Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

30-50 nights in serviced apartment / hotel in BKK. Which chain do you recommend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30-50 nights in serviced apartment / hotel in BKK. Which chain do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.

I am relocating to BKK and will spend at least 30 more likely 50 nights in a hotel suite or service apartment there I will then spend another 30 room nights in hotels across Asia plus NYC in 2012

Any tips, based on my location (Bangkok) which chain to pick for best value in these circumstances or which chain would give me top status based on my initial 30 night booking? At the moment I'm considering Pan Pacific and Hilton Any views or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:22 pm

Here's an option: 10 stays/25 nights for SPG gold, 25 stays/50 nights for SPG Plat. Will get pricey if you're staying on your own dime, though.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by cornellfOo
Here's an option: 10 stays/25 nights for SPG gold, 25 stays/50 nights for SPG Plat. Will get pricey if you're staying on your own dime, though.
Thanks had not considered SPG. hotels in BKK offer good long term deals even on my dime. Two questions Any idea how to contact then to ask if they would give me status up front if I book in advance.? And are they good about room grades and Lounge access on gold?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
I'd go SPG. And if you really want to maximize your status, the Sharaton and the Westin are directly across the street from each other. So if you didn't mind switching hotels every night, your 30-50 nights could actually be 30-50 stays and you get platinum in the first go.

Yeah it's a bit of work moving back and forth, but I've done it before. The bell staff at each hotel are hip to it, so you can check in across the street, then go back and check out of your first hotel, and just tell the bellman what your new room number is across the street. Your bags will automagically appear in your new room.

It also helps that those two are in a nice location. Lots of walkable stuff and a Skytrain station right there.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: SQ
Shouldn't it be fairly easy to find a serviced apartment for 1000$ or under?

Unless of course, your work is paying and you want to earn points. BKK has a lot of hotels that are affordable - I would focus on the location you need to be at since the city can be hectic at times.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Shouldn't it be fairly easy to find a serviced apartment for 1000$ or under?

Unless of course, your work is paying and you want to earn points. BKK has a lot of hotels that are affordable - I would focus on the location you need to be at since the city can be hectic at times.
Thanks for responding. Work is paying me an allowance to settle in. On service apartments on the web I found most of them seem to cost the same has hotel serviced apartments (eg conrad on Wireless Road orr the Pan PAcific in Sukhumvit). Suites also cost the same i.e 3000 USD per month. So I thought, why not stay wioth a chain and get status and miles?

When i looked at high end service apartments on the web they also seem to cost just about this much, certainly nothing less than USD 2500 for a 1 bed. My office will be near the royal thai military HQ There nothing close to that and its not on public transport. colleafgues seem to live either across the river or just do the haul from Sukhumvit/Wireless.

Ill post on thsi issue in the Thailand thread...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RevJim
I'd go SPG. And if you really want to maximize your status, the Sharaton and the Westin are directly across the street from each other. So if you didn't mind switching hotels every night, your 30-50 nights could actually be 30-50 stays and you get platinum in the first go.

Yeah it's a bit of work moving back and forth, but I've done it before. The bell staff at each hotel are hip to it, so you can check in across the street, then go back and check out of your first hotel, and just tell the bellman what your new room number is across the street. Your bags will automagically appear in your new room.

It also helps that those two are in a nice location. Lots of walkable stuff and a Skytrain station right there.

Thanks! This is a fab idea and as a miles junkie I would do this happily... but this would be absolutely the last straw for my wife especially since Ive booked our flight our flight ferom Brazil to BKK is BSB_GRU_BCN_MXP_SIN_BKK for MR reasons that I wont go into here :-)

If on top of this I suggested switching hotels every other night, My dear wife would divorice me I suspect .... and, on balance and careful consideration, maybe its not worth that price :-)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by rathin100
So I thought, why not stay wioth a chain and get status and miles?
Good thinking! True to the spirit of Flyertalk.

Guy I know stayed at a serviced apartment in Ploenchit that was quite nice and modern but he paid 60k baht a month and after 2 months when he checked out, they screwed around with his security deposit.

if on the other hand you go to the brand new aloft or the 1 year (or is it 2 years already?) old 4 Points by Sheraton you would be Starwood Gold after 30 days and pay about 80k baht. Plus you'd have a crap-load of SPG points. As soon as you are SPG gold you will have free internet. For your first month you may need to use a SIM card and 3g.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:27 am

I'm looking at a serviced apartment for two weeks in Bangkok as well. I will have lots of leisure time however and plan to plant myself in the heart of the city - from soi 55 and surrounding sois. With this particular area in mind, what serviced apartments would you recommend?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:34 am

Best deal in terms of comfort, facilities, location: Grande Centrepoint, Ratchadamri location. Spent 3 months in 2 bdrm unit with my wife back in 2010; she picked this site after looking at Emporium [sukhumvit], Four Seasons, Intercontinental [all suites].

I stay there when on business trips - in their one bedroom unit.

Has full kitchen, washer/dryer, big bathroom, LR/DR combo. Gym, pool, and spa facilities. Includes breakfast, maid service, only downside is limited room service/coffee shop but in Bkk that's not a problem. You're minutes from BTS, Central, Siam Paragon and MBK.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:56 am

Looks like I can get a 1br (54 sqm) including Internet and complimentary breakfast at the Conrad Residences at a corporate rate of 3500thb. Is there a better deal to be found in the city at this price or is this as good as it gets?

A neat addition at this place is the Playstation 3.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Looks like I can get a 1br (54 sqm) including Internet and complimentary breakfast at the Conrad Residences at a corporate rate of 3500thb. Is there a better deal to be found in the city at this price or is this as good as it gets?

A neat addition at this place is the Playstation 3.
I'm getting 3200 . Maybe we should bargain together LOL. But the Sheraton sounds like a good deal too!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

So looks like the Sheraton is our best bet. I notice that 30 nights at the Conrad dobens not even get me Gold status with Hilton. How. About the Asian chains is Amari good ? Also how about Accor ? Are they good with upgrades?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
Another "sneaky" idea , if they are not giving you a great rate , can you check in and out everyday , one day for you and one day for your wife ?

Just on paper , you would never change rooms but you would get more points I think .

RB
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redondo-beach
Another "sneaky" idea , if they are not giving you a great rate , can you check in and out everyday , one day for you and one day for your wife ?

Just on paper , you would never change rooms but you would get more points I think .

RB
LOL great idea but I don't think they will buy it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.