much it cost, but we did get picked up at the public pier at/near the Oriental Hotel. We went south on the Chao Phraya river, then west-ish back out into Thonburi, making quite a few stops for walking, snacks, lunch. The boat driver would wait for us, or meet us at the next agreed upon spot. We worked our way north and did visit the Royal Barge Museum. It was an amazing day.

I would just search the various forums, including here, for things like "long-tail boat", "tour", etc. to get a feel for how you might arrange this. AFAIK, a Thai colleague sorted all this out directly with a boat driver. If you have any Thai friends maybe they can also scour the various Thai social forums for some leads?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.