Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok: Political Rally Planned

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Exclamation Bangkok: Political Rally Planned

Just an FYI for those who are or will be in one of the area hotels, or who planned on shopping/sightseeing at Central, Gaysorn, Central World, Big C, MBK, Siam Paragon... email from US Embassy reads:

Starting at 1630 hours today, June 23rd, and running until about 2100 hours, the Democrat Party is scheduled to hold a political rally in front of CentralWorld mall, and the Ratchaprasong intersection, to include Rama I, Ploenchit, and Rajdamri Roads. Police estimate 5,000 people could be in attendance.

Over 350 Royal Thai Police will be on hand to direct traffic and keep order during the rally. Nevertheless, US Citizens are advised to avoid this intersection as traffic and crowds will make it nearly impassable. Additionally, Skytrain stations are likely to be extremely crowded and overtaxed, as rally attendees are being encouraged to take the BTS to the event. Please bear this in mind when you commute this evening.
The Embassy is not aware of any general, specific, or implied threat to US interests throughout this period; however US Citizens are reminded that the potential for random acts of politically-motivated violence remains.. As a precaution, personnel should stay away from any known areas of protests or large public gatherings.. Personnel are encouraged to maintain a heightened sense of awareness, be cognizant of any unattended packages/bags in public/crowded places, and report any suspicious behavior to the nearest law enforcement personnel.
The map they included shows significant anticipated traffic impact east to at least Wireless Road, north to at least Petchaburi, west to at least Phaya Thai, and south to at least Rama IV. There probably will be no problems, but as many know from experience, the resultant road congestion will likely be a nightmare, with the BTS option pretty much shot.

Have fun, boys and girls.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Wondering how the rally went (hopefully it was peaceful). As the election date nears, I'm sure there will be more of this sort of rallying by the factions competing for votes.

I'm watching with interest, as I hope to be in BKK shortly after election day for about 10-12 days.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by sim510
I hope to be in BKK shortly after election day for about 10-12 days.
I hope you will be ok
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I'm sure I'll be just fine. I've been in BKK during unrest before, so I know how to avoid situations. I'll be curious to see what happens if/when Taksin's sister takes the helm. I think that's how this whole thing will pan out. Thoughts anyone?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:15 pm

Wondering how the rally went (hopefully it was peaceful). .
It had minimal impact in the area. Traffic was great coming from Mo Chit to Phloen Chit (via car). I think a lot of people avoided the area due to concerns about the rally, which actually made it easier than normal to get around.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm sure I'll be just fine. I've been in BKK during unrest before, so I know how to avoid situations. I'll be curious to see what happens if/when Taksin's sister takes the helm. I think that's how this whole thing will pan out. Thoughts anyone?
With the deposed PM still having thoughts of granduer, if Ying Lack wins, he will be returning for his daughter's wedding in December, if not sooner. And with the Thai judicial system dependent upon who has power at the time he'll then be free to do as he feels.

Would Ying Lack be his proxy for returning to government as he hoped that Samak and Somchai Wongsawat would be? That's an interesting question. Samak proved too ambitious and Somchai was too weak.

As I see it right now, the PAD's (yellow shirts) desire for their people to 'vote no' pretty much guarantees Peua Thai having more MP positions than the Democrats and putting them in the catbird seat for forming a coalition. My cynical view is the PAD wants this so they can once again step up with their protests and re-fill their coffers from the disenchanted. The 'no vote' although portrayed as disappoint with the Democrats is more about the PAD's power than anything else.

There will be lots of complications from the above. To what extent will be interesting to watch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.