Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Phuket: Hilton / Renaissance or Best Western (swimming & relaxing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

which of the following properties would you recommend for my first trip to thailand end of april. Focus is: clean beach and sea, suitable for swimming, nice and clean property.

1. Hilton Arcadia (I am HHonors Gold) (deluxe sea view room + half-board, hoping for an upgrade incl. lounge access)
2. Renaissance Resort & Spa (MR Platinum available) (half-board)
3. Best Western (All inclusive)

Also if you should know something else great with a similar budget, I would be more than happy to hear that.

As I am using a voucher, I will have to book a hotel via a tour operator, which might lower chances for perks under the HHonors or Marriott Rewards program.

Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
To tell you the truth, I would highly recommend driving 1-hour north of Phuket and going to the JW Marriott Khao Lak. It is an amazing property, with a great, beach, excellent rooms, and lovely beach side restaurants that you can enjoy for lunch and dinner at very inexpensive prices.

The best part: the area is quiet, relaxing, and quite beautiful.

PM me if you have additional questions and I'd be happy to help.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you for this recommendation. It looks really good and TA ratings are good as well (apart from some jellyfish-comments). But the pricing is a bit different to the renaissance hkt: Is it worth the exta?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:42 pm

Are you paying cash or using Marriott points? If points, the pricing is the same. If paying, you would have to tell me the price difference for me to help you.

Overall, I can honestly say that it is in the top 5 hotels I have ever stayed at and I stay at a LOT of nice hotels.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:07 am
Original Poster

I am paying cash.

For a 6night stay inlcuding half-board these are the rates I found:

- Hilton Arcadia 758 EUR (Deluxe Plus room to have chance to be upgraded to executive room + lounge (I read on the internet that executive lounge is not common when booking the lowest category)

- Renaissance HKT 948 EUR

- Renaissance Khao Lak 1070 EUR

- Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort 818 EUR
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
I've just returned from the Hilton Arcadia in Phuket. It's a pretty tired old concrete monstrosity with lousy food (made especially bland for the thousands of Russian tourists I assume).
I've stayed previously at the JW Marriott (though a few years back) and it was definitely way better. Can't comment on the Meridien or Renaissance.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:58 pm

And how much more total is the JW Khao Lak?

I have heard great things about the Renaissance Phuket also, so if the price difference if great, I'm sure it'll be worth it. Although I did hear that the place is filled with loud Russians.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: PLT Life Marriott, SPG, AA, Delta
We just stayed at the Ren last week. It was wonderful. Yes there were a few Russians, but when we were there the beaches were not busy at all. It was very peaceful and the service was great.

We walked to the JW and the grounds and the pool looked amazing, but something about the Ren made it just great. I can't compare to the others you note, but I don't think you would be disappointed with the Ren.

I used points and was upgraded to a pool villa which was pretty cool to have your own little pool

Enjoy!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by cdnbum88
We just stayed at the Ren last week. It was wonderful. Yes there were a few Russians, but when we were there the beaches were not busy at all. It was very peaceful and the service was great.

We walked to the JW and the grounds and the pool looked amazing, but something about the Ren made it just great. I can't compare to the others you note, but I don't think you would be disappointed with the Ren.

I used points and was upgraded to a pool villa which was pretty cool to have your own little pool

Enjoy!
Just an FYI, I am talking about the JW Khao Lak, not Phuket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.