Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

shopping recommendations near Grand Palace?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:35 am
Original Poster

We have a 16 hour layover in BKK so we thought we would go to the Grand Palace. Can anyone recommend shopping places very nearby for Thai not too expensive souvenirs?
We also plan to take the ferry down to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel for refreshment- any similar recommendations in that area?

Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:21 am

I actually do my souvenir shopping in the Patpong night market which is near the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Make sure you keep track of your time. I probably wouldn't go there though if I had children with me (not sure of your personal situation).
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a pretty insane flea market which runs nearly the entire length of Thanon Maha Rat from Wat Pho (Tha Tian) to Tha Chang (Thanon Na Phra Lan).

You enter Wat Phra Kaew/The Grand Palace from Na Phra Lan.

Additionally there should be a fair amount of souvenir stores in the Tha Tian Market.

Two tips:

dress in loose clothing covering all of your legs and at least short sleeves to avoid having to queue for additional clothing to cover up.

make sure the Grand Palace will be open; it is closed on many holidays including those which might otherwise go unidentified.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:45 pm

Not sure many had the same experience as me, but I took the ferry to Mandarin Oriental, planned to walk through and they checked for a hotel key and wouldn't let me. Made me take ferry back. Was with wife and child.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pointeater
Not sure many had the same experience as me, but I took the ferry to Mandarin Oriental, planned to walk through and they checked for a hotel key and wouldn't let me. Made me take ferry back. Was with wife and child.
Was that a private hotel ferry? We were planning Chao Phraya express ferry which is public?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.