Wiki Posts
Search

Divers? Can you offer some advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Divers? Can you offer some advice

My lady and I are in the process of beginning to plan a trip to Thailand in February for diving. We would plan on being in Thailand 10-11 days and as one of the dive activities are thinking about a 4-5 day livaboard trip to the Similan Islands... this leaves us with 5-6 days of doing something else, which hopefully would involve a little more diving. I've read through some posts on Phuket and Phi Phi but thought I would see if there is someone who has done a similar trip in Thailand who could make some suggestions...

While you are at it, if you have a good suggestion for a Similan Liveaboard operation, that would be welcome. We are not looking for the cheapest, rather would pay some more for good equipment and nice experience.

Thanks a bunch...

Buzz
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:34 pm

I dove with phi phi scuba. Fantastic boat, jumped off the three stories tall into the water. The dive was incredible. Two dive masters were down and one offered to stay down with me as I was still at about 2/3 full. Spent about 25 min at 15-20 feet watching eight reef sharks circle. Definitely my best dive experience. There was a whale shark the day before. I don't remember the location but it was on the south side of an island by maya bay.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KM123
I dove with phi phi scuba. Fantastic boat, jumped off the three stories tall into the water. The dive was incredible. Two dive masters were down and one offered to stay down with me as I was still at about 2/3 full. Spent about 25 min at 15-20 feet watching eight reef sharks circle. Definitely my best dive experience. There was a whale shark the day before. I don't remember the location but it was on the south side of an island by maya bay.
Hey thanks... Hoping that some other divers may chime in... we found an operator who we think we might go with for the Similan trip but the rest of the trip is still up in the air...
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:58 pm

Generally West Coast is better Diving than east coast. If you have done Similan/ Surin for daytrips it's Phang Nga (quieter place Zhang Phuket), Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi, Lanta.

I World think of the Ressort area I like first and than go for trips Fromm there. Similan is the best diving anyways.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Anyone have good recommendations near Khoa Lak?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Only went on a liveaboard from there (best diving if that is what you are looking for).

Last dive was a nice and easy wreck they also do for day trips.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
That's the jumping off place to get to the dive boats out at the Similan Islands. It's a long one hour ride by speed boat to get there. Excellent choice. Stay overnight at least one night on the boat of your choice. Do some research.

-David
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
That's the jumping off place to get to the dive boats out at the Similan Islands. It's a long one hour ride by speed boat to get there. Excellent choice. Stay overnight at least one night on the boat of your choice. Do some research.

-David
Thanks everyone... we are thinking of staying near Khoa Lak but on Phuket Island... and doing a 4 day boat trip to the Similans... then doing some other shorter 1 or 2 day dive trips during our time... We found a Polish operator (my lady friend lives in Warsaw) who seems to be very helpful and willing to accommodate our needs... I actually bought my air yesterday and it will give us two full weeks in the area..
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman
Thanks everyone... we are thinking of staying near Khoa Lak but on Phuket Island... and doing a 4 day boat trip to the Similans... then doing some other shorter 1 or 2 day dive trips during our time... We found a Polish operator (my lady friend lives in Warsaw) who seems to be very helpful and willing to accommodate our needs... I actually bought my air yesterday and it will give us two full weeks in the area..
anything on Phuket island is at least a long one hour drive to Khao Lak.

I've stayed at the JW Marriott near the bridge and the airport and it was a long drive to Khao Lak in the morning, then you wait a while at the dock, then the long speedboat ride out to the dive boats.

It's fine if you are doing at least one overnight. We had kids with us that didn't dive, so we actually did it as day trips, which I think was kind of crazy. The kids stayed at the hotel, but I did take them with us on the Phi Phi island overnight and they had a great time on that trip too. The boat stops in several places for diving and they were able to jump in the water and snorkel around. I remember the walk up the hill to our room at the hotel on Phi Phi island was grueling that night.

Anyway, have some great dives. the water is crystal clear there. The people are great too.

There's a couple of nice properties in Khao Lak that would be good bases for when you are diving the Similan Is. I've always wanted to try the Le Meridien Khao Lak in conjunction with a dive trip. But you don't have to stay down there the whole time, you can move back to Phuket Is or other Koh's for part of the trip too.

-David
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
I dove with Dive Asia when I was in Phuket. They have several locations on the islands, three I believe… mine being the one at Karon Beach. I found them to be extremely professional. They do book livaboards to the Similans. I only did a couple two-dive days.
http://www.diveasia.com/index.htm
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
I dove with Dive Asia when I was in Phuket. They have several locations on the islands, three I believe… mine being the one at Karon Beach. I found them to be extremely professional. They do book livaboards to the Similans. I only did a couple two-dive days.
http://www.diveasia.com/index.htm
Thanks... we will have a look!!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:40 pm

Does anyone have experience on the gulf side? We are heading to Thailand in August of next year, and are looking at Ko Tao for all of our diving/island/beach time.

Our dive guide book makes it look like the diving/weather may be a bit better there during that time of year, and that Ko Tao is the best diving island on the gulf side.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by BookerT
Does anyone have experience on the gulf side? We are heading to Thailand in August of next year, and are looking at Ko Tao for all of our diving/island/beach time.

Our dive guide book makes it look like the diving/weather may be a bit better there during that time of year, and that Ko Tao is the best diving island on the gulf side.
Koh Tao is the best on the Golf side, Andaman Sea is better Diving though.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I did some pretty extensive research on liveaboards to The Similans / Surin Islands and think The White Manta sounds like the nicest of the boats. "The Junk" is another, but when World Wide Dive and Sail's Oriental Siren sank a few months ago, they started charting it for their own clients, so they're schedule is very "iffy".
We're on the White Manta next month so will let you know. In the meantime, try scubaboard.com for the sort of reviews you're looking for.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala
I did some pretty extensive research on liveaboards to The Similans / Surin Islands and think The White Manta sounds like the nicest of the boats. "The Junk" is another, but when World Wide Dive and Sail's Oriental Siren sank a few months ago, they started charting it for their own clients, so they're schedule is very "iffy".
We're on the White Manta next month so will let you know. In the meantime, try scubaboard.com for the sort of reviews you're looking for.
Appreciate that!! Just looked at our res and we are booked on the White Manta in early March..!!! Through a Polish operator in Thailand... my lady friend did the booking... she lives in Warsaw.. not sure how she ended up with them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.