Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Visa on arrival details

Visa on arrival details

Old Mar 15, 11, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Visa on arrival details

I have to obtain a visa on arrival at BKK. The max stay allowed is 15 days. My return ticket from the US is for 20 days. However, I will be leaving to Cambodia for 3 days after 2 days in Bangkok, come back to BKK for 2 days, and then leave to Myanmar for 5 days, again coming back to Bangkok for the rest of the time. I have already purchased all my return tickets. Therefore, my continuous stay in Thailand would never be more than 15 days. Would I have problems with obtaining the VOA? Thanks!

Last edited by flyersky1; Mar 15, 11 at 2:31 pm
Old Mar 15, 11, 9:03 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
It sounds like you'll need 3 visa on arrivals.

If I understand correctly, your nationality requires a visa on arrival to enter. Alternatively, it could be possible to get a re-entry permit for your original permitted-to-stay date, but the time cost and inconvenience of the re-entry permit make this route a poor plan.

Either get a triple entry tourist, or multiple entry non-immigrant visa before coming, or get ready to stand in line each time you enter for VOA.

Someone, please correct me if this is not accurate.
Old Mar 15, 11, 9:36 am

Sean, that sounds right.

Flyersky, your nationality requires a visa, right? If you're not sure just tell us what country your passport is from and we can help you out.
Old Mar 15, 11, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies! Yes, my nationality (Bulgaria) requires to obtain the 15 day visa on arrival. I'm also a US green card holder but I guess this doesn't help. For some reason I overlooked this issue and now I have 1 day before my trip so guess I have to stand in line 3 times. My only worry is if this is allowed and if I can do anything else while I'm there. Thanks!

Last edited by flyersky1; Mar 15, 11 at 2:32 pm
Old Mar 15, 11, 2:47 pm

I would imagine it will be ok. Make sure you have all your itineraries printed out so you can show them to immigration. I'm just guessing though because I really do not know.

You just have to wait in line 3 times. You already bought all your tickets. I would have suggested a slightly different itinerary.

BKK few days
Cambodia few days
Burma few days
BKK few days

You can fly from Cambodia to Burma via Kuala Lumpur. I don't know what the layover time would be in KL but you would save some money on flights and avoid seeing Bangkok in 2 day chunks.

Enjoy your trip!!! Have a safe flight.
Old Mar 15, 11, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CrazyInteg! That itinerary looks good. The reason I'm going through BKK, however, is that i'm only flying to REP, and BKK is the easiest transfer to RGN. I scanned some of the previous threads of the waiting times for visa on arrival. Does anyone have more recent updates about that and how to minimize the wait? I'm arriving in BKK on UA from NRT the first time and then Bangkok airways from REP and Thai airasia from RGN.

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg View Post
I would imagine it will be ok. Make sure you have all your itineraries printed out so you can show them to immigration. I'm just guessing though because I really do not know.

You just have to wait in line 3 times. You already bought all your tickets. I would have suggested a slightly different itinerary.

BKK few days
Cambodia few days
Burma few days
BKK few days

You can fly from Cambodia to Burma via Kuala Lumpur. I don't know what the layover time would be in KL but you would save some money on flights and avoid seeing Bangkok in 2 day chunks.

Enjoy your trip!!! Have a safe flight.
Old Mar 15, 11, 3:44 pm

Programs: most of them
BKK few days
Cambodia few days
Burma few days
BKK few days

Your itinerary idea makes sense. Why couldn't one just connect from Cambodia to Myanmar via BKK though? That would seem much more sensible than going to KL to connect. As long as they are just in transit there would be no need to worry about visas at that point.

Of course it's all a moot point anyway.

Have a great time, OP!
Old Mar 15, 11, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks glennaa11! Well, I could just try changing my tickets if I don't need to get a visa to transit. Even with the change fees that maybe a better idea if the wait is too long, and I would also save on the hotel for 1 night in Bangkok. My itinerary looked so good just a day ago, and now looks like a mess!

Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
Your itinerary idea makes sense. Why couldn't one just connect from Cambodia to Myanmar via BKK though? That would seem much more sensible than going to KL to connect. As long as they are just in transit there would be no need to worry about visas at that point.

Of course it's all a moot point anyway.

Have a great time, OP!
Old Mar 16, 11, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by flyersky1 View Post
Thanks glennaa11! Well, I could just try changing my tickets if I don't need to get a visa to transit. Even with the change fees that maybe a better idea if the wait is too long, and I would also save on the hotel for 1 night in Bangkok. My itinerary looked so good just a day ago, and now looks like a mess!
The change fees for PG are generally 1500B for international tix beginning in BKK. I've recently made a change on the BKK-REP-BKK return and that was the cost.

There will be no need for a visa when in transit which will save you hassles and some money (taxi/hotel for 1 night in BKK).
Old Mar 19, 11, 8:37 am
Original Poster

A first update with my actual experience. Arriving from NRT on UA, the clearance of immigration was very fast. On the VOA desk, there were 3-4 people in front of me. I had to fill in a form, which took 5 mins and one photo, and then another 10 min wait at the desk. The officer asked me for a departure ticket, so I showed him the printout for my ticket to REP, and that was fine. They told me that I can do VOA as many times as I want. Hopefully the wait will be similar the next 2 times. I will report back. Also, the visa is free until March 31. I looked into changing the ticket to RGN to include only a transfer, however the times did not suit me very well, given I want to maximize the sightseeing.
Old Mar 20, 11, 6:41 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; HERO200 Build/FRG83) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sounds good!
Old Mar 20, 11, 6:44 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; HERO200 Build/FRG83) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sounds good!
Old Mar 30, 11, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Both my second (from REP) and third (from RGN) arrivals went on pretty smoothly. You can get the VOA as many times as you want. Also, I did not wait more than 15 mins each time. They even announce on the board that it takes 1 min per person but actually it takes a bit more. All visas to Thailand were free until March 31 so it did not cost me anything, except a little extra wait time.
Old Mar 30, 11, 12:55 pm

How was your trip? I hear the weather is cool right now.
Old Apr 1, 11, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Cambodia and Burma was great, and hot. I'm in Krabi right now. It was pouring non-stop for 3 days, with some sun for the last two. I'm planning to write a TR with pics when I come back.
How was your trip? I hear the weather is cool right now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: