Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Heading to Thailand next week - any scams to beware of?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD

Having been in China for nearly a year now and just yseterday learning about the DCC and teahouse scam, I'm a little wary of other SE Asia touristy places.

I'm heading to Rayong through BKK; only thing my coworkers told me was "stay the hell away from prostitutes and their aids."

Not particularly helpful, especially when saying that around my wife, since I don't engage in said activity.

Anyway, would like a heads up on scams if you know of any.

Last edited by 2tall4economy; Jun 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:37 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
dont rent a jetski, dont take a free taxi ^^
take care when u rent cars/motorbike.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Don't listen to anyone who says a place is closed and suggests another instead.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Do a search under "scams" in this forum and the Asia forum.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Most likely.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Most likely.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
do not take a TukTuk 3 wheeler in Bangkok, if the taxi will not start the meter get out and find another taxi,

do not go to gem stores , get a suit made at home ,

Anyone that comes up to you on the street and wants to be your friend is trying to sell you something......

Pretend you do not speak english ! or listen to your iPod

But really its not too bad , if you just ignone these guys,

and read up on what is proper clothes for visiting a Wat or the Palace ,

OHHH and do not litter , big fine that seems to only be for tourists !

Rally
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:03 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Do not follow anyone that wants to take you to a ping pong show

There is no such thing as a 20 Baht Tuk Tuk ride.... it's a sure way to see overpriced commission drenched shops instead of going to your destination

Do not do anyone a favor and change their big foreign bills for your legitimate smaller ones.

COUNT YOUR CHANGE EVERYWHERE

Do NOT treat hotel safes or safety deposit boxes at the front desk as secure facilities... if you use a hotel inroom safe, change the passcode even if you're using a key.

Watch for extra drinks being added to your 'bin' at bars and restaurants. (the sure way is to pay for each round).

Remember:
Good not cheap
Cheap not good
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
simplest way to avoid people bugging you... 'I live in [Bangkok/Beijing/city where you are currently being hassled]'.

Works pretty well and they give up straight away knowing they're wasting their time.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

Do not believe anyone who tells you the Grand Palace is closed midday, and that while you wait for it to reopen, they can take you to another interesting temple - oh, and a gem shop, too.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do not believe anyone who tells you the Grand Palace is closed midday, and that while you wait for it to reopen, they can take you to another interesting temple - oh, and a gem shop, too.
lol. I've been to the Grand Palace before when it was closed. I had been there multiple times before.

The guy is like, "Yeah it's closed. Go stand over there. It will be open at 11:30".
I say, "Uhhhh, yeah."
So we walk to the next door. "It's closed, go wait over there"
We walk to the next door, same thing.
Next door, same thing.

It really was closed. The doors opened at the exact time the guy said they would. The crowd went inside and all was well.

Very good advice in this thread.
The main point is, if it sounds too good to be true, then it most certainly is.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redondo-beach
do not take a TukTuk 3 wheeler in Bangkok
Not sure I'd go that far. But before you take a tuk tuk ask the hotel (anyone) what they think they trip should cost so you don't agree to a seriously inflated price.

OHHH and do not litter , big fine that seems to only be for tourists !

Rally
That happens in a very few, very specific tourist oriented areas. As I stay away from those places like the plague I've never actually witnessed it.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: most of them
do not take a TukTuk 3 wheeler in Bangkok, if the taxi will not start the meter get out and find another taxi,

do not go to gem stores , get a suit made at home ,

Rally
I have never had any interest in riding in a tuktuk. The guys in Silom usually don't try too hard to sell you a ride.

I wouldn't make absolute statements about gem stores. there are plenty of reputable shops. And there's no cost to just go in and look around anyway. I have had some very nice jewelry made in Bangkok over the years. I have had it appraised after getting home and typically it has been valued at several hundred dollars more than I paid for it. The key is to never accept the first price they offer you. Just hesitating for a minute will start the calculator buzzing with discounts. Plenty of room to haggle over the prices.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I wouldn't make absolute statements about gem stores. there are plenty of reputable shops. And there's no cost to just go in and look around anyway. I have had some very nice jewelry made in Bangkok over the years. I have had it appraised after getting home and typically it has been valued at several hundred dollars more than I paid for it. The key is to never accept the first price they offer you. Just hesitating for a minute will start the calculator buzzing with discounts. Plenty of room to haggle over the prices.

This is true, but no reputable shop will use deception to lure in unsuspecting tourists.

Anyone claiming that a landmark/attraction is "closed" in the middle of the day in an effort to lead a tourist elsewhere is not to be trusted. Usually this leads to some kind of a scam (most likely a gem scam).
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Take metered taxi from the airport taxi line, not a taxi from a tout inside the airport.

Make sure the driver uses the meter.

When in Bangkok, taxis parked outside hotel and tourist destinations are more likely to try to overcharge you and refuse to use the meter. you may have to walk away and flag down a moving taxi.

Don't go to an upstairs bar in the Patpong red light district, they are clip joints.

Well dressed girls who stop you in tourist areas and ask you to fill out a tourism survey are probably trying to sell you a time share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.