Wiki Posts
Search

Guided vs. Private Tours

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PLT Life Marriott, SPG, AA, Delta
Guided vs. Private Tours

I have searched a few threads in the past on guided and private tours, but did not find a lot. One hotel we inquired with noted Splendid touring (this might of been for HKG) company and I saw Betours and Tour with Tong.

If we are only in Bangkok for two full days since we get in late on the 25th. I would think if we want to book anything we would want to do it in advance of getting in at midnight that night.

I have not seen too many references to private tours besides the few comments of higher costs which is obviously reasonable and would think typical. I don't recall seeing many private tour listings noted either for BKK or HKT.

Any thoughts or suggestions? 2/25 - 2/28 BKK at Ren, 2/28 - 3/5 Ren HKT and 3/5 - 3/8 JW HKG. Any input on any of the locations is welcome.

I will inquire with the conceirge as I have with all three locations and they have provided suggestions, but would like to hear from the 'field'
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Well I ended up going with a private tour with Gift.

Will let you know how it goes.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I'm thinking about hiring Gift as well, so would love to see more feedback on her tour!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I use only Chob Panma. I am not sure of how you distinguish private vs. guided since a private tour you have a guide and they guide you, hence it is a guided tour.

They charge for Bangkok only 2,000 Baht for the day, the guides are bilingual and certified (my companion is Thai so the bilingual part is important). All day to Ayutthaya was 6,000 or so and that was a van, driver, guide and 9 to after 5 p.m.

You pay for your food and admissions. Which in Bangkok are not much. I always pay for the guide's as well and tip at least 500 Baht on the 2,000. The guide rarely has to pay for admissions anyway, as a guide and/or as a Thai.

They have packaged tours, e.g. planned around an agenda which they are quite experienced with but we go off the plan regularly and lately the tours are pretty much made up by me and they do the guiding. I have used then four times in 2 years.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Our day and a half tour with Gift was amazing. She was wonderful, insightful, funny and just great to hang around with all day.

She had preset the two recommended tours of the Grand Palace, Temple and canal tour and the Floating and Train Market.

The first day was very nice and informative. She took us straight to the highlights and explained everything nicely. We were able to enjoy good conversation and had a very nice Thai lunch. We walked a lot and enjoyed much of the scenary. The Grand Palace and the Temple are simply amazing and WOW factor of all the work that is involved with the building of all the structures and pieces. We did not have to wait in lines since she planned the days very well.

The net day was an early morning and off to the Markets. Seeing the salt fields was pretty cool as we had never seen anything like that before. The floating market is pretty wild. Lots to see and she took us off the beaten path with her private boat driver and saw some very neat things and way the people lived there. The train market was crazy too. Tons of people and to think the train is still active is pretty insane Just seeing how the people lived and their daily lives was pretty amazing.

All through the tour Gift told us great facts and details of all that we saw. She answered all our silly questions and even before the tour I had lots of questions and she answered then very promptly and gave great advice.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Gift. She is an amazing person and great tour guide. It may seem silly but we made a friend in our two days together and would welcome her to our house any time. She is so sweet and my wife and her hit is off. They had some girl power going

I would highly recommend any of her tours and not sure of comparison pricing, but I would think her price is reasonable for private and I think you get more then what you pay for.

Here is a link to her website:
http://privatetourthailand.com/

If you do happen to book with her, say hi from the Roses
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I've just booked her for April. Thanks for the review.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:59 am

I just asked her if she's available for March 21 and 22nd. Thanks for the recommendation. Tong is booked full.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Just do it yourself. You can go on you're own schedule. I couldn't stand the thought of being in any type of guided tour whether a group or private
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Just do it yourself. You can go on you're own schedule. I couldn't stand the thought of being in any type of guided tour whether a group or private
Often times we will do it on our own, however, for this trip we feel it important to get a full understanding of the history and nuances of the culture that can only be imparted by a guide in a very short period of time. A good guide can enrich your understanding of the country, the people and the history of the region. And, in the midst of possible protests when we're there we like the idea of having guide who can quickly adjust the schedule to account for the unknown problem of street closures, etc....
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:55 pm

We've been on a few tours in Thailand. Of the private ones we had a good experience from here http://yourthaiguide.com. They are very responsive and accomodating. We tried e-mailing with Tong last year. She must be very popular because she was not responsive at all. We also tried Chob Panma's company. Our guide, Ms. Get was just okay. They were very responsive and organized though and have a lot of guides working for them.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Cdnblue
Often times we will do it on our own, however, for this trip we feel it important to get a full understanding of the history and nuances of the culture that can only be imparted by a guide in a very short period of time. A good guide can enrich your understanding of the country, the people and the history of the region. And, in the midst of possible protests when we're there we like the idea of having guide who can quickly adjust the schedule to account for the unknown problem of street closures, etc....
to me that is wasted time listening to someone ramble when you could be seeing stuff....We enjoy learning that stuff as well, but you can read about all that before arriving. I always say to each his own though, so enjoy BKK. Heading back in <2 weeks for 5th trip in 13 months and cannot wait

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.