Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Money in BKK - Swampy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You'll also do better with travelers checks, if you are able to get them before you leave. For example, just checked Kasikornbank's rates for CAD. 30.34 for cash, but 30.69 for travelers checks.
Unless using a higher denomination all that savings will be eaten up by the stamp fee. For the numbers you give the additional 35 THB received per $100 is likely what the fee is.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks so much all. I'll do some digging into banks in downtown Hat Yai. Not sure what time they'd close as we should be at our hotel, Centara, around 3 - 3:30pm. If the Hat Yai banks won't be open then sounds like the exchange booths in Swampy is the way to go.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Unless using a higher denomination all that savings will be eaten up by the stamp fee. For the numbers you give the additional 35 THB received per $100 is likely what the fee is.
Right, Dsquared37, completely forgot. So for USD, am I better off with $100 bills in cash or $500 travelers checks, both the largest denominations available?

You going to be around second half of February?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The additional fee for exchanging travelers checks is 33 baht per check, for any denomination.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
The additional fee for exchanging travelers checks is 33 baht per check, for any denomination.

Which, with a $100 TC, would completely negate any 'better rate' that the TCs were being exchanged for. TC's effectively receive a better rate when using a denomination >$100.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Which, with a $100 TC, would completely negate any 'better rate' that the TCs were being exchanged for. TC's effectively receive a better rate when using a denomination >$100.
Yes, the break-even point here is ~ $130 USD factoring in the 33 baht fee, assuming you were able to get the TC's without any fee. TC's obviously offer additional features/value.

RoninTech: I assume you are monitoring the current weather/flooding situation in the South? From the TV reports it looks quite bad.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by RoninTech
Hi All,

We usually change our Canadian $ to baht before we leave (3 weeks from now). This time I was going to try to do it at BKK in the hopes of getting a better exchange rate as we are only getting 27.7 baht per CDN dollar here in Calgary. We'll be arriving on TG F from FRA and will be waiting in the F lounge for our flight to Hat Yai where we go through customs (as it's an international airport and the first time we see our luggage). Can anyone recommend a place to change money without the need to go through customs at BKK? I imagine we could get a better rate downtown but as long as it's better than what we'd get here in Calgary, we'd prefer not to be rushing around in between flights.

Thanks!
I can't see you ever getting a better rate changing your dollars to Thai baht in Canada unless someone screws up. I do know there are bank money changers available at Suvarnabhumi 24 hours a day for arrivals and for departures. When you change your dollars at one of these many bank money changers there is no real commission to pay either.

I have been to Hat Yai several times but not at the airport. How much time do you have between flights? At Suvarnabhumi there are even some bank money changers near where the carousels are located between immigration and customs. For transit passengers I believe there were bank money changers near the stores selling the expensive stuff that you pass by on the way to your gates. There are ATM's available that could tide you over to you reach a bank money changer in Hat Yai.

There is no fixed rate for changing your currency to Thai baht. The rate you get today has little bearing on what you will get 3 weeks from now. The exchange rates change every working day, either up or down. The rate you get at the airport should be identical to the same bank in the city for that same time and date. You cannot compare rates you get one day against the rate you get another day or another week later even at the same bank. There can be some variation between different bank companies.

I like travelers checks and can get them without any charge from my credit union. If you do bring them only bring the largest denomination you can get. There is a 33 baht fee to cash a travelers check so don't waste it on $5 or $10 checks. Stick with the $100 or $200 sizes at least. Travelers checks when changed in Thailand get a hair more in exchange than ordinary cash. Compared to the 150 baht fee for using an ATM a 33 baht changing fee is pretty cheap.

Here is a link to various bank exchange rates. The rates on these charts are adjusted at least every working day. Find your currency and see what the current rate is. Super Rich is a private money changer.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

I think it would be easier on you to spend at least a day or two in Bangkok instead of flying out immediately to Hat Yai. I never found Hat Yai to be that interesting other than a few days of transit en route to Malaysia or a train stop layover. Hat Yai is very popular with Malaysians who go there for the nightlife and alcohol.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sarcasm warning!!

You obviously didn't read, nor even parse through, the responses so here goes:

Originally Posted by Sirhalberd
... I do know there are bank money changers available at Suvarnabhumi 24 hours a day for arrivals and for departures. When you change your dollars at one of these many bank money changers there is no real commission to pay either.
This has been discussed extensively and yes, there is a commission of sorts. The exchange in BKK, at every single little booth, is exactly 1 THB/ 1 USD less than the banks exchange rate outside of the airport.

I have been to Hat Yai several times but not at the airport. How much time do you have between flights? At Suvarnabhumi there are even some bank money changers near where the carousels are located between immigration and customs. For transit passengers I believe there were bank money changers near the stores selling the expensive stuff that you pass by on the way to your gates. There are ATM's available that could tide you over to you reach a bank money changer in Hat Yai.

There is no fixed rate for changing your currency to Thai baht. The rate you get today has little bearing on what you will get 3 weeks from now. The exchange rates change every working day, either up or down. The rate you get at the airport should be identical to the same bank in the city for that same time and date. You cannot compare rates you get one day against the rate you get another day or another week later even at the same bank. There can be some variation between different bank companies.
Thank you for the little bit of high school intro to econ. But the fact is the underlined portion is completely and totally untrue. See above.

I like travelers checks and can get them without any charge from my credit union. If you do bring them only bring the largest denomination you can get. There is a 33 baht fee to cash a travelers check so don't waste it on $5 or $10 checks. Stick with the $100 or $200 sizes at least. Travelers checks when changed in Thailand get a hair more in exchange than ordinary cash. Compared to the 150 baht fee for using an ATM a 33 baht changing fee is pretty cheap.
Yes, discussed already blah blah blah....

Here is a link to various bank exchange rates. The rates on these charts are adjusted at least every working day. Find your currency and see what the current rate is. Super Rich is a private money changer.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx
yes, posted already upthread (and the site is updated multiple times daily).

I think it would be easier on you to spend at least a day or two in Bangkok instead of flying out immediately to Hat Yai. I never found Hat Yai to be that interesting other than a few days of transit en route to Malaysia or a train stop layover. Hat Yai is very popular with Malaysians who go there for the nightlife and alcohol.
OP never asked for itin help, they simply wanted to know the best way to exchange money. And, just to help ya a little, OP is heading to an island which, one would guess, most easily accessed from HDY. That was present in OP's second posting, just in case you missed it.

Next time read the OP and responses. Thank you.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

dsquared37 is right. We are going to Hat Yai as it is then just a 1.5 hr taxi/mini-van ride to the Andaman coast from where we take a ferry to our island. We've been to Hat Yai many times and have had some good times there. To each their own I guess. We are stopping in BKK on the way home so Mrs. RoninTech can do her annual MBK shopping frenzy.

Sirhalberd, since you are familiar with Hat Yai, any idea what time the banks close on a Friday? We've always shown up in Thailand with our Baht so have never needed to use banks there before. We should be in downtown Hat Yai (Centara) around 3-3:30pm on the Friday we get there. We leave at 9am for the coast the next morning so no time for any running around and since it's a Saturday I imagine the banks wouldn't be open anyway?

Thanks again to all responders.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoninTech
dsquared37 is right. We are going to Hat Yai as it is then just a 1.5 hr taxi/mini-van ride to the Andaman coast from where we take a ferry to our island. We've been to Hat Yai many times and have had some good times there. To each their own I guess. We are stopping in BKK on the way home so Mrs. RoninTech can do her annual MBK shopping frenzy.

Sirhalberd, since you are familiar with Hat Yai, any idea what time the banks close on a Friday? We've always shown up in Thailand with our Baht so have never needed to use banks there before. We should be in downtown Hat Yai (Centara) around 3-3:30pm on the Friday we get there. We leave at 9am for the coast the next morning so no time for any running around and since it's a Saturday I imagine the banks wouldn't be open anyway?

Thanks again to all responders.
Considering the prevalence of tourism in Hat Yai, specifically from Malaysia and Singapore, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a glut of exchange booths, at the least.

Like I said earlier, the one time I was there the streets were piled high with debris so the town that I saw was quite different from the normal place.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:56 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The rate offered for CDN$ is worse than changing CDN$ to US$ and then Baht.
Changing from CDN to THB is not bad value. Certainly better than changing currencies twice. For the Canadian traveler to Thailand, there is no reason to exchange into US first, in fact it just wastes money in transaction fees.

Many ATMs have a limit of 10K THB per withdrawal
Most ATMs in Thailand have a 20 bill per transaction limit. Bangkok Bank has 25 bill per transaction limit. This means that the maximum is 20,000 on most machines, and 25,000 on Bangkok Bank. I have seen the odd Aeon machine that will dispense 40 bills at a time, which is great if you want to minimize the (at home) transaction fees.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
RoninTech: I assume you are monitoring the current weather/flooding situation in the South? From the TV reports it looks quite bad.
Yeah we've been there before during flood years but always after it has subsided. We try to avoid the area until mid January. We have over 2 weeks to go before we get there and since we've passed the typical rainy season things should be better by then.

Knock on wood...
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's rates at SCB in Swampy:

USD--> THB 30.60 (cash) 31.60 (T/C)
CAN--> THB 30.39 (cash) 30.75 (T/C)

Today's published rates for SCB (anywhere but in swampy):

USD--> THB 31.45 (cash)

Today's published rates for Superich:

USD--> THB 31.88 (cash)

It appears that TC's are a good option in the airport.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I honestly did not know that TMB and SCB offered lower rates at the airport, adding what is now currently a 3% service charge, on USD anyway. I guess I'm not shocked or surprised, but certainly disappointed.

The 'spread' at a money changer in town is ~ 10 satang (100 satang = 1 baht), while at a bank in town it might be ~ 65 satang, at the airport it was 1.6 baht (on Saturday)!

The Travelers Check rate was the same at the SCB branches at the airport, and those in town, 31.42 when I looked at both on Saturday.

FWIW, most savvy Thais head up to Soi Phradiphet (Saphan Kwai, yes there was once a bridge for buffaloes here ) for cash exchanges, but the rates are only microscopically better than SuperRich in Ratchadamri. Not worth the trouble IME unless you are exchanging thousands of Euros.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Is there any difference in the ATM exchange rate at BKK compared to in town?

I am well aware of the 150 baht charge, but am curious if the ATM exchange rate is less at the airport like the currency exchange booths.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.