The flood - share your contingency plans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.

I originally planned to arrive to BKK on dec 30 and depart on jan 2. I understand that my worries may be totally unfounded however I urged myself to put in place the following contingencies (will be flying from hkt):
- have booking in hkt for extra 3 days if I can not leave BKK (will be activated if I will have news that one can not leave airport perimeter)
- have booking at Novotel BKK airport if we can leave airport but not able to travel downtown
- have bookings at royal orchid sherton and jw Marriott Bangkok in case travel downtown will be available but one of these 2 flooded.

I don't plan for contingency that BKK will be flooded - should I?

What do you do in terms of contingencies (short of not going at all - can not disappoint my Thai friends by not traveling)

Ax

Last edited by AX9465; Nov 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm Reason: Fixed typo
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
As for myself:

I will be arriving BKK on November 14th and will be staying at the Peninsula Bangkok until the 17th.

Then I will be moving over to the St. Regis Bangkok and stay from the 17th to the 20th.

I currently have a backup booking at the Novotel BKK from the 14th until the 15th along with a full fare "C" booking on TG (which I would have the ticket issued at the airport if needed) to Chiang Mai on the 15th together with a backup booking at the Le Meridien Chiang Mai from the 15th to the 20th.

Prior to arriving in BKK, I will be monitoring the situation in the area where the Peninsula Bangkok is. If things take a turn for the worse, I would use the Novotel BKK reservation and fly to Chiang Mai the next day.

Assuming I do arrive in BKK and can get to the Peninsula Bangkok, the worse case scenario is that I would be prepared to not leave the hotel and spend all my time there. Once I determine that I would be staying at the Peninsula Bangkok, I would change the reservation at the Le Meridien Chiang Mai from the 15-20th to the 17-20th and my flight to Chiang Mai to the 17th in case I need it (if the area near the St. Regis BKK gets flooded).

The main purpose of my trip is to fly first class on the Thai Airways 777 (leased from Jet Airways) and to stay at the Peninsula Bangkok. I've been to Bangkok 10 years ago and have seen all the tourist sites.

Since I am not a "beach" type person, going to places like Koh Samui and Phuket are not really my alternatives.

Last edited by daniellam; Nov 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:58 am

There is no way i would want to be confined to my hotel. I have trudged the sights of Bangkok for many years and I guess its fair to say I have seen and done the tourist sights to death. So for me just being in and around Bangkok remains a big part of my Thailand vacation.
Bangkok floods may be the least of the problems for when i arrive. Should the floods have passed my main concern will be this..

Floods may indirectly lead to an increase in vector-borne diseases through the expansion in the number and range of vector habitats. Standing water caused by heavy rainfall or overflow of rivers can act as breeding sites for mosquitoes, and therefore enhance the potential for exposure of the disaster-affected population and emergency workers to infections such as dengue, malaria and West Nile fever. Flooding may initially flush out mosquito breeding, but it comes back when the waters recede. The lag time is usually around 6-8 weeks before the onset of a malaria epidemic.
And with that in mind my contingency plan is pure and simple.
http://www.jumeirah.com/hotels-and-r.../burj-al-arab/
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
Good plan. However, I've stayed there a couple times before and Dubai is rather boring.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
There is no way i would want to be confined to my hotel. I have trudged the sights of Bangkok for many years and I guess its fair to say I have seen and done the tourist sights to death. So for me just being in and around Bangkok remains a big part of my Thailand vacation.
Bangkok floods may be the least of the problems for when i arrive. Should the floods have passed my main concern will be this..

Floods may indirectly lead to an increase in vector-borne diseases through the expansion in the number and range of vector habitats. Standing water caused by heavy rainfall or overflow of rivers can act as breeding sites for mosquitoes, and therefore enhance the potential for exposure of the disaster-affected population and emergency workers to infections such as dengue, malaria and West Nile fever. Flooding may initially flush out mosquito breeding, but it comes back when the waters recede. The lag time is usually around 6-8 weeks before the onset of a malaria epidemic.
Oh dear, There are many painful things I'd rather endure than stay again at The Burj al Arab, Dubai. Awful place IMO. Abu Dhabi is so much better.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
Good plan. However, I've stayed there a couple times before and Dubai is rather boring.
I'm not looking for all night raves, not at least the inital part of my vacation. I have chosen that particular hotel as a contingecy plan in the event that Bkk flood levels reach Wireless Rd. and rise above my stilettos.
Its an easy en-route transition from the cold wintery shores of the UK for 5 nights just to enjoy sun and beach whilst staying in acceptable comfort.
From Dubai we fly to Ko Samui ( Zazen ) for a couple of weeks before continuing on the rest of our journey.
With nothing to much set in stone, we have the choice of staying in Bkk on our return journey to the UK. Floods permitting.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:27 pm

I decided to just not go. So I do not have a contingency plan.
I'm currently looking at a plan to visit Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam instead.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL/silver
Thai airways has cancelled some flights inter asia
also some flights btwn bkk and lhrhttp://airlineroute.net/2011/11/08/tg-nov11/

Last edited by greg47; Nov 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:01 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Waters are receding. Looks like the backup plans may not be necessary.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Very happy to read that, Sean. Stay safe. ^
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK, SPG LT Platinum(RIP), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
This is the best news I have heard in some time!!! Thank you. ^
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:50 pm

Angry

Unfortunately I fell ill in Paris (just before boarding my TG F flight, and had to go to the hospital for a few hours) and did not make it to Bangkok.

I am currently at the Hiltion Paris CDG waiting for my flight back to Vancouver Canada (purchased return last minute business class ticket [only 2 seats left via YYZ]) as I don't feel like travelling anymore due to feeling traumatized by the Paris hospital emergency room ordeal. The Business class fares ex-CDG seem to be rather reasonable.

Looks like I will be using the return portion of my newly purchased ticket to return to CDG at a later time and continue using my TG F ticket to BKK (Aeroplan mini-RTW award with partially flown segments up to CDG) at a later time.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by daniellam
Looks like I will be using the return portion of my newly purchased ticket to return to CDG at a later time and continue using my TG F ticket to BKK (Aeroplan mini-RTW award with partially flown segments up to CDG) at a later time.
I am sorry to hear about your health issues and with you a speedy recovery. Did you have any specific travel insurance that covers interruption of AP award trip, or did you make other arrangements?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Merlin666
I am sorry to hear about your health issues and with you a speedy recovery. Did you have any specific travel insurance that covers interruption of AP award trip, or did you make other arrangements?
I had AC at CDG put a note into my PNR after showing them the note from the hospital. I then called Aeroplan and they told me that I have 1 year from the date the first segment was flown to finish using the ticket. Luckily, I have already flown 3 of the 10 segments. Had I not flown any segments, then I would only have 1 year from the date the ticket was issued to use it.

Since I bought a CDG-YVR-CDG roundtrip ticket, I am going to use the return portion to go back to CDG and resume my TG F trip at a later date.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:41 pm

Just be careful of the water borne diseases. Not to mention the distribution is still disrupted for consumer goods.

I know that they would like tourist dollars coming in, but IMHO it's too risky to visit for awhile. If somebody was doing a SE Asian nation hopping trip, then I would recommend flying to Phuket or Chiang Mai directly and skipping Bangkok entirely.

As we read this forum, there are thousands of people that work in Bangkok with water inside their houses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.